• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SOD supplement - Extramel French melon extract

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I am homogyous for the SOD2 A16V snp and I have suffered from poor sun tolerance for a long time. It has been really confining & uncomfortable to live in sunny South Florida and have a crash (large or small) if exposed to direct sunlight for more than 5 to 10 minutes.

I also had weakness, unable to get hard muscle after exercise, post exertional malaise & disturbed sleep.

I would like to report that taking 150 I.U. of SOD in the form of Extramel French melon extract has really helped my sun tolerance and overall feelings of wellness.

This new active form of SOD is a gluten-free altIernative to GilSODin. It is an excellent general antioxidant and may be especially helpful for those of us with SOD / SOD2 snps. These SNPs may well cause increased oxidative stress and NO/ONOO cycle dysfunction causing decreased SOD levels. Also copper-zinc imbalances may cause decreased SOD activity.

Dr. Lynch writes that low SOD levels may cause of methylfolate side effects and that supplementing can lower them.

I am curious to restart methylfolate with plenty of potassium (I left that out of my first attempts, which were unsuccessful) and SOD and see if that makes a difference!

Last edited:

Thinktank

@Sherpa, Great to hear the melon extract has helped you! Maybe you'll even notice more effect if you add some catalase and glutathione peroxidase.
One thing though, SOD (CuZnSOD) supplementation doesn't really help SOD2 (MnSOD) dysfunction. SOD2 = mitochondrial superoxide dismutase, SOD = cytoplasmic superoxide dismutase. Two different things.

I also have a double mutation in SOD2 A16v.

cigana

@Sherpa, Great to hear the melon extract has helped you! Maybe you'll even notice more effect if you add some catalase and glutathione peroxidase.
One thing though, SOD (CuZnSOD) supplementation doesn't really help SOD2 (MnSOD) dysfunction. SOD2 = mitochondrial superoxide dismutase, SOD = cytoplasmic superoxide dismutase. Two different things.

I also have a double mutation in SOD2 A16v.
You might be interested to try MitoQ, see my post here http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/significant-improvement-on-mitoq.35238/
@ahmo you too!

Sherpa

I bought it at SeekingHealth.com

I tried upping the dose to 1 full capsule (300 I.u.) and it was a bit more than I needed. The manufacturer of Extramel suggests an 140 i.u. dose and I find a half capsule per day works OK for me.

NotThisGuy

Does this only apply to sun intolerance, or also to vitamin D intolerance?
I was wondering why I could tolerate sun so well out of sudden after I supplemented copper (had deficiency).
Anyone tried SOD from Biotics? They kinda throw that stuff in lot of their products.

Sherpa

Update: My sun intolerance was caused by low NAD+ levels and it was fixed by Niagen.

JasonUT

@Sherpa

Thanks for the update. It's funny you mention NAD+ and Niagen. I was just researching B2 and B3 and possible relationship with glutathione reductase and recycling oxidized glutathione. I was trying to figure out which form(s) of B3 might support NADPH. I have a functional deficiency in B3 and low glutathione, and I don't think I have done enough to support it.

passwater.png

http://www.wikipathways.org/index.php/Pathway:WP2349