1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Significant Improvement Story -- Focus on Thiamine Deficiency

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Wayne, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I thought this was an excellent article, and I'll be following up on it for sure. Remarkably well-written, and easy to understand. It was just published on the ProHealth website this morning [July 3, 2013].

by Karen Lee Richards

How I Found My Long-Lost Energy

Helen, Radio, Tammy and 7 others like this.
  2. consuegra

consuegra Senior Member

3. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Thanks Consuegra for the link to your article, and also the link to the story that piqued your interest in Thiamine. I read the entire story (which is a bit lengthy). Here's a short snippet from that article for anybody interested in how a woman who had been diagnosed with CFS for nine long years discovered she had a thimine deficiency instead, and is leading a normal life today.

Thiamine Deficiency ...

LaurieL likes this.
  4. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    dannybex
    thought you might be interested in this thread

5. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Thanks Lotus -- and Wayne. (So Wayne...you're still sneakin' over to Prohealth? :) )

Yes, thiamine is a biggie. Although about 9 years of brain fog got in my way, when I was moving to a new apartment three months ago, I found a receipt from 2004, where one of my old docs had prescribed thiamine injections. I had been doing methylb12 too -- and that had really helped back then -- but the thiamine helped calm me down and give me more energy at the same time. I only took it for a couple of months -- the injections do sting -- and back then, even though I couldn't work full time, I took my "health" for granted, (plus, was also taking other supplements), so I forgot about the B1 shots...but that was the last "best" time I had -- for about a year or more -- taking b12 and then b1.

I have a feeling that the reason she has to take so much orally is because of the thiaminase factors that are not only in a lot of foods besides the ones she mentioned, but also created by certain gut bacteria -- they can inhibit and sometimes completely destroy the thiamine content of the food or supplement.

Of course there are other factors, but lack of thiamine can create symptoms almost identical to ME/CFS.

6. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Since this is an easy and low risk-experiment, I'll try 1500 mg thiamine per day for a week and report the results.

Little Bluestem, Wayne and SOC like this.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

I'm thinking of doing the same thing but I was going to build up from 300 mg in 300 mg steps - it sounds as though you can overshoot!

Little Bluestem likes this.
  8. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    How about Benfotiamine instead of regular B1? I haven't read the whole article, but wondered about using this form?

Sushi

9. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    dannybex Are you taking the thiamine right now? If so, how much?
    And what, if any, positive results are you having?

10. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

B.C., Canada
    That's the form I use, too, the benfo form. I increased mine today and will increase in careful increments. Will report back in a few days too!

11. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Agreed. I will titrate up from 500 mg in 500mg steps.

Also since B1 is water soluble, the therapy should be enhanced by spreading the dose over the day.

Sasha likes this.
  12. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    I believe that benfotiamine is a fat-soluble form of vitamin B1. That means that it is generally better absorbed by the body, but it also means that it stores up. ...So you might want to be careful about taking too much of it for too long. With the water-soluble kind, it is generally thought that any excess is flushed out with the urine, and that's what makes overdoses less of a big concern there. I would be very cautious about taking this kind of mega-dose of benfotiamine. If you want to try that much B1, a tiny bit of benfotiamine and the rest regular thiamine might be safer. Or at least, I would consult a knowledgeable naturopath about it.

SOC, helen1, Wayne and 1 other person like this.
  13. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    After about six weeks, my old doc finally called back (he doesn't check his email), and prescribed thiamine shots again.

But those are kind of painful, and only suppose to take them twice a week, so someone else on another forum recommended Source Natural's Coenzymated B1 -- it's the active form of thiamine -- and it's sublingual, so it hopefully gets into the system faster and easier. Only downside is that it's a rather small dosage -- 25mgs, and I think -- emphasize 'think' -- that I need more, but there's only 60 tablets in a bottle, so if I take more...then I could go through a bottle in 2 weeks.

I have noticed a little less pain in my feet at times (less lactate?), and also don't seem to need as much hydrochloric acid caps with my meals. Thiamine (along with zinc, etc., ) is required to produce stomach acid.

Sasha and Wayne like this.
  14. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Wayne likes this.
  15. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

That's something I should have been asking - if there are different kinds, what should we be buying? If coenzymated is the active form, is that the one to go for? Any other issues?

16. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

I just checked their site and I can't find that product (I checked under 'C' for 'Coenzymated' and 'T' for 'thiamine' too!):

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/alpha_search/B/

Edit: do you mean the coenzymated b-complex?

17. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
  18. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Thanks, Danny - that's a titchy dose but I wonder if a smaller dose sublingually is equivalent to a larger dose of a tablet that you swallow?

19. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Interesting. Thanks Dan, for sharing this info.

After watching Terry Wahls video on her recovery from MS (with a paleo diet and supplements that included B12, B1, and folate), I bought a bottle of the Source Naturals Coenzymated B1, and included one tablet in my daily routine, until I eventually ran out. This was about a year and half ago. I didn't notice much of a change. But also no drastic side effects, like I get when I take just a little too much B12.

How much B1 would you need to take to actually feel a difference? And how do you know if you have a REAL B1 deficiency? There's so many things that claim to help fatigue, but not everyone has the same deficiencies. So just because it's helpful for some, it might not work the same for everyone.

20. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Perhaps it is, since it's absorbed in the mouth, and wouldn't encounter the thiaminase (anti-thiamine) enzymes in the foods we're eating or in gut...???

See more popular forum discussions.