• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

bacterial infections prior to EBV/glandular fever

Just wondering if it’s common to have a series of bacterial infections prior to glandular fever?
I recall I had a bad bout of strep throat (high fevers, killer sore throat) 2 weeks prior including a stye in my eyes, an overgrowth of staph in my nostril.. I had a penicillin shot and a round of antibiotics then I came down with an awful viral illness that turned out to be a new/first time infection with ebv/mono.

Is this common in anyone else’s onset of ME/CFS? I believe my CFS started 9 year ago with a flu-like illness that I now think was CMV (igg is positive). I recall a series of bacterial infections prior to that viral illness as well.

keepswimming

I had strep throat as part of glandular fever, and so did a friend of mine... I wonder if they could have been your first symptoms, but you didn't realise at the time?