• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Biomarkers

Does it exsist a summery/overview over possible biomarkers that can be traced in CBF or bloodserum?
Is there a list over autoantibodies, inflammationmarkers, energymetabolism, ways to find measurement, loss of autonomic nerves/POTS?

(I am waiting for hospitalappointment and my doctor said "if no biological correlates to sympthoms are found, no treatment can occour". I wish for IVIG and have tried to find possible markers collected, without luck).

Thank you.

HowToEscape?

Ohhh, boy.

A. I don't know what to suggest, but people other than me who post here do know of diagnostic tests, such as tilt table. IDK if a blood test exists.
B. Medicine has avoided researching our disease, so it does not list a specific biomarker correlating to our symptoms.

Your MD is following the correct procedure ... for a machinery technician. The body does not arrive with a manufacturer's shop handbook, and Nature does not read much less respect ICD-xx.
He needs to do some on-the-spot science and figure out what not currently listed connection between biological cause and your symptoms exists. This can be done, it's exactly what Rich Van Konneyberg did. Unfortunately, most MDs are not Rich's equal. Rich was not an MD, he was a nuclear engineer working on Cold War projects. Rich taught himself biology after retiring.

Last edited:
I strongly disagree with the above post.

Here is the unfortunate truth. There is no current bio marker for ME/CFS that is ready for diagnosis. There is also no treatment that can either cure, or seriously lessen symptoms of, ME/CFS. Our only rational option is to cautiously try to lessen symptoms via drugs that help with those specific symptoms, like cymbalta for ME pain. A lot of people try to experiment, however something can just as easily make you worse, as a simple OTC supplement did to me.

That being said, you may not have ME/CFS if you are new to the symptoms. And it may be another similar presenting disease.

If you do have ME/CFS, there very well should be a diagnostic marker within a few years. And maybe even a decent treatment.

All th best.

wastwater

Did rich ever think nuclear weapons/power programme could be responsible for me/cfs among other conditions

Last edited:

HowToEscape?

Did rich ever think nuclear weapons/power programme could be responsible for me/cfs among other conditions

No, he would have mentioned that. I had a long talk with him and it never came up.

It’s hard to see any connection between one another, only a small number of people worked on those cold war projects and you would have needed a serious security clearance to even walk into those facilities. Only a few in the region of the Nevada test site we’re under fall out during the period when atmospheric tests were conducted.
Rich did say he didn’t personally experience any harm from the various substances at the facility. I didn’t ask him anything further about that. I don’t know how close he was to any material handling, I believe his work was theoretical. I wish I could accomplish 10% of what he’s done in life.
You get more radiation from a granite countertop in your kitchen and far more from eating a banana than you do from a nuclear power plant miles away.

Last edited: