• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS/ME and intracellular hypothyroidism

Float

free t4 13.8 (12-20) low end pmol/l
free t3 5.7 (3.4 - 6) high end pmol/l
total t4 80.6 (77-150) low end nmol/l
tsh 4.15 (1 - 4) slightly raised mIU/L
t4:t3 2.4 (2.5 - 4.0) low
on these figures she was not diagnosed as hypothyroid, but it is interesting that very low normal end t4 levels have produced a high end free t3 - perhaps what this theory is based on?
my results (same units):-

I'm a member of a great thyroid forum and one possibility for high t3 with low t4 , is that t4 is also getting made into reverse t3 (inactive and blocks t3 receptors ).
I learnt that on the forum so you'll have to fact check.
Reverse t3 is produced under stress .
If I pretend for a minute that's what we're looking at here, and then assume the stress continued, eventually you would see t4 deplete more, followed by t3 , as reverse t3 takes priority.
Even with a high t3, reverse t3 blocks reveptors, making the person feel hypothyroid, even with adequate t3 on labs.
Sorry if I patronised or repeated as I have not read the whole thread.

Float

Hi @Float -- Thanks for your interesting post. :thumbsup: Could you post a link to that thyroid forum? -- Thanks!
https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk
They have a bunch of scientists in the background as well as laypeople.

There is another one on FB called TANZI (thyroid association new Zealand ?)
I can't get onto FB to get you the link.
In its early days it was nearly purely informative and some deep science and support. Some of the original science boffins have left it now but still helpful for some.