• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Case definition for Progressive ME

xrunner

"Based primarily on the history and findings, we propose that the patient’s current illness represents a progressive form of ME. Knowledge of this and other cases suggests that its main characteristics are:
1. A worsening of existing neurological symptoms or new symptoms, e.g. blurred vision in one eye, weakness in one leg, incontinence.
2. A sudden increase in sensitivities and gastro-intestinal symptoms.
3. Any improvements are limited and the disability tends to show a downwards trend.
4. The patient has to spend more time at home or in bed.
5. The development of new auto-immune diseases or symptoms"

Except for 5 and different neurological symptoms that was me a few years ago.
Similarly to the patient in this case, I also started to progressively decline after an "unremarkable gastro-intestinal upset" (possibly a virus).
I feel so blessed I found a Dr who wasn't afraid to use his clinical judgement in making a diagnosis of Lyme disease and then suggest effective "unorthodox" treatment for it. This halted my deterioration and reversed it.

Perhaps it needn't be rocket science... that may be in patients, as in my case and others, who deteriorate over time the progressive nature of their illness could be driven by the same infection who triggered the disease or other "hidden" co-infections.
But of course in today's medical world, tests are deemed infallible and absolute truth whilst clinical considerations just minor details.

"Her medical history is not typical of ME as she recalled experiencing periods of weakness in her legs, nausea and dizziness intermittently during childhood. When she was 8, her GP considered acute rheumatic fever as her ASO titre was raised (>1200 U/ml) but the patient does not remember red or tender joints, tremors, arthalgia or erythema marginatum. Moreover, her ECG was normal and there were no other signs of cardiac involvement. It is noteworthy, however, that during and after the 6 years of prophylactic penicillin G, she felt slightly better and was almost symptom free for a year."

"like MS; ‘chronic post viral fatigue syndrome’ is associated with post-exertional worsening,
paresthesiae and dizziness. However, in his view, the parasthesiae tend to be of a different type: in the latter, they often have a burning, painful component and a migratory characteristic. “Such sensory complaints are unusual in MS.”

I'm no doctor but this seems to me it could well be chronic Lyme...