• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ANOTHER INDICATION THAT GUT MICROBIOME MAY PLAY LARGER ROLE THAN BELIEVED IN M.E./CFS

seamyb

after heavy use of herbal antibiotics

Can you define heavy here? I'm taking cumin extract because it's the only thing that makes me feel better. I take a drop of it every few hours. It's antimicrobial. I'm looking into other things with similar properties but most have this damned antimicrobial property too.

I'm somewhat concerned about upsetting the gut microbes. I'm hoping it doesn't make it that far down the tract. Also hoping it's nowhere near "heavy" compared with your doses. Perhaps even the prebiotics I'm taking alongside will counter it.

I'm fairly certain I've a mold infection in the sinuses that I've harboured for years without it making me sick. When I quit an SSRI, I began to get sick and the gut symptoms were some of the first and most severe. So, one theory I have is that some bacterial strain responsible for detoxifying these mold toxins became impaired by the serotonin disruption after quitting the SSRI.

seamyb

Three weeks of 3-to-4- times-a-day doses of Olive Leaf extract, Oregano Extract, clove, and garlic, along with curcumin/ turmeric blend specifically to reduce the inflammation of an infected tooth. The first four are pretty strongly antibacterial, the curcumin/turmeric blend is the anti-inflammatory.

And was that just a single drop of each 3-4 times a day?

YippeeKi YOW !!

And was that just a single drop of each 3-4 times a day?
It was capsules of powdered/ground extract. So more than a drop. Too tired to drag downstairs rummage aroudn, find the bottles, and post the exact amounts. It was quite a high dose of each element I listed for you.

I had to hit the tooth/gum infection hard. They're very hard t dislodge once they get a grip. So pretty high amounts of the antibacterials, decent dose of turmeric/curcumin, which is a blend of fairly potent standardized curcuminoids, with turmeric added for balance and bioperine added for absorption, and in case there are other exipients whose effects science and/or commerce haven't isolated yet.

You might want to google the action of cumin as it transits the digestive tract to put your mind at ease, but I think you're OK.

Wishful

I'm somewhat concerned about upsetting the gut microbes.

I tried holding cumin in my mouth for 10+ minutes, then spitting it out and rinsing, and that was as effective for me as swallowing the spice. Since you're finding that cumin provides some benefit for you, you could try the sublingual and spitting/rinsing technique to see whether it is still effective without reaching your gut.