• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12/Folate recommendations

Hi all,

In the midst of this horrible brain fog, I desperately need to order supplements, especially B12 and Folate, and whatever else would be helpful.

I read through Caledonia's guide to SNP interpretation. I had 23 and me done recently, therefore I don't have information on SHMT1.

I don't currently have gut issues, but maybe it makes sense to get sulfate strips to check if CBS is an issue?

I was planning to order hydroxyB12, and I already have folapro. Or should I consider a combo based on the Yasko protocol?

I've been meaning to post my methylation profile for a while, so here it is. I put the major SNPs below.

Strange thing: I was on Effexor for a month, and am tapering off now due to horrible side effects. The only good part was that I had way less fatigue and brain fog. Instead I had crippling anxiety. But would this seem to indicate that norepinephrine might be lacking, wouldn't you think? I switched from an SSRI to an SNRI, and am now back on an SSRI.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Aimee methylation profile.pdf
    60.7 KB · Views: 12

PeterPositive

Hi,
in regards to folate and B12 you have a profile that is similar to mine... MTHFR 677++ and MTR/MTRR problems.
The former will impair the your ability to reduce dietary folate to the only active form, methylfolate which in turn spins the methionine cycle.

The MTRR A66G snp causes more problems in the methionine cycle as well, requiring more B12, possibly in methyl form.

Have you tested your homocysteine levels? With these snps you may have an elevated serum homocysteine level.

cheers

Hi, last time I was tested I did have high homocysteine levels. But that was at least 3 years ago. Right now I can't get tested but I'm looking for a new fatigue doc...I might go to Dr DeMeirleer.

Thanks for the suggestion.