• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best “PEM Buster” for PEM that’s heaviness around my eyes, brain fog, tiredness, and depression —not muscle fatigue

hunter1899

I’m new here and still a bit confused about PEM. Hip made an incredible post about PEM shields and blockers but I was wondering if certain ones of these were for more physical symptoms or “mental”. In other words I don’t have sore or exhausted muscles. If I work outside and build up a sweat I get pressure around my eyes, my eyelids feel heavy, I get brain fog, overall tiredness, and depression/anxiety. Honestly most times it feels like if i didn’t have the weight pressure around my eyes and top of my nose and forehead I would be able to deal a lot better.

So is there a PEM shield/relief that is more catered to this? Something like creatine seems like it would be more for muscle fatigue right??

I’m about to buy whatever I need so just need a few pointers. Much aooreciated

Wishful

Where can I buy some of that? Does it go on sale often? I'd like to buy some sleep too, while I'm at it. :)

For me, cumin blocked physically-induced PEM from happening, and if I forgot to take it and PEM did occur, taking cumin would start reducing the PEM within hours. While cumin might not work for anyone else, my experience should provide some insight into the mechanism of PEM: that it's something that can be blocked effectively by one chemical (I assume it's cuminaldehyde, aka p-benzaldehyde) and treated effectively after it's started, and that whatever it's mechanism, it's separate from the mechanism of cerebrally-induced PEM. At least that's how my PEM worked.

I hadn't found anything that treated only part of the symptoms of PEM.

hunter1899

Where can I buy some of that? Does it go on sale often? I'd like to buy some sleep too, while I'm at it. :)

For me, cumin blocked physically-induced PEM from happening, and if I forgot to take it and PEM did occur, taking cumin would start reducing the PEM within hours. While cumin might not work for anyone else, my experience should provide some insight into the mechanism of PEM: that it's something that can be blocked effectively by one chemical (I assume it's cuminaldehyde, aka p-benzaldehyde) and treated effectively after it's started, and that whatever it's mechanism, it's separate from the mechanism of cerebrally-induced PEM. At least that's how my PEM worked.

I hadn't found anything that treated only part of the symptoms of PEM.

So your PEM was caused by physical activity, but the PEM symptoms were more like what I'm describing? More around your head and eyes and fatigue as opposed to muscle fatigue and pains?

Rufous McKinney

More around your head and eyes and fatigue as opposed to muscle fatigue and pains?

I experience alot of intense inflammation daily which is centered on my eyes (intense pressure, blurry watery most of time, visual acuity poor). And inflamed area near my sinus.

During the day it gets worse if I lie down and lean back- something worsens.. Nose feels pinched closed.

This cycles with other symptoms. I get all the versions of pEM- mental, physical, emo...:xeyes:

hunter1899

I experience alot of intense inflammation daily which is centered on my eyes (intense pressure, blurry watery most of time, visual acuity poor). And inflamed area near my sinus.

During the day it gets worse if I lie down and lean back- something worsens.. Nose feels pinched closed.

This cycles with other symptoms. I get all the versions of pEM- mental, physical, emo...:xeyes:

Have you found any supplements that help prevent or relieve this?

Rufous McKinney

My right side is much worse. On bad days, I can feel like my right eye is impaled. Its quite intense. I take a 2.5 mg microdose of a THC mint and- it drops that inflammation to a level I can tolerate.

I take chinese traditional herbs- but have been off my main regime for a while, taking a break I call it. Getting too tired to even do that- I also call it.

So I have to get a grip. The chinese herbs I get from an expert- custom, and they go after- some of these symptoms which in me are centered in the throat, mouth, sinus, eyes (and I presume brain right next door).

Eye: masks- help if you don't mind- doing virtually nothing and just lie there. My eyes stop hurting at least when I wear that.

wabi-sabi

No. Pushing salt and fluid, using compression socks and trying to keep track of my heartrate help me avoid it or give myself a less severe case.

But once I've PEM'ed myself it's here to stay until I can rest for a couple days and it backs off.

Wishful

More around your head and eyes and fatigue as opposed to muscle fatigue and pains?

No physical symptoms involving my head (no body ones either). My symptoms all seem to be neurological: mental lethargy/brainfog, maybe neuropathic pains if PEM is severe. When my PEM is bad, I don't feel like doing anything. I might even be unable to enjoy reading for long.

This sounds Iike MCAS. Sinus pressure and headache, anxiety and mood after exersice is very common since exersice activates mast cells. Although in this case you should be reacting to more things for it to be MCAS. But fatigue and swelling is very common.

hunter1899

This sounds Iike MCAS. Sinus pressure and headache, anxiety and mood after exersice is very common since exersice activates mast cells. Although in this case you should be reacting to more things for it to be MCAS. But fatigue and swelling is very common.

Interesting. Typically I don't feel the effects of the exercise until a day after and it lasts 1-3 days. This always sounded like PEM to me but are you saying this is consistent with MCAS as well? I did read that EBV can bring on MCAS and I did have EBV earlier this year (if not still...).

I also saw that antihistamines and even acid reducers seem to help, which I know acid reducers especially I've seen working for some folks with PEM around this boards.

Also, you said I should be reacting to more things if it was MACS? Can you explain what you mean by this? Appreciate it.

Last edited:
Interesting. Typically I don't feel the effects of the exercise until a day after and it lasts 1-3 days. This always sounded like PEM to me but are you saying this is consistent with MCAS as well? I did read that EBV can bring on MCAS and I did have EBV earlier this year (if not still...).

I also saw that antihistamines and even acid reducers seem to help, which I know acid reducers especially I've seen working for some folks with PEM around this boards.

Also, you said I should be reacting to more things if it was MACS? Can you explain what you mean by this? Appreciate it.

Although MCAS is very different case to case. Usually people react to a lot of things.

For example : i also react strongly to food. Cold and humid weather. This reactions can last as long as I maintain bad habits that increase the inflammation. Exersice is a fast way to increase the inflammation.