• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bone Pain or Joint Pain

Lotus97

Until recently I just assumed that the pain in my hands was joint pain, but since it has come back recently I've noticed there's pain on the bone in between the joints in addition to the pain on the joints. I also have pain in certain spots on my ribs which seems to be bone pain. I read something recently on Stephen Buhner's web site. He recommended an herb called boneset. I wonder if the medications and supplements I've been taking for pain such as those for nerve pain, inflammation, and collagen tissue aren't effective because I have a different type of pain.

perchance dreamer

Interesting. I don't think I'd be able to distinguish between joint pain and bone pain. I have OA, bulging discs, bone spurs, bone thinning, and fibro.

It's hard to tell what causes which kind of pain, but much of my pain is extremely migratory, moving from site to site throughout the day. Doctors have told me that's more characteristic of fibro than the other problems I have.

I've tried 2 pain supplements that my doctors recommended: cetyl myristoleate and shea butter extract (FlexNow). I couldn't tell a difference with the cetyl myristoleate even after 4 months. I'm continuing to take FlexNow because it has helped my knees at least.

When your ribs are painful, are your pecs painful at the same time? I forget what the connection is, but a PT told me that people often get rib pain if their pecs are acting up.

I'm glad you're back, Lotus!

Ambrosia_angel

I can definitely tell the difference. My bone pain is more of a nerve pain. Quite sharp and uncomfortable. My joint pain is triggered my repetitive movement from basic things like knitting and it hurts when I move in awk positions. It's more dull and horribly achy as well.

taniaaust1

my bone pain used to be sharp as another here said too. Where my joint pains would ache. I used to get agonizing bone pain in lots of my bones including in the main bones of my legs and arms (sharp like if someone was drilling into my bones). Fortunately I dont nowdays get bone pain at all and my joint pain hardly ever happens either (my ME symptoms shifted over the years).

Lotus97

The pain in my hands is more of a sharp pain than aching. It hurts when I use my hands. I also have pain in my shoulder blades sometimes. The pain in my ribs and also on my arm bones between my elbow and shoulder only hurt when I press on them