• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone have trouble with Lyrica

AlleyCat

My Dr took me off gabapentin and put me on Lyrica because I could not go up in my gabapentin dose without being extremely dizzy. She had me do a slow decrease on gabapentin and slow increase on Lyrica with them overlapping. When I first started the Lyrica it seemed to help with my pain but for the last week my headache (which I always have) has been horrible and the ringing in my ears has gotten to be unbearable.

I just looked up the side effects for Lyrica and the ringing in the ears is on there. Has anyone else had this happen? Should I continue with the Lyrica?

humanrising

Lyrica was the worst medication I have ever taken.... considering how many things I have tried over the years that is saying a lot!
I started it very very low then slowly slowly increased my dose. I didn't get very far before I was a mess. I showed up to my doctors appointment telling her how dizzy I was pain was up, my headaches were also worse. I was already retaining water and this all happen within being on it for a week or two.. she was concerned about my blood pressure and the fact I told her I almost blacked out at the grocery store. she did an ekg and told me she thought I should go to the ER and get an IV saline because she was concerned about my heart my PB was so low and my EKG didn't look good.

I ended up going home drank a ton of water and salty foods and read the warning label on lyrica and found out that lowing your blood pressure is on it. most of us already have issues with BP so every doctor who prescribes this should be extra careful about making that particular side effect clear before we start it. I quit taking it and I got back to base line pretty quick.
Of course, we are all different and if there is a chance it will help its worth a shot, just think that folks like us need to be mindful of the potential side affects esp the blood pressure.

Since I am not a doctor I would never advise anyone to stop a med but I would say...…if you are experiencing new symptoms like you are I would call a pharmacist and discuss it with them and also ask them about how best to come off it if you decide to. I couldn't take gabaptine either. I wasn't on lyrica long and I was at a low dose so I felt comfortable stopping it since I knew it was causing my symptoms and again the dose. do you have a doctors nurse you could talk to about your symptoms and if you can or should stop?
hope you feel better very soon.

jesse's mom

I have been on Lyrica for 7 years, I am still on a moderate dose. It gave me a "zombie" like feeling for about three months, then that side effect went away. I get headaches if my neck is somehow in a strange position. I cannot deny that Lyrica has me holding water and an HTZ can solve that but I Can only take that some days in a week, or I will get headachy and muscle aches. Drinking more water and eating a salty snack or peanut butter can help. I have seen many people not tolerate Lyrics.

AlleyCat

I'm only taking 50mg twice a day. I decided I'm going to cut back to once a day. It was really helping with my pain and I hate to stop something that is working. I have tried so many things that don't work. I think I will contact my dr Monday and see what she thinks. I just wonder if this is just my normal symptoms getting worse for some strange reason.