• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article about long versions of illnesses

Andrew

The medical profession acknowledges that there is something called long COVID which is where you continue to be sick after you've been cured of COVID. As you may have noticed, the symptoms are surprisingly similar to chronic fatigue syndrome. The medical profession is also beginning to acknowledge long versions of other illnesses. Such as flu, and other respiratory illnesses. I hope this leads to a solution that can help all of us.

https://theweek.com/health/long-covid-flu

hapl808

Sadly these articles are not used to say, "OMG, other illnesses also can cause devastating illness that lasts beyond the acute phase." Instead they are used to minimize the seriousness, by talking about 'lingering coughs' and such. JFC, none of us would be posting here daily if our biggest problem was a lingering cough. I'd drink some tea, or take some Robitussin, and be out living my life.

One of the theories, according to NBC News, is that many people are "more susceptible to respiratory illnesses this winter because they haven't had a recent infection or vaccination," or that some "may have gotten back-to-back infections that they confused with lingering symptoms." There has been a lack of exposure to respiratory diseases over the past three years because of masking and social-distancing protocols. As such, people are feeling the force of their illnesses more acutely than before, a phenomenon known as "immunity debt." People have also been receiving less vaccinations less against the flu, Covid and RSV.

What a steaming pile of fake medical dogma. Yes, people are sick because they haven't been sick recently. We can all remember pre-COVID where if we had a period of good health, we would worry that we were just setting ourselves up for catastrophe. The more illnesses we get, the better protected we become.

Immunity debt is an imaginary concept with no clinical research backing it up and no historical foundation. I'd have to see some pretty amazing clinical evidence to believe that one.

I really wish people would understand the range of problems that can come with LC or MECFS, rather than articles with someone talking about lingering coughs and altered sense of smell.

lenora

Were people better off getting smallpox or, much later, polio? I don't think so. How about the WWI soldiers who contracted, spread and died from the flu?

We're human beings, we just make the decision that seems the best at the time. But no, I really don't believe that getting most diseases is better for you and builds immunity. But then I've had shingles 4 times (from a childhood case of chickenpox) and you better believe that I ran to the pharmacy to get the two dose vaccine for shingles. I couldn't live through that one again. Also, I had no side effects whatsoever. Sore arm, sure...but nothing lasting. When I had my cases the anti-virals hadn't started to be used.

A lot of people have different reactions, some of them very common. Right now I think we're experiencing vaccine exhaustion. We have to look back in history and ask ourselves if we would be better off with or without disease? A cold is one thing, pneumonia another. Yours, Lenora

Last edited by a moderator: