• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clostridium Butyricum - A Game Changer?

Peyt

Hi,
Does anyone suffer from constipation not due to hard stool but rather soft stool that does not move well?
This has been my problem and I have tried many probiotics none of which has really helped.
One thing that helped temporarily was fish oil... I was surprised that it did. But I had to stop it because I get really bad headaches when I take fish oil (And I tried 4 different brands and all gave me headaches)...
The improvement I noticed while I was on fish oil for a few days along with the fact that I have always had dry skin and dry hair and itchy skin for many years made me think: What if the problem is not so much the bacteria but the dryness of the intestinal walls that is causing this slow motility in my case?
I mean, most people assume that all constipation is the same, but it's not! Having hard stool that is hard to pass and gets better using stool softeners is completely different then having soft stool that does not move well.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me as far as trying other types of oils to see if I hopefully will get the same benefit as I experienced from Fish oils without the headaches. ?
Has anyone tried Castor Oil?

tango

I've been taking AOR probiotic-3 for a couple of weeks. I have had a lot of extra energy and improved mood. I often tend towards diarrhoea but with the AOR I have firm stool.

All in all it's a game changer for me. I'm shocked at the difference. The improvement was almost immediate.

The instructions say to take it between meals but I usually take it with food. What's everyone else doing?

Last edited:

hixxy

Miyarisan caused worsened fermentation for me. Same thing happens with most probiotics. About the only one that reliably doesn't cause it is Mutaflor which does not much at all.

tango

Many probiotics make me worse but the AOR probiotic-3 is amazing for me. I've also found avoiding the histamine releasing or producing probiotics helpful and I can no longer tolerate the probiotic yeasts or fermented vegetables. Yoghurt seems to be okay.

Anyone here supplementing with Clostridium Butyricum? Are you taking it with food or on an empty stomach?

Crux

Does anyone suffer from constipation not due to hard stool but rather soft stool that does not move well?
This has been my problem and I have tried many probiotics none of which has really helped.
One thing that helped temporarily was fish oil... I was surprised that it did. But I had to stop it because I get really bad headaches when I take fish oil (And I tried 4 different brands and all gave me headaches)...

I think you may be referring to slow transit constipation. One possible cause is excessive production of nitric oxide.(NO) This can happen when there is some inflammation, possible infection.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12004206

Excess NO can relax the colon and lessen contractions.

The headaches may also be caused by too much NO. Fish oil can increase it.

Clostridium butyricum produces hydrogen, and some gut microbes will use it for growth. Some microbes, like archea, can cause constipation.

tango

Is Clostridium Butyricum best taken with food or on an empty stomach?

The instructions say on an empty stomach but most probiotics are best taken with food / fibre / starch

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I generally take it before going to bed and try to avoid taking it within a couple of hours of eating.

tango

Has that been helpful for you? I feel like it works better for me with food but I may be imagining that. They're expensive pills so I'd like to take them at the optimal time ;)

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
It's been very helpful for me. I tend to be of the opinion that the benefit I receive might be due to it competing with negative bacteria or yeasts, such as candida, but this is just a guess. I've worked up to taking 4-5 per day but it took months to get there. I wonder if a lot of the negative reactions people have is due to "die off" symptoms.

I do worry about negative bacteria/yeast building up resistance so I've tried switching over to other probiotics, such as Prescript Assist and Mutaflor, but neither seemed as effective to me though others swear by them. I think Saccharomyces Boulardii will be the next one I try.

Also, If it works better for you when taken with food I'd continue doing it that way. I've tried taking them with potato starch but that seemed like it boosted it's effectiveness too much for me. Maybe this would work better for you though.

There is so little known about what does or doesn't work with probiotics that it can be pretty hit-and-miss. What works for one person doesn't always give the same results for others. You're just going to have to experiment on yourself to see what works best for you.

tango

Other probiotics haven't been spectacular for me. I've had small benefits (especially if I get strains that don't promote histamine) but nothing as substantial as this. I can't believe the extra energy and lightness I feel. I'm happier!!!

I think it's healing my gut. I'm hoping that it will also warm me up as it's meant to help cold tolerance and I am ultra sensitive to the cold

Saccharomyces Boulardii used to work for me but is now horrid and gives me diarrhoea but I may try it again in a month or so to see if my system tolerates it.

There's a lot of good information here on the AOR Probiotic
http://www.nhpassist.com/products/aor/probiotic-3

alicec

I feel like it works better for me with food but I may be imagining that

There are two schools of thought on when is the best time to take probiotics. Some say well away from food so stomach acids are not in play. Some say with food so that protein can absorb stomach acid.

The fact that diametrically opposed advice is given probably means that no-one knows and it doesn't really matter.

Many probiotic strains and preparations are now acid resistant.

If a particular time seems to suit you better that is as good a reason as any to keep taking it at that time.

tango

Thanks Alice!
Okay I heard it slightly different. I heard the take with food school of thought was so that the bacteria have food to help them multiply and make a home in your gut and bowel. Otherwise they just carry on through your digestive tract. With prebiotic material they can multiply and establish themselves. That's why a lot of probiotics have fibre included in the pills.

I take so many pills that it's easier with meals. If I took all the pills I'm told need to be on an empty stomach I would never eat! I really want to cut down pills and I'm seeing that this pill is a keeper and I will gradually drop some others. I am increasing my licorice and lysine and a few others and trying to streamline things ;)

alicec

with food school of thought was so that the bacteria have food to help them multiply and make a home in your gut and bowel

Yes I forgot about that idea. While I certainly agree that if we want the probiotic bacteria to thrive in our gut it is important to feed them properly, it seems fanciful to imagine that a couple of hours is going to make a difference to an organism that has been sitting in a bottle for months if not years.

hi sir Peyt, If you have issues with dry skin while consuming the oil, here's an alternative..papaya, it will form stool which is easy to expel, papaya has vit.A, VitC, great for rejuvenating skin cells, you'll have glowing skin. Aloe ferox which has a laxative like effect.. these are combined in natural products :) I am just a message away for more info..

Is Clostridium Butyricum best taken with food or on an empty stomach?

The instructions say on an empty stomach but most probiotics are best taken with food / fibre / starch
Is this safe?

what i know about Clostridium species is that they are food spoilers and cause disease.. such as botulism.. Cloastridium deficile is also actually fatal. How does this species of clostridium differ? very much inetersted..thanks.

yes..fibers such as papaya, cardamom, wormwood tree, fennel and aloe ferox... read through each of the herbs and see how it can help clean the digetsive system, heal, and prevent and cure even chronic constipation..best when combined!

xena

Every time you take an effective probiotic or prebiotic, all the hot spots of infection in your body will light up like a Christmas tree. I get bladder, throat, sinuses. Sometimes it will be in areas you didn't know you had an infection in like the mesenteric lymph nodes.
@Sidereal Is that because the probiotic / prebiotic is boosting immmunity or suppressing it?

I had read that butyrate was an antiinflammatory and previous RS and sodium butyrate supplementing has always produced uniformly positive antiinflammatory effects

So im baffled by the fluish effects from Miyarisan, which I'm seeing are consistent with others symptoms earlier on this thread