Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

This is working for me

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Darran321, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Darran321

Darran321

I have recently placed a message with regards to me having mild to moderate
    CFS I only have 2/3 symptoms head pain/ pressure, pain in neck glands
    I have tried numerous different medications and treatments all to no avail
    I have recently tried cold showers or cold baths twice daily
    I can can confirm after 3/4 weeks I'm having great success with it
    I become symptom free for most of the day I will have another 7.30pm and again any mild symptoms disappear
    I can even do some exercise.
    Anyone tried it or can give advice as to why and what medication could be helpful
    I live in England

2. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex
  3. Darran321

Darran321

Hi Chris
    We are dealing with the worse illness, with very little help from the medical world
    Stick in there, the cold showers are definitely doing something what ?
    I don't know

hellytheelephant likes this.
  4. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex
    Indeed! We just need to do whatever is within our capability I guess. I think the mechanisms of the cold immersion are creating a small amount of ''Beneficial stress'' on the body and consequentially helping to lower inflammation. There is this facebook group where people discuss it further, you should join:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/841011709386464/

5. Skippa

Skippa Senior Member

I get worried with cold showers or baths that it is dangerous? Is that true?

If I turn on my English taps on cold with no heat and shower or soak for 10 minutes, will I be ok? What about in the winter?

Thanks.

6. Darran321

Darran321

I would discuss with your doctor first, maybe do it gradually

7. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    @Darrin @ChrisD

Interesting experiences you are having.

Are you guys sensitive / do your symptoms worsen in the heat and/or the sun as some folks with ME are?

I am extremely sensitive to the cold (since ME), and stepping into a cold shower, even for 60 seconds, would mess me up with uncontrollable shaking/shivering and curled into the fetal position - it would be an extremely unpleasant experience.

I can lay in the sun all day and not feel worse, if anything, better. I also have a low body core temperature.

Perhaps you guys are 'thermally up (or down?) regulated' in the opposite way to myself?

Do you guys have a low core temperature?

8. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex
    @ScottTriGuy I generally do okay in the Sun for an hour or so, anything more and in the short term I will become incredibly drained yet I feel all the Vitamin D does some good long term. I enjoy going from sunbathing to the cold shower and this doesn't cause me any problems. My temperature stability is generally quite good even though my energy levels are low, six months ago I was having more issues with temperature changes

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  9. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

UK
    I read about someone supposedly curing his ME using cold baths years ago. I tried my own modified version (cool rather than cold) for a couple of weeks. I only had mild ME at the time. I did feel a bit more energy at first, so inevitably did a bit more, and crashed badly. End of failed experiment!

@Darran321 , I'm pleased it seems to be helping you, but do be careful and not increase your activity too quickly.

It might be a good idea to change the thread title to something more specific like 'Cold showers are working for me'.

ScottTriGuy and dangermouse like this.
  10. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member

That's interesting. I generally benefit from warmth (not too oppressive or hot). Any cold or damp weather or showers etc cause relapse.

11. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    I've been doing cold baths for 2 years now. Also from early May to Sept I've been swimming in the ocean which is pretty cold here.

I experience a positive response from these. My mood improves a lot, PEM symptoms decrease significantly especially nausea and weak legs - most effective if I catch the PEM early.

These improvements are temporary, not long term. But I'll take any kind of improvements that don't have payback. No payback from this for me.

I did have to build up slowly though. At first I could only do 30 seconds in the cold bath. Now I can do 10 minutes or more comfortably. Same with swimming in May. Just a few strokes then I had to get out. Now it's July and I can float around for 5-10 minutes but the waters warmed up a lot too.

I think the response I get is mainly due to the anti inflammatory effect and the endorphins. There may be other causes.

Dr Rhonda Patrick and Jack Kruse have studied cold therapy extensively (and sauna therapy for Patrick) and report that mitochondria are regenerated more quickly with cold therapy.

I can't recall the other positive effects they found. If you're interested, I recommend you google them.

@Darran321 @Skippa

lafarfelue and ScottTriGuy like this.

See more popular forum discussions.