• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS/ME a viral or mitochondrial cause?

Davsey27

Curious what you guys think about this in being caused by viruses like herpes family or caused by poor.mitochochondrial. functioning?

Maybe the virus leads to.worse mitochondria.functioning?

I wonder if one can have good or above average mitochondrial functioning and still have this condition.I also wonder if PEM is related to mitochondrial functioning

Thanks all

ljimbo423

Curious what you guys think about this in being caused by viruses like herpes family or caused by poor.mitochochondrial. functioning?

My view is that most symptoms are caused by the low grade brain inflammation ME/CFS researcher Jarrod Younger and others have found.

I think mitochondrial dysfunction can cause some minor symptoms but the most debilitating and severe are caused by brain inflammation.

I also have my own theory about what causes both but am hesitant to share that view because so many people have their own point of view about what causes ME/CFS and some people get very offended by other views.

Rufous McKinney

I think mitochondrial dysfunction can cause some minor symptoms but the most debilitating and severe are caused by brain inflammation.

I think the brain inflammation...is a key feature. Then with tissue squeezed, impaired function spreads from there... . But I do feel the degrading of collagen then FURTHER causes tissue squeeze and FURTHER feeds some inflammation... and I think that degraded collagen contributes to the IBS issues and Blood Brain barrier weaking issues.

but I'm not invested in any particular view

Just, Please fix soon, thank you.

(in a side note, I found a photo of my fingertips from over ten years ago and: fingerprints were missing all the way back then...so this has been going on for a while).

Davsey27

Mr LJimbo

How do you begin to address this brain inflammation?

Thank you

My view is that most symptoms are caused by the low grade brain inflammation ME/CFS researcher Jarrod Younger and others have found.

I also have my own theory about what causes both but am hesitant to share that view because so many people have their own point of view about what causes ME/CFS and some people get very offended by other views.

ljimbo423

Mr LJimbo

How do you begin to address this brain inflammation?

Thank you

First I would like to say, I agree with @gregh286, that ME/CFS originates in the gut.

I take high dose Epa/Dha, 5 grams a day from 10 grams of fish oil. Studies show this has anti-inflammatory effects in the brain.

High dose Epa/Dha has almost completely stopped the flu-like flares I use to get fairly regularly. I have only had 2 I think in almost a year!

I also take anti-inflammatories like Curcumin and Resveratrol. Which are also suppose to be good for brain inflammation according to studies.

Davsey27

Autoimmune disease of body wide...against CNS....HPa...high inflammation.....poor gut....weak Krebs cycle.....high oxidative stress.....
Think it gut originated.....poor gut barrier function. Perhaps.autoimmune against gut barrier.

I hear you on the gut connection as I hear squeeking,squirming ,churping,rumbling noises around the gut daily.How does one begin to address the gut?

thanks Greg

Wishful

I think we don't know enough at this point to say where the problem lies. My personal belief is that the immune system is definitely involved, particularly the microglial system, and that many of the symptoms may be due to incorrect levels of some of the kynurenines. I see no evidence in my own body of a significant gut-ME link. I also don't see any evidence to convince me of a viral connection. I think it's a problem of balance between different subsystems, maybe microglial and mitochondrial, and various factors (genetic, ageing, environmental) may tip the balance into a positive feedback loop.

Maybe it's the chronic low-grade neuroinflammation making them cranky. :D

Davsey27

First I would like to say, I agree with @gregh286, that ME/CFS originates in the gut.

I take high dose Epa/Dha, 5 grams a day from 10 grams of fish oil. Studies show this has anti-inflammatory effects in the brain.

High dose Epa/Dha has almost completely stopped the flu-like flares I use to get fairly regularly. I have only had 2 I think in almost a year!

I also take anti-inflammatories like Curcumin and Resveratrol. Which are also suppose to be good for brain inflammation according to studies.

Thanks for sharing this

gregh286

Yes I take 5g also. It's highly beneficial.

Centime Tara

I use the one made by Thorne. It’s called Super EPA Pro. It’s on the expensive side, but the company has an excellent reputation for purity and exact dosages. I have to take digestive enzymes with it because otherwise I get heartburn. After reading this thread, I’m going to increase the dose.