Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Tweets on talks on CFS by Peter White, Julia Newton & Alastair Miller

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Tom Kindlon, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

[I found the ones by Peter White the most interesting e.g. "White: only treatments that have bn successful for CFS derive from psychiatry/psychology #GAP2014."

They're in reverse chronological order i.e. newest first]

------------------------

2. duncan

duncan Senior Member

It's like eavesdropping on a clandestine conversation about a new story line between J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis and Robert E. Howard - with a comparable amount of fantasy.

I am particularly drawn to the reference attributed to Miller that CFS is often associated with viral infections and adverse life events. Everyone, pretty much I should imagine, has had viral infections and adverse life events. Everyone.

moosie, Woolie, Snowdrop and 8 others like this.
  3. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Disturbing comments by White, as usual, particularly the bit about everyone with CFS being able to feed themselves and that if they don't eat they have an eating disorder. I know from personal experience that he's wrong.

moosie, justy, NK17 and 7 others like this.
  4. catly

catly Senior Member

outside of NYC
    Maybe Ron Davis needs to have a conversation with him.

NK17 likes this.
  5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

It really is very NICE of P White to constantly provide us with his perspective on this illness. As his thinking is 'out there' for everyone to view in perpetuity.

I guess that he has no qualms about how his opinions will be viewed in the long term.

moosie, NK17, CantThink and 6 others like this.
  6. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Why do I get the feeling this is based on an uncontrolled study which fails to account for natural course?

[edit: It is! Thanks to A.B. for pointing out the relevant thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...pilot-study-on-the-comparison-with-hea.32563/ ]

APT is not the same pacing as done by many other patients.

Nonsense. Patients may be too ill to cook or eat properly. Patients may have nausea, digestion issues, or reduced appetite. Treatments may also have side-effects which adversely affect eating. e.g. Tramadol.

These treatments have an unfair advantage, as treatments from other fields of medicine are expected to demonstrate efficacy in placebo-controlled trials, but CBT/GET for CFS gets a free pass. Nonblinded trials into a range of quackery are probably just as effective as CBT/GET for CFS.

Yet research funding for CFS is chump change.

And we wonder why almost half of patients in the clinic don't have CFS?

CFS probably isn't the same as ME if 'CFS' means chronic fatigue e.g. Oxford criteria.

Plenty of researchers seem to have their own fixed views.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    moosie, Esther12, justy and 8 others like this.
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Peter White is going to look like such an idiot once we have proof of biological pathology.

Oh wait, we already do! I guess he can't understand the two-day CPET research, nor comprehend the rather different CPET and blood results obtained from controls who actually are deconditioned, versus ME patients.

How long til he's shouting this on a street corner instead of getting yawned at in lecture halls?

Research 1st, justy, NK17 and 11 others like this.
  8. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

I don't understand. What is this supposed to be humor, cynism?

maryb likes this.
  9. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

NK17, WillowJ and biophile like this.
  10. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    No, just the poster's daily experience. Currently I am only able to get to the grocery about twice a month because I don't have the energy to drive 20 miles round trip. And to think I used to drive 500 miles a day, five or six days a week!

justy, Bob, NK17 and 6 others like this.
  11. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

Ok, thanks! I thought it was Peter White talking, and making fun of us. :vomit:

12. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

It was the personal comment from the twitter user who was also posting Peter White's comments so that the rest of us could point and laugh.

13. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

The problem is he hasn't bothered to listen to his patients and understand what CFS is and he is just equating it with feeling tired. Hence he doesn't appreciate issues such as nausea, loss of appetite as well as the issues of getting support to get meals when severely affected.

When he claims psychological treatments are the only ones to have success we should remember that he had to change practically every element of the PACE protocol to get results that were still way below what he predicted. Including changing the definition of recovered to be below the trial entry criteria and suppressing the results as defined in the protocol. So does he really believe what he is saying he must know his results are rubbish and don't support his theories.

Bob, maryb, WillowJ and 10 others like this.
  14. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Is there more information about Dr Newton's point of view?

Is there a video of the event available?

NK17 likes this.
  15. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    A particularly interesting claim right there...

It's funny how we sometimes mistake the trees for the forest.

justy, NK17, maryb and 1 other person like this.
  16. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    It's weird how a supposedly qualified psychiatrist does not know that the the necessary prerequisite for diagnosis of eating disorders is a deliberate change in eating habits specifically due to body dismorphia (fixation on appearance, usually with a distorted view of self-appearance). You cannot have an eating disorder without fixation on strictly controlling body shape or size, and this must be the cause of change in eating habits.

(I read up on this because I get accused of having one, solely due to being underweight, from time to time.)

Saying you are too sick, too exhausted, too nauseated, too weak, or just don't feel hungry is not an eating disorder.

Suggesting otherwise is a massive fail, and risks missing potentially hugely important medical pathology. This is dangerous.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Sea, justy, Bob and 9 others like this.
  17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

re trouble feeding oneself: he seems to take no account of the real poverty a lot of patients find themselves in. That, along with difficulty shopping and cooking, can make it a lot more difficult to eat properly because the sort of convenient foods that do not take a lot of energy to prepare are often more expensive too. I had a period of being really broke, and it did mean that I ended up eating less than I should... that's not an eating disorder!

Snow Leopard, justy, rosie26 and 5 others like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Peter White/St Bartholomew's Hospital Chronic Fatigue Services comments on the draft NICE guidelines

One can find more of such quotes in the link in my signature.

WillowJ, maryb and Valentijn like this.
  19. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Generally I agree ... if someone has an illness, that's far more likely to be the cause. And Peter White needs some intensive psychotherapy himself, regarding his various delusions about ME/CFS.

But anorexics and bulemics will often claim a medical reason for their low weight. A girl in my dorm at uni did that (hogging the one working toilet on our floor in the process :meh:), and when I called them I was told by uni Health Services that they wouldn't get involved unless she approached them. Her medical claim was rather bizarre, involving a supposed car accident, but she admitted she had a problem and thanked me after I printed out a "how to get help" brochure and a brief personal letter and slid it under her door.

CantThink and maryb like this.
  20. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    why would they just remove the comment, I wonder? I would edit to "dietitian or gastroenterologist". There is nothing that says a patient with a CFS diagnosis cannot have celiac disease, Crohns, etc. And dietitian is perfectly well qualified to diagnose and treat eating disorders, in case that's present. (edit: not that it's bad to have a psychiatrist do this, but it's unnecessary to complain that there is no one to diagnose/treat eating disorder, on the original list)

However it is 100% untrue that persons with CFS do not lose weight or experience malabsorption, though this might be due to comorbid IBS (yes, you can have that from "IBS"). Maybe this is not in the research, but that is only because no one thought to ask.

Edit: of course the GI problems or "IBS" could be from the ME itself

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.