August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Iceman Wim Hof Breathing Method

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by ChrisD, Apr 13, 2017.

1. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex
    Has anyone tried this method of deep breathing to get more oxygen around the system and supposedly regulate the immune system?

This guy recovered from Fibromyalgia using it and there has been a medical paper to show how this technique can stimulate the immune system https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034215/

2. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    I have heard of positive results from Zen Meditation, and Tantric Breathing practices also. When tolerated, cold exposure alone can help with immune regulation, as long as it is metered properly. Any combination of these techniques can be useful. I use vibration breathing to address migraine onset, and it helps, but does not cure. Given that, I can easily see how anything that calms your system can have a positive influence on immune factors.

ChrisD likes this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
  4. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    I think many ME patients with autonomic nervous system problems would have a lot of trouble with this Wim Hof method. The energy it takes for your body to warm up again could easily lead to a crash.

Btw, there have been reports about people dying while doing these exercises. Supposedly he doesn't warn people enough about possible harmful effects. This doesn't mean the exercises are dangerous per se, but caution is definitely in order for people like us who are weakened by chronic illness to begin with. (article about this here - this article talks about three people in 2015; there was another death in 2016)

Valentijn, ahmo and Mij like this.
  5. Deltrus

Deltrus Senior Member

I found the pranamaya breathing technique he uses gave around a 6% ish boost to my health in general permanently. Honestly my diaphragm and breathing in general was getting very weak from lying down all day every day, and the exercises can be done laying down so they are good for people with CFS. I still have CFS but I feel like I'l be a bit healthier when they find a cure than I would be without it.

People with CFS should also look into zhan zhuang and standing in horse stance. They really help preserve posture and proper musculoskeletal dynamics even for people with severe fatigue.

coomacats, ChrisD and ahmo like this.
  6. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex
    @Effi To be more specific, I wasn't suggesting the Ice bath breathing as first port of call. If you download the app or resources from Wim Hof Online, he has recorded various training videos seated in a meditation position. In that respect it is very safe. To be honest it has been making me feel quite tired but I am potentially sleeping better and 'healing', I have moderate CFS (not severe) so I have been able to try a few cold showers too which have contributed towards better ennergy levels by stimulating mitochondria...

Effi likes this.
  7. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex

See more popular forum discussions.