• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

California fires

EddieB

This is pretty freaky. Although the actual fires are many miles away, the smoke concentrations in our area are becoming severe. Even staying in the house with the doors and windows shut, the eye and throat irritation is increasing. My wife has asthma, fortunately she has a nebulizer and can do treatments.

I did some research and ordered a couple MERV-13 filters for the hvac. Filters with that rating are supposed to filter out smoke, didn’t know there was such a thing. My concern is whether its too much filter and can’t pass air. Like putting on 3 masks, great filtration but hard to breath through.
They won’t get here till Sunday, but as the fires are barely contained this problem doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon.

Is anyone else here dealing with this?

Rufous McKinney

Yes, sadly., @EddieB ...

In my case- our rental in the wilderness for 17 years- went up in 2017. We lost-95% of the total life accumulation and everything- in between.

Your correct- prepare. Unless we get a shift and some major rains which does sometimes happen in these tropical events, these fires are going to go on.

The town my babies were born in: it was annihilated 2018.

Lists of: houses, friends. On and On.

We can't live in climate changed environments in poorly designed flammable buildings. It is just not working.

Feel free to PM me if you need more of my fabulous moral support!

I should check with the friends who endured the smoke fest here- I had to flee entirely and did not return untl months later.

Maybe sheets over windows. Staples, tape.

the winds will shift...we got it bad last nite, and I had to keep all the windows closed.

EddieB

Yes, to all the above. We live in a rural area, back when I was in better shape, I set up with fire hoses, etc, to fight a fire. But this smoke thing is quite unexpected. As if covid wasn’t enough...

In a pinch, you can make a DIY room air cleaner. Get a common household box fan and a HEPA furnace filter. Attach the filter to the backside of the fan with a couple of zip ties. Not pretty but way cheaper than a Dyson and almost as effective. When the MERV filters show up, I’ll get one going, maybe it’ll help.
At least it’s supposed to cool down, 103-106 past week.

YippeeKi YOW !!

In a pinch, you can make a DIY room air cleaner. Get a common household box fan and a HEPA furnace filter. Attach the filter to the backside of the fan with a couple of zip ties.
What a great hack !!!! Thank you for sharing it. Air quality everywhere is shite, and this could help a lot of people, not just in Calif, but all over the country !!!

EddieB

What a great hack !!!! Thank you for sharing it. Air quality everywhere is shite, and this could help a lot of people, not just in Calif, but all over the country !!!
Your welcome! I just became familiar with the MERV-13 category filter today, supposedly more filtration than HEPA but maybe a wet blanket for air flow. I’ll update here when I know more. But meantime, any decent quality HEPA furnace filter will get you some good filtered air on the cheap.

wigglethemouse

560 total fires burning in CA is crazy. "The SCU and LNU lightning complex fires now rank as the seventh and tenth-largest wildfires in recorded California history, Cal Fire said in a tweet Friday afternoon "

The smoke on top of the heatwave is very difficult. My autonomic system does bad in heat and not being able to open windows at night to cool the house down is hard. The smoke seems to have caused extra dizziness. My friend even lost power for 24 hours on the hottest day, and he lives in a city.

It's just awful how 50,000 people have been evacuated. 600,000+ acres burned. No.7 and No.10 on the the list of worst fire of all time in CA. And how the fire fighters are exhausted and have had so little help. I hear more planes and helicopters are coming now FEMA have given support today........

wigglethemouse

@wigglethemouse Thank you for sharing that chart and it is incredible! Do you know if there are any fires in So. CA right now or only up north? I figure it is only a matter of time.

How are they managing at the evacuation centers with the level of COVID here?!! :nervous: :eek: :( I am wishing everyone well up north and please stay safe you guys. This always feels like deja vu.
The paper said Southern California was getting under control which would free crews to help in Northern California. Apparently more plames and helicopters are on the way. Even East San Jose has evacuation preparedness warnings. Santa Cruz ihas warnings too. Major cities! Crazy.

BBC has a brief article that gives guidelines with COVID
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53828150
Many of the blazes are burning on steep, difficult-to-access terrain and have been fuelled by strong winds. The fires are also threatening larger towns including Santa Cruz where flames reached within a mile of the University of California Santa Cruz campus, reports Reuters.

More fire-fighters, engines and surveillance planes are racing in from other states including Oregon, New Mexico and Texas to help. Assistance from what Gov Newsom called "the world's best wildfire-fighters" in Australia has been requested.

"We simply haven't seen anything like this in many, many years," he said, adding that an area the size of the US state of Rhode Island has already burned within California.
In total, over 1,205 square miles (1,950km) have burned across the state.
Satellite images show smoke blanketing nearly all of California, as well most of Nevada and southern Idaho.

RL_sparky

I live between the CZU and the LNU fires. The smoke at times is unbearable and is causing headaches and dizziness. I also have a messed up autonomic system that makes dealing with the heat difficult. So having to close the windows because of the smoke has been difficult.
I have great empathy for those who have it much worse than myself and have to live in the fire affected areas.

pogoman

Went thru the Cedar and Witch fires down in San Diego county, both times they came within a few miles but they were able to stop it.
Those were both fueled by the Santa Ana winds that happen in September and October and dry out the underbrush and trees.
We had a lot of rain the past winter, not looking good.
I am seeing the most tree pollen in 20 years, its getting blown out of the canyon behind my house and covers everything.

Rufous McKinney

@wigglethemouse Thank you for sharing that chart and it is incredible! Do you know if there are any fires in So. CA right now or only up north? I figure it is only a matter of time.

something in Piru- we are getting that smoke here.

Riverside- very very big inferno there.

I"m familair with Witch and Cedar.

I'm too familiar with Thomas, and Camp.

nyanko_the_sane

Because everyday is Caturday...
California was kind of on fire this week.
Fires_Aug_Cal.jpg

pogoman

Many of those fires are power-line related during the high winds. They want to put more huge transmission lines through the mtns of San Diego.

Don't know if there are any current power line projects but the SDGE Sunrise Powerlink thru the east county was sketchy from the beginning.
There is stuff being done underground along the 15 right now but I don't know if power lines are involved.
In SDGE's favor they did step up tree trimming in the fire prone areas but the mandatory power shut offs during high winds is controversial.