• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trouble with adenosyl-B12 -weight gain

Violeta

@STAR, 2 pounds is a big drop! Is it from cutting back on carbs? That's interesting about the copper! Why are you cutting back on copper? I remember reading something about copper recently, but my brain is like swiss cheese today.

@Veronica, yes, I've seen that article about the different effects of the various probiotics. I'm working my way to using solely bifidobacteria. By the way, what do you think about his ideas on coffee? Sometimes I think I should make an effort to drink some good coffee.

@whodathunkit, you're welcome, let me know what you think about the article. It seems like such a complicated way to look at the problem, and I didn't even get to the part about how to deal with it yet.
I am trying some kimchi, but it might be too strong because of all the probiotics it contains, so good idea about the carrot salad with coconut oil. I was terribly spacy today, and chewed on a mouthful of coconut flakes. That seemed to help. I guess my body is too toxic to go straight to the probiotics.

whodathunkit

@Violeta, be careful with coffee. It can increase the extraction of some of the cofactors necessary for methylation like potassium, magnesium, zinc, etc. Also is a known blocker of iron.

I'm currently taking green coffee bean extract to help my insulin resistance (it has the chlorogenic acid in it that increases the excretion), so don't necessarily see this as a big problem. I just take extra minerals. Just thought I'd mention because I don't really know where you are with supplementation of minerals and it can be crucial to some around here. But I love coffee although don't drink it except on special occasions because the caffeine is hell on my fibroids. The extract does seem to be helping me, and it has very little caffeine.

@veronica_corningstone: thanks for that link, too. Do you follow the Bulletproof diet? Have you tried the Amasi product he's touting? Sounds intriguing if quite pricey.

Violeta

@whodathunkit , I know you're right about the coffee. The blockage of minerals that it causes is probably why it causes me to have leg cramps.

I have a chaga extract from Sayan that looks like coffee and actually tastes better than coffee(at least to me), but makes me feel better. I am trying to cut out cream, which is necessary for it to taste good, but I just found a good tasting coconut milk, so I'm going to get back into drinking that.

@veronica_corningstone: thanks for that link, too. Do you follow the Bulletproof diet? Have you tried the Amasi product he's touting? Sounds intriguing if quite pricey.

I did pretty well on the Bulletproof diet and paleo-type diets in general, although I naturally prefer a more vegetarian-type diet and always find myself going back that way. I drink 1/2 cup of bulletproof coffee in the morning, but can't say I noticed any sort of benefit from it, I just like the taste of it. I've not tried the Amasi product and agree it does sound intriguing.

dannybex

I think I am in this club too - I was started on "methylation" stuff a year ago Nov - well started - things were crazy - no one bothered to check to see if my body was ready for it and event though I went slowly I still reacted to everything - I gained about 20 lbs in 2 or 3 months and gained about 10 since then.

I'll trade you places ANY day. Been losing muscle for the last 4 years and am now nearly bedridden.

whodathunkit

@whodathunkit could you explain more about your "insulin resistance" What exactly is that? How does the been coffee bean help" Is it related to being pre-diebetic?
There are things in coffee that are supposed to help lower blood sugar. It's hard to remember exactly what now, as I moved on from coffee bean a year and a half ago, and my cognitive function is still not great.

Anyway, I no longer take coffee bean. It was just an experiment. While coffee can positively affect insulin sensitivity, there are also things in coffee that negatively affect uterine fibroids. The green coffee bean seemed to really aggravate mine. Plus, the effect on blood sugar ultimately wasn't *that* great. It dropped a few clicks and then didn't drop any more. Not a good cost/benefit ratio for me. So I stopped it.

Sorry can't help more. :(

whodathunkit

@whodathunkit have you found anything that is natural that will work to lower blood sugar?
Probiotics and prebiotics, a diet of entirely unprocessed food, and eating mostly (and by mostly I mean 85% or more) saturated fat not polyunsaturated fat (i.e., no omega-6). That's why @Gondwanaland pointed you to that thread.

But it's a long, slow slog. I don't know how old you are, but positively impacting my insulin sensitivity has gotten a lot harder as I've gotten older. I've had "minor" (that is, mildly pre-diabetic) blood sugar problems for years, but time was that just a few months of a really healthy diet would normalize my glucose. I could correct it just with food. But the reason I never completely corrected it was that I was a junk food addict and always "fell off the wagon" of healthy eating. I kept falling off because I never addressed the foundational problem that was driving my cravings (and also helping to create the insulin resistance) : the flora balance in my gut. Beneficially changing that can take a long time.

Also lipid balance has something to do with insulin sensitivity, too, because if your cells aren't permeable then insulin can't do its work properly. Lipid balance has a lot to do with cell permeability. Omega-6 seems to contribute to with rigid (impermeable) lipid barriers in our cells.

Gut flora and lipid balance are also tied together because correct flora balance will help your body create the SCFA's (saturated fat) you need to improve cell/lipid barrier permeability. Eating saturated fat will help, too, but based on my experience we need that SCFA production in the gut, as well.

Anyways, my sugars are coming down. My post-prandial sugars are by and large normal. But I still have "dawn phenomenon" where my sugars are always higher in the morning. I can have a glucose level of 85 right before bed and it will be 110 or more when I wake up in the morning. :meh: From what I've read and put together this has to do with cortisol going up and the liver dumping glucose in response to what the body perceives to be very low sugar in the wee hours. Probably also has to do with pancreatic function. But I don't understand all about it by any means. It's like there's something out there in the fog I can't quite see.

But, since my overall sugars seems to be coming down, I'm just gonna ride it out for the long haul and see where I am in another year. It's all I can do, anyway. Even if my sugars never normalize completely I'm still much better just from having tried to correct them, so I consider that a win.