• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antibacterial Cleaners May Make Houses Moldy

Wishful

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...se-of-bacteria-could-clear-the-way-for-fungus

A study found that houses cleaned too well with antibacterial cleaning products resulted in more fungal growth. As with our bodies, there are good bacteria that keep bad microbes in check. So, if you're really sensitive to molds, maybe ease off on the super-antibacterial cleaning products.

By this, I'm guessing that my home's microbiome is well-balanced. :D

YippeeKi YOW !!

By this, I'm guessing that my home's microbiome is well-balanced. :D
I'm right there with you. What a blessing for an indifferent and right now incapable cleaner, eh?

There have been sooooo many articles about the negative impact of things like PUrell and other anti-bac hand cleansers that you'd think that 2 + 2 might equal 4, but nooooo. Our Puritanical beginnings continue to haunt us with the next-to-Godliness theories.

Wolfcub

I wonder if cleaning with baking soda/white vinegar would be okay?
I stopped using most cleaning products when I had my dog here.

Then one day I noticed :yuck: a tiny patch of white mould on my grass matting by the wall where no sun ever shines ! I scrubbed white vinegar into it with an old toothbrush, and it NEVER came back again EVER.

I didn't like the smell of the vinegar. But after two days it had disappeared. I also sprayed a little lavender oil there afterwards.

I am not happy about using anti-bacterial dishwashing liquids or hand wash. They give me a bad feeling indeed. I would honestly rather smoke a cigar. :D

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

I wonder if cleaning with baking soda/white vinegar would be okay?
Both of those are my go-to's for every kind of cleaning issue. I only use them together, usually, when I'm clearing drains.

I add a lot of patchouli oil to the vinegar. Makes it smell less ..... vinegary.

We're on the same page with this, @Wolfcub. I've replaced almost everything chemical with a more natural alternative, and I fnd that often the natural stuff does a better and less caustic job than the corporately-prduced crap.

Wolfcub

I add a lot of patchouli oil to the vinegar. Makes it smell less ..... vinegary.
Wow...never thought of patchouli oil. That would make a nice scent. Thanks for that tip :thumbsup:
I've replaced almost everything chemical with a more natural alternative, and I fnd that often the natural stuff does a better and less caustic job than the corporately-prduced crap.
Yes right. I only started doing that because of my dog. And carried on the tradition. I mean....who wants to breathe in formelin? I will never forget the deathly smell of that from those pickled body-parts in my biology class at school ....
Like I said I'd rather smoke a cigar ! :xeyes::lol:

Wolfcub

It's not that so much, its the violent foaming action which can be uncontrllable outside of some form of container, but they're great for things like what you used them for, dog pee etc :yuck:
When I was a kid, my brother and I had a submarine.
Sadly, it was a toy submarine. We filled it with baking soda and vinegar and watched it perform surfacing and diving maneuvers. Wonderful, and all powered by baking soda and vinegar :lol:

frozenborderline

This really matches what people in the mold community have been saying for awhile, and the theory that its the overall balance of the indoor and outdoor microbiome, not just the presence of just any "mold" that matters. So when we talk about any chemical we should not only talk about the direct effect on the human body but also second order effects arising from disturbing the microbiome

Wishful

I wonder if some 'natural health' article is going to suggest bringing some garden or forest soil into our homes to help balance our homes' microbiomes. I'm probably doing that already by being less than perfect about cleaning my footwear (and outerwear, and hands). I probably carry significant amounts of my surrounding forest indoors on a daily basis. Such a healthy home! :D

Wolfcub

I probably carry significant amounts of my surrounding forest indoors on a daily basis. Such a healthy home! :D
I do more or less the same here. Mostly trees and grass outside my home, and while I won't track obviously muddy boots in, I am not meticulous about keeping the outside "outside".
My idea of cleaning my boots is to walk on wet grass before coming in. :D
But I do wash my hands before preparing food.

Wishful

My idea of cleaning my boots is to walk on wet grass before coming in. :D

Me too!

But I do wash my hands before preparing food.

Me too! Umm, well, if they've got obvious blotches of muck, or something stinky. Hey, I don't have running water, and can't even keep a bucket of water in my kitchen (too cold now), so washing isn't convenient. I've been washing my hands with snow lately. Occasionally. :)

For those on a primal diet, how often did cavemen wash their hands before preparing food? ;)

Wolfcub

I used to have no running water except what I pumped up out of the spring. But I always had a stove so could have plenty of hot water, but just had to wait for it to heat on the stove.

Yes I know that one....washing hands with snow. Also clean wet grass again comes in useful. I still often use it to clean my hands when outside. It smells so nice too.

I shouldn't think cavemen did wash before preparing food generally ! I guess they might have done if they had been skinning or processing a kill perhaps?

Wishful

But I always had a stove so could have plenty of hot water, but just had to wait for it to heat on the stove.

Ah, the good old days before insurance companies got overly involved. Now it's a lot of expense and hassle to use wood heat and get insurance. I use an outside boiler and an outside kitchen, to keep any fire hazard well away from my cabin. The kitchen has a propane stove, but I mostly use a twig stove. Not quite as convenient as keeping a kettle of water on a woodstove. Warm/hot water for hygiene takes planning and effort.

I shouldn't think cavemen did wash before preparing food generally ! I guess they might have done if they had been skinning or processing a kill perhaps?

I imagine them washing up only when there was something sticky or stinky to remove.

I'm baking bread today. I expect my hands to be much cleaner after handling the dough. :thumbsup: