Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What supplements can help if you don't tolerate sulfur (B1, B7, MSM, taurine, onions) well?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by bigmillz, Aug 29, 2016.

1. bigmillz

bigmillz Senior Member

NYC
    What the subject says...just home sick and trying to learn a little more! B1, B7, MSM, taurine, and onions are all things I don't tolerate very well. There may be more on that list that I haven't totally confirmed yet.

Currently taking mB12, adB12, mFolate, and several cofactors. I'm trying to work in B2 and P5P as well.

Thanks!

2. Living Dead

Living Dead Senior Member

3. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    ARHHGGG!! I just looked up sulfite oxidase defiency and it's scary. Surely there's a milder form than I just read. I can't partake in sulfer either, ever since I had that Cipro reaction.

@bigmillz , looks like you can take methyls ok, though. That's good.

4. bigmillz

bigmillz Senior Member

NYC
    I'm confused on this, as I've heard it in some other places. Wouldn't this be more important for converting sulfite to sulfate? What about the conversion of sulfur?

That said, I do take 1mg of molybdenum daily, and I feel it has helped a lot.

Paralee likes this.
  5. bigmillz

bigmillz Senior Member

NYC
    What things bother you generally?

I've tolerated methyl anything very well actually.

6. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    @bigmillz , no methyl donors, no sulfa (sulfer?), things like NAC that I used to take with no problem. MB12 is out, can't handle it, magnesium only in very tiny doses (topical works best), hot spices, but that's a no brainer because I'm a supertaster.....I can't remember them all but almost all the antibiotics do me in.

I got refloxed not long ago by an Ativan, believe it or not.

Anyway, thanks for posting, this has made up my mind to try a little molybdenum.

7. bigmillz

bigmillz Senior Member

NYC
    Hope it helps you as well! Remember there is a difference between sulfur and sulfa drugs: http://www.behcets.org/reference/sulfur/sulfursulphidesulphate.html

8. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
  9. bigmillz

bigmillz Senior Member

NYC
  10. Living Dead

Living Dead Senior Member

I'm not sure, tbh. But sulfur is a chemical element, so it can't be "converted" (unless you're a nuclear reactor). A sulfite is a molecule containing sulfur in a specific arrangement with other elements (SO3). Sulfate is sulfur connected with oxygen as SO4.

(The S in the formula is the sulfur atom.)

11. bigmillz

bigmillz Senior Member

NYC
    Ah, good point. This is what I (unknowingly) meant.

12. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    For me, at least, dealing w/ sulfur = dealing w/ ammonia.

Look for posts by aaron_c . I got a lot of help from him dealing w/ sulfur.

aaron_chttp://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/b2-i-love-you.15209/page-42#post-533217

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nd-sulfites-the-boron-fix-for-sulfites.39025/ Boron, Molybdenum, SUOX and Sulfites. (The Boron Fix for Sulfites)

Also, not from aaron:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/when-common-snps-matter.39635/#post-637023

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Paralee likes this.
  13. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    These links are really going to help. This is great. I've been trying to understand this. I can't take anything with methyl or sulphur (supplements), but I can eat them......strange.

I've been thinking I have a SUOX variant but one of my snps disappeared when 23andme added more info.

14. wiltedflower77

wiltedflower77

Hi I know this is an old post. Does anyone know if there is a doctor who knows about sulfur problems other than Dr Andy Cutler? It's too complicated to try and treat myself I'm going round in circles. Thank you anyone.

See more popular forum discussions.