• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abruptly stopped methylating B12 and folic acid?

Hi all,

I’m really suffering and anxious and hoping someone can help me.

I’ve been injecting B12 and B9 every other day for autoimmune atrophic gastritis (aka ‘pernicious anaemia’) for several years now. Specifically, I inject hydroxocobalamin and folic acid. These had been addressing neurological and other damage from B12 deficiency very well, until about ten days ago, when I seem to have abruptly stopped converting them into useable forms, and all my deficiency symptoms are coming back.

Does anyone know why this might be, and what I should try to get back on track?

I don’t have any other new or returning symptoms, just those that are highly specific to my previous experience of B12/folate deficiency.

I already take the relevant cofactors (magnesium, potassium, other b vitamins) or have good stores in the body (iron).

I haven’t introduced or removed any supplements or made any dietary changes.

For the injections, I’m using identical brands, doses, injection location etc. They’re all from the same batches that were working before with the same sell by dates. Have tried multiple phials from multiple boxes.

I’ve also tried going from every 48 to every 24 hours to no avail.

Is it possible that my methylation has just gone offline? I would have no clue how to remedy this as I’ve never had my genetics tested.

Feeling very flummoxed and worried.

Hope_eternal

Hi all,

I’m really suffering and anxious and hoping someone can help me.

I’ve been injecting B12 and B9 every other day for autoimmune atrophic gastritis (aka ‘pernicious anaemia’) for several years now. Specifically, I inject hydroxocobalamin and folic acid. These had been addressing neurological and other damage from B12 deficiency very well, until about ten days ago, when I seem to have abruptly stopped converting them into useable forms, and all my deficiency symptoms are coming back.

Does anyone know why this might be, and what I should try to get back on track?

I don’t have any other new or returning symptoms, just those that are highly specific to my previous experience of B12/folate deficiency.

I already take the relevant cofactors (magnesium, potassium, other b vitamins) or have good stores in the body (iron).

I haven’t introduced or removed any supplements or made any dietary changes.

For the injections, I’m using identical brands, doses, injection location etc. They’re all from the same batches that were working before with the same sell by dates. Have tried multiple phials from multiple boxes.

I’ve also tried going from every 48 to every 24 hours to no avail.

Is it possible that my methylation has just gone offline? I would have no clue how to remedy this as I’ve never had my genetics tested.

Feeling very flummoxed and worried.
I’m sorry you are going through that. I don’t have the answer but you might be able to find the answer on Dr Ben Lynch website. His focus is on adrenals and methylation. I’ve pasted some articles below. I hope you find your answer!

https://www.drbenlynch.com/folic-acid-homocysteine/

https://www.drbenlynch.com/folic-acid-side-effects/

https://www.drbenlynch.com/methyl-group-methylation-methyl-trapping-what/