• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Carotid body dysregulation contributes to Long COVID symptoms, 2024

pattismith

@Violeta

Carotid body dysregulation contributes to Long COVID symptoms​

Abstract​

Background​

The symptoms of long COVID, which include fatigue, breathlessness, dysregulated breathing, and exercise intolerance, have unknown mechanisms. These symptoms are also observed in heart failure and are partially driven by increased sensitivity of the carotid chemoreflex. As the carotid body has an abundance of ACE2 (the cell entry mechanism for SARS-CoV-2), we investigated whether carotid chemoreflex sensitivity was elevated in participants with long COVID.

Methods​

Non-hositalised participants with long-COVID (n = 14) and controls (n = 14) completed hypoxic ventilatory response (HVR; the measure of carotid chemoreflex sensitivity) and cardiopulmonary exercise tests. Parametric and normally distributed data were compared using Student’s unpaired t-tests or ANOVA. Nonparametric equivalents were used where relevant. Peason’s correlation coefficient was used to examine relationships between variables.

Results​

During cardiopulmonary exercise testing the VE/VCO2 slope (a measure of breathing efficiency) was higher in the long COVID group (37.8 ± 4.4) compared to controls (27.7 ± 4.8, P = 0.0003), indicating excessive hyperventilation. The HVR was increased in long COVID participants (−0.44 ± 0.23 l/min/ SpO2%, R2 = 0.77 ± 0.20) compared to controls (−0.17 ± 0.13 l/min/SpO2%, R2 = 0.54 ± 0.38, P = 0.0007). The HVR correlated with the VE/VCO2 slope (r = −0.53, P = 0.0036), suggesting that excessive hyperventilation may be related to carotid body hypersensitivity.

Conclusions​

The carotid chemoreflex is sensitised in long COVID and may explain dysregulated breathing and exercise intolerance in these participants. Tempering carotid body excitability may be a viable treatment option for long COVID patients.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43856-024-00447-5

Violeta

Thank you, @pattismith, I have to try to understand this, so many new words when I look up carotid body.

LOL, I looked up carotid body before reading the study and found this:

The carotid body is a 2 to 6 mm, round bilateral sensory organ in the peripheral nervous system located in the adventitia of the bifurcation of the common carotid artery.
The carotid body is situated on the posterior aspect of the bifurcation of the common carotid artery. The carotid body is made up of two types of cells, called glomus cells: glomus type I cells are peripheral chemoreceptors, and glomus type II cells are sustentacular supportive cells.

I see the study has a "plain language" summary. Phfew!

Last edited: