• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anyone know the ranges etc for Graves?

A zombie

I have hashimotos. I was just tested for graves a few weeks ago and this is my result.THYROID.STIM.IMMUNO. (30) 89 <=122 %
does anyone know what this means?

Ema

This may help:

http://www.livingwithgravesdisease.com/diagnosis/lab-tests

The TSI Test

TSI, which stands for thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin, is the antibody responsible for hyperthyroidism in Graves’ disease. TSI are also known as stimulating TSH receptor antibodies or stimulating thyrotropin receptor antibodies because of their ability to stimulate the TSH receptor on thyroid cells. Acting in place of TSH, these antibodies stimulate thyroid cells to produce excess thyroid hormone. TSI also contribute to the related eye disease, Graves’ ophthalmopathy. TSI is used to diagnose Graves’ disease, to monitor response to anti-thyroid drugs and to helping predicting remission. While the normal range is <130% activity, individuals who are normal do not produce TSI and have levels <2% activity. Individuals with levels between 2 and 125 %, which indicates thyroid autoimmunity, do not generally develop symptoms of hyperthyroidism until levels rise. Therefore, levels much lower than 125% are necessary to predict complete remission. Levels, which are close to 100% activity generally rise when patients stop taking anti-thyroid drugs. Ideally, levels would fall to at least 20% before anti-thyroid drugs are safely withdrawn. The reference range is <130% activity or an index of <1.3 for tests that measure the increased activity caused by adding patient serum to a test solution of thyroid cells.

A zombie

ha! so what does that mean for me?
all i've ever known with this god forsaken disease is hash's. But lately i have swung (seemingly ) in both directions (hypo to hyper). I've only ever taken armor or ndt.
Does my range indicate graves? my labs indicate i'm still hypo…

Ema

I'm not a Graves expert but I know it is possible to have both Hashi's and Graves.

I would say that you probably do have both but technically "normal" is below 130% and you are at 89%. However, it doesn't seem like most people without Graves have as many antibodies as you do, so it may be be that you are swinging back and forth which is probably horrible symptom wise.

Typically TSH is low in Graves with a normal or high FT3 and FT4. But this could really vary depending on where you are in a swing when labs are drawn.

You can also get a scan to see if your gland shows increased radioactivity which is another sign of Graves.

A zombie

would someone with graves be able to tolerate 3 grains of armour?
people that have both (hahsi's and graves) what do the generally TREAT? i;ve only ever treated hash's (hypo)
I did have a hyper episode a few months ago… dr said labs were hyper but ppl that looked at them said i wasn't , although, I was FEELING hyper with fast hr , was extremely weak and anxiety.

I have been able to lose weight recently (I have a 15 month old and it was impossible for a while) a lot of people that see me these days say i look thin.
I certainly do not feel hyper right now… i know what that feels like and eek! i won't let the happen again. It was pretty awful.

Ema

Usually people with both end up removing the thyroid either surgically or with RAI. Then you are left permanently hypo which is treated as usual.

I might post on Stop The Thyroid Madness boards and see what Janie has to say. There may be other treatments.

I know it is crucial to be gluten free with all autoimmune disease but especially thyroid.

A zombie

in another post, i wrote that ldm is given me terrible diarrhea …. there is no way that going up from 1.5 to 3mgs could cause me to go hyper instantly… i mean like take pill at bedtime , terrible D in the AM. I do not feel hyper otherwise.
for shii% and grins i'm going to reduce thyroid to 2.75 grains today to see if it helps…
I do have bad night of sleep most nights… UGH! but that has been ongoing for a very ,. very long time.

Ema

in another post, i wrote that ldm is given me terrible diarrhea …. there is no way that going up from 1.5 to 3mgs could cause me to go hyper instantly… i mean like take pill at bedtime , terrible D in the AM. I do not feel hyper otherwise.
for shii% and grins i'm going to reduce thyroid to 2.75 grains today to see if it helps…
I do have bad night of sleep most nights… UGH! but that has been ongoing for a very ,. very long time.
I agree with the others to rule out the fillers first.

A zombie

ok, so just called skips. They were awesome!
The pharm said tonight to try and dump whats in the cap into water and see if that helps. She said if that doesn't work they can try using a different filler--- a sugar one.
OR she said i may part of the 1% that can't tolerate ldn.