• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can you get ME/CFS from shock/chronic stress?

Hip

Just wondering if you can get ME/CFS from shock or a big stressful event happening?

A few studies have shown that major chronic stress (such as that from divorce, bereavement, etc) is quite common in the year before ME/CFS is triggered. This is not the same as acute stress; chronic stress is something which lasts for many months.

But ME/CFS is also usually precipitated by a viral infection. It's likely that the known immune-suppressing effects of chronic stress may allow the virus to do more damage or invade more areas of the body than it does normally.

So the expensive chronic fatigue places that claim they can cure chronic fatigue with programmes that involve psychological things such as CBT could this actually cure the fatigue, but only if your chronic fatigue was caused by stress (not a viral infection) ?

Hip

So the expensive chronic fatigue places that claim they can cure chronic fatigue with programmes that involve psychological things such as CBT could this actually cure the fatigue, but only if your chronic fatigue was caused by stress (not a viral infection) ?

I don't think ME/CFS can be caused just by stress. But I suspect if you catch an ME/CFS virus during a period of chronic stress which weakens your immune system, that may lead to ME/CFS.

But once the stressful period is over, and your stress levels return to normal, then any psychological therapies which try to de-stress you are not likely to work, because the stress has gone away anyway. However, if somehow that stress has become locked-in to your brain, like a learned stress response, then perhaps a de-stress therapy after the event may work.

On rare occasions you hear stories of ME/CFS patients improving from psychological therapies like Reverse Therapy, which addresses their learned stress response. There have been two cases on this forum of patients improving after Reverse Therapy.

Last edited:

Float

Yes it's well known that many people with me cfs became Ill following prolonged or intense stress. I'm sure you'll find that in the science. They always used to write that preceeding stress was one of the few common factors a cross patients. That was before they found more commonality of course.

I don't think ME/CFS can be caused just by stress. But I suspect if you catch an ME/CFS virus during a period of chronic stress which weakens your immune system, that may lead to ME/CFS.

But once the stressful period is over, and your stress levels return to normal, then any psychological therapies which try to de-stress you are not likely to work, because the stress has gone away anyway. However, if somehow that stress has become locked-in to your brain, like a learned stress response, then perhaps a de-stress therapy after the event may work.

On rare occasions you hear stories of ME/CFS patients improving from psychological therapies like Reverse Therapy, which addresses their learned stress response. There have been two cases on this forum of patients improving after Reverse Therapy.

Thanks for your reply. Are we any closer to finding a blood test or cure for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome than say a few years ago?

Hip

Are we any closer to finding a blood test or cure for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome than say a few years ago?

Not much advance in terms of a blood test.

In terms of a cure, I don't think there has been much progress either. Although there are a number of ME/CFS treatments that can often improve ME/CFS.

Treatments which have a track record of helping ME/CFS and are used by various ME/CFS doctors, or which have been shown effective in studies, include:

B12 methylcobalamin injections (or transdermal B12 oils)
Methylation protocol
Low-dose naltrexone
Oxymatrine (immunomodulator for enterovirus ME/CFS)
Inosine (good add-on immunomodulator with oxymatrine)
Epivir (for enterovirus ME/CFS)
Valcyte (for HHV-6 or cytomegalovirus ME/CFS)
Valtrex or Famvir (for EBV ME/CFS)
GcMAF injections (antiviral immunomodulator)
Tenofovir (antiviral immunomodulator)
Nexavir (porcine liver extract, an antiviral immunomodulator)

Ampligen (antiviral immunomodulator, but hard to get and expensive)
IVIG (expensive)
Interferon beta (antiviral immunomodulator, expensive and benefits usually do not last)

Piracetam (good supplement for brain fog)
Nimodipine (good drug for brain fog and brain blood flow)
Methylphenidate (stimulant drug for brain fog and fatigue)
Dichloroacetate (supplement for brain fog, fatigue and pain, boosts mitochondria)
Modafinil (stimulant drug for brain fog)
Moclobemide (dopamine-boosting drug for fatigue)

Pyridostigmine (reduces or eliminates PEM)
D-ribose (to speed up PEM recovery)
Dichloroacetate (improves fatigue and brain fog)
Probiotics and prebiotics (if there are gut issues)
Rifaximin (for IBS or gut dysbiosis)

Not much advance in terms of a blood test.

In terms of a cure, I don't think there has been much progress either. Although there are a number of ME/CFS treatments that can often improve ME/CFS.

Treatments which have a track record of helping ME/CFS and are used by various ME/CFS doctors, or which have been shown effective in studies, include:

B12 methylcobalamin injections (or transdermal B12 oils)
Methylation protocol
Low-dose naltrexone
Oxymatrine (immunomodulator for enterovirus ME/CFS)
Inosine (good add-on immunomodulator with oxymatrine)
Epivir (for enterovirus ME/CFS)
Valcyte (for HHV-6 or cytomegalovirus ME/CFS)
Valtrex or Famvir (for EBV ME/CFS)
GcMAF injections (antiviral immunomodulator)
Tenofovir (antiviral immunomodulator)
Nexavir (porcine liver extract, an antiviral immunomodulator)

Ampligen (antiviral immunomodulator, but hard to get and expensive)
IVIG (expensive)
Interferon beta (antiviral immunomodulator, expensive and benefits usually do not last)

Piracetam (good supplement for brain fog)
Nimodipine (good drug for brain fog and brain blood flow)
Methylphenidate (stimulant drug for brain fog and fatigue)
Dichloroacetate (supplement for brain fog, fatigue and pain, boosts mitochondria)
Modafinil (stimulant drug for brain fog)
Moclobemide (dopamine-boosting drug for fatigue)

Pyridostigmine (reduces or eliminates PEM)
D-ribose (to speed up PEM recovery)
Dichloroacetate (improves fatigue and brain fog)
Probiotics and prebiotics (if there are gut issues)
Rifaximin (for IBS or gut dysbiosis)

Thank you that's very useful! I will definitely look into these. Best wishes :)