• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Transdermal B12 oils

Johnmac

I'm pretty sure it was @ahmo who told me how to DIY.

What I did was crush up tablets, mix them with oil, then strap that mix to my wrists for a few hours. In my case there was definitely an effect - but it ran everywhere & wasn't worth it. However I believe ahmo made it work.

The oils aren't cheap, but they also require lower doses because of their much higher penetration. And the trouble they (& the accompanying protocol) save is huge.

I'm pretty sure it was @ahmo who told me how to DIY.

What I did was crush up tablets, mix them with oil, then strap that mix to my wrists for a few hours. In my case there was definitely an effect - but it ran everywhere & wasn't worth it. However I believe ahmo made it work.

The oils aren't cheap, but they also require lower doses because of their much higher penetration. And the trouble they (& the accompanying protocol) save is huge.
Thank you. How much were you crushing up when applying? Might experiment with this method today and use clingy wrap to prevent it running everywhere.

So overall b12oils are more effective and less trouble in your opinion?

Johnmac

Thank you. How much were you crushing up when applying? Might experiment with this method today and use clingy wrap to prevent it running everywhere.

So overall b12oils are more effective and less trouble in your opinion?

I didn't keep a record - but I seem to remember grinding up 2 or 3 Country Life or Enzy pills at a time. I'd sleep with the bandage on sometimes. There was definitely an effect, but it wasn't as even or constant as the oils are.

I tried grinding up methylfolate too, but Greg (B12 Oils) later told me that folate won't work well transdermally - not till he cracks the science of getting it thru the skin.

Yes, much less trouble - the oils take about 30 seconds a day; and there's no complex protocol to follow, juggling one nutrient & another, & the ensuing crashes.

arewenearlythereyet

Sorry if this has been asked but is there an effective DIY to the b12 oil? Ordering from the site seems quite expensive. Thank you
There was a suggestion to use bluebonnet 5000mcg liquid (methyl B12) mixed into moisturiser. I tried it (think it was 15 drops equivalent but memory isn't too good ATM, so best to work out the maths yourself using 0.02 ml per drop). Think it was @alicec that recommended it on this thread.

I didn't find it nearly as effective as the b12 oils though. The oils are way way more effective than sublingual so you need to be on at least 10000mcg of methyl b12 sublingual before trying. Sublingual has a 5-10% absorption whereas subdermal has 80%. You don't get this all in one hit like sublingual but over 8 hrs. Obviously if you are doing subcutaneous injection this isn't an issue just thought I would mention it.

The b12 oils are expensive but there is a discount when you order 3 bottles. I have reordered these twice now since they are so much better than anything else I've tried.

garyfritz

As others have said, some people have had good results crushing B12 sublinguals and mixing it into lotion. I really doubt, though, that that will be as effective as the Aussie oil. He did a lot of research to find the most effective formula to deliver it efficiently through your skin.

The B12 itself is not cheap, and the oils are very efficient. I'm not sure that making it yourself would be any cheaper than the oil.

Kathevans

As other above have said, the B-12 Oils are terrific. I've used the Methyl B-12 Oil for about a year now, at least once a day, and have been experimenting with the Adeno/Methyl mix. I can't wait to be totally off the sublinguals---though I still used the sublingual B2 and occasionally top up with one in the middle of the night. Still trying to find the right time of day to apply to most help sleep.

I currently take sublingual CL methyl b12 but what is the advantage of taking Adeno/Methyl b12 oil. Should I order both Methyl and Adeno/Methyl oils? It is more effective that way?

I emailed Greg but no response yet

Eastman

Sorry if this has been asked but is there an effective DIY to the b12 oil? Ordering from the site seems quite expensive. Thank you

There was a thread on this.

For me, I open up a capsule of Doctor's Best methylcobalamin, pour out the content and cover it in body lotion, wait for it to dissolve over a few hours, then just rub it in. Seems to work.

I currently take sublingual CL methyl b12 but what is the advantage of taking Adeno/Methyl b12 oil. Should I order both Methyl and Adeno/Methyl oils? It is more effective that way?

I emailed Greg but no response yet

Freddd thinks Adenosylcobalamin is important.

alicec

There was a suggestion to use bluebonnet 5000mcg liquid (methyl B12) mixed into moisturiser. I tried it (think it was 15 drops equivalent

Three drops of the Bluebonnet liquid (5000 mcg/ml, not the 1000 mcg/ml version) is equivalent to one pump of the methylB12 oil, assuming the absorption rate is equal, which it may not be. I've imagined the DIY version might have a lower rate of uptake than the oil (which is calculated to have 80% absorption).

I just put a small blob of body lotion into the palm of the hand, add the Bluebonnet liquid, mix with a finger and rub into the soft skin of inner arms, thighs, abdomen or buttocks.

I found the Bluebonnet liquid to be a cheap way of experimenting with very high doses for several months.

I have now stopped that experiment but still sometimes use the Bluebonnet, sometimes the oil. Both seem effective to me. I regard 5 drops as equivalent to 1 pump.

garyfritz

I think you have to try it and see what works for you. If I use pure methyl oil, I still have symptoms. Same with pure methyl sublingual, same with the hydroxy/methyl oil. If I use the ado/me oil, the symptoms basically disappear. I seem to need the combination.

CCC

I think you have to try it and see what works for you. If I use pure methyl oil, I still have symptoms. Same with pure methyl sublingual, same with the hydroxy/methyl oil. If I use the ado/me oil, the symptoms basically disappear. I seem to need the combination.
We have to use both: 1 slurp of the adenosyl/methyl and 2 squirts of the methyl.

We used to use 2 slurps of the adenosyl/methyl, but it's not wanted any more (nausea tells us when we don't need more adenosyl - someone called Lena of the B12 megathread had the same issues)

arewenearlythereyet

We have to use both: 1 slurp of the adenosyl/methyl and 2 squirts of the methyl.

We used to use 2 slurps of the adenosyl/methyl, but it's not wanted any more (nausea tells us when we don't need more adenosyl - someone called Lena of the B12 megathread had the same issues)
I was considering trying the adenosyl/methyl. Currently I take 2 slurps of hydroxy/methyl ...one in the morning, one at night. I was going to try subbing one of these for adenosyl/methyl on alternate days at first. Is there a difference for whether you take at night or in the morning from your experience?

CCC

I was considering trying the adenosyl/methyl. Currently I take 2 slurps of hydroxy/methyl ...one in the morning, one at night. I was going to try subbing one of these for adenosyl/methyl on alternate days at first. Is there a difference for whether you take at night or in the morning from your experience?
We put it on my son's back in the morning before he wakes up.

When he was on the sublinguals, he usually wanted one or two at night as well to help him sleep better - but the oils are best in the mornings. An afternoon top-up is too much.

That adenosyl/methyl one is quite strong. Maybe start with just a dab to make sure you can tolerate it?

garyfritz

That shows how everyone is different. I need 2-4 squirts every day, sometimes another in the night.

And since I discovered hydroxy/methyl doesn't work for me, I have two unopened bottles I'd like to get rid of. No takers? I cut you such a deal, special bargain for you today only......

arewenearlythereyet

That shows how everyone is different. I need 2-4 squirts every day, sometimes another in the night.

And since I discovered hydroxy/methyl doesn't work for me, I have two unopened bottles I'd like to get rid of. No takers? I cut you such a deal, special bargain for you today only......
Haha @garyfritz I would definitely take you up in it but you said USA only. I'm in the UK. Happy to take your shady deal if you want to ship to the UK though.

CCC

@garyfritz here's a question for you (and anyone else with an answer): how would you tell when to reduce the methylB12 oil?

We've been on a slurp of the adenosyl/methyl and 2 slurps of the methyl B12 each day.

It's easy for us to tell when we don't need adenosyl: too much induces nausea, loss of appetite etc. We used that to cut down to 1 slurp of adenosyl/methyl each day.

After a year on the oils, and more than that on B12 in general (we started with sublinguals), I wouldn't mind finding a way to check whether the same amount of methylB12 is needed.

By the way - this B12 oil is fantastic. The vendor also provides fantastic customer support. I can't recommend the company highly enough. On top of that, it's one of the few supplements made in Australia, so we don't, for a change, pay something we call the Australia tax - where we pay more for the same thing just because we live here.

Kathevans

Many of us have benefitted from and experimented with the B-12 Oils. @Johnmac, and @Athene*, among others. I find it a great advantage over using the sublinguals--which made me feel sick at the base of my throat from the artificial sugars. For me, figuring out the mystery of the combination of B-12s in the Adenosyl/ Methyl mix continues, but, as I said above, it's clear that my body wants it even more than the Methyl alone. I wonder if my high need, like Gary's, stems from mercury toxicity, a possibility I am looking into. I have a mouth full of crowns and root canals and despite nearly two years of experimentation, am still struggling with finding a balance with Fred's/Greg's protocols.

What has added to my own knowledge is Greg Russell-Jones's different view of methylation from either Fred or Rich, one he has come to after years of research as a PhD in Biochemistry. As to whether one or the other of these protocols is the 'right' one, I, for one, cannot say. It's for each of us to fiddle around, experiment and come to our own conclusions.

I find Greg's voice in the mix a good and enormously generous one, and another perspective from which to view what's going on in my body.

@CCC finding the right dose is a trick I have been trying to figure out as well. It's occurred to me just in the last day or so that it may be that my folate deficiency symptoms--notably a runny nose and a tightening of facial muscles--may in fact be that the B-12 Oils I've put on in the morning, 1 each of the Methyl B12 and the Adenosyl/Methyl, have run out, used up, or been exhausted in my body, and I may really need more B12 to absorb the Folate that I dose 4x each day.

To that end, I'm upping my sublinguals in the afternoon and evening--and would eventually move one of the Oils, or add another to my later-in-the-day routine.

This is just a way of saying that experimentation and noticing and noting symptoms is the only way I know for each of us to try to figure things out. And for me, this continues to be a challenge. I wish it were otherwise!

Last edited:

CCC

@CCC finding the right dose is a trick I have been trying to figure out as well. It's occurred to me just in the last day or so that it may be that my folate deficiency symptoms--notably a runny note and a tightening of facial muscles--may in fact be that the B-12 Oils I've put on in the morning, 1 each of the Methyl B12 and the Adenosyl/Methyl, have run out, or been exhausted in my body, and I may really need more B12 to absorb the Folate that I dose 4x each day.

To that end, I'm upping my sublinguals in the afternoon and evening--and would eventually move one of the Oils, or add another to my later-in-the-day routine.

This is just a way of saying that experimentation and noticing and noting symptoms is the only way I know for each of us to try to figure things out. And for me, this continues to be a challenge. I wish it were otherwise!

You might have hit on something. We've started treating for bartonella, and everything is changing, including an increased demand for folate. The morning need is extreme (runny nose, bright red eyes).

I'd thought that maybe we didn't need so much b12 - maybe we were putting the system into overdrive, but I think the opposite could be true. Maybe we need a tad B12 in the evenings to smooth out life overnight.

It's very clearly a result of the liver support herbs at least (specifically milk thistle), but we need to do more reading to work through it a bit more.

garyfritz

I agree with @Kathevans. I believe we're all different, and we need to figure out what our own specific symptoms are that benefit from B12. Then if those symptoms come back, you need to boost the B12.

I had been taking 3 squirts a day. I started taking the Cutler-recommended "Core Four" (C, E, Mg, Zn) which are supposed to help protect your body from mercury-caused oxidative stress. My B12 needs immediately dropped by about half -- I was able to drop to 1-2 squirts a day with ZERO symptoms. For almost a week I didn't take any B12 AT ALL and didn't suffer for it, but eventually I went back up to 2. Over the course of about 6-8 months the Core Four seems to have lost some of its effectiveness for me, and I often need another dose in the night. Maybe I used up my B12 reserves by dropping to 2 doses/day, not sure.

I'd thought that maybe we didn't need so much b12 - maybe we were putting the system into overdrive, but I think the opposite could be true. Maybe we need a tad B12 in the evenings to smooth out life overnight.
Night time is when I have some of my main symptoms: can't sleep, wake up agitated and nightmarish, tense and twitching muscles, dead hangover-like feeling the next day, etc. That tells me I need more B12. 1/4 of a CL is actually usually enough to go back to sleep, though sometimes I need another shot of oil. I take two squirts of oil at bedtime, and sometimes that only lasts me 3-4 hours. I don't know why my nighttime B12 needs are so high. I will probably go back to my 3x/day dosing, adding a squirt in the morning, and hopefully that will get me back to the good level I was at after I started the Core Four.