• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Accessing the Masculine

cmt12

Much like an actor playing a role, we have the capability of accessing different mindsets to best deal with whatever situation or conditions we find ourselves in. I have found that when dealing with chronic pain or resistance of any kind, accessing a masculine mindset or energy can be hugely beneficial.

This has nothing to do with male of female - masculine is just the term I feel best describes this mindset. Here are some of the characteristics I am referring to: determined, unwavering, intensely focused, defiant, relentless.

Many top athletes and performers have learned to access this mindset to help them overcome adversity. I would encourage you all, especially those who already practice mindfulness, to experiment with this energy and try to utilize it as much as possible when dealing with the symptoms of this condition.

For example, when you need to act but you feel low energy and there is that resistance weighing you down, that is a perfect opportunity to use this tool. This energy is always available to us and even though it requires effort, it doesn't stress us negatively the way physical and cognitive exertion does.

I access this energy in my torso area and I manipulate my breathing to 'charge' and expand it throughout my body. You sort of breath into it and you'll notice the resistance no longer becomes a factor.

You can think of it like blowing up a balloon. If you're not putting in the effort to blow up the balloon, then at least hold where you are so the air doesn't seap out.

As you familiarize yourself with this mindset, you'll realize more and more how useful it is especially when dealing with as many symptoms as we do. The benefits, I've found, are directly proportional to how much effort I put into accessing it.