• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sept 10: CDC 'conference call' including Unger and Lipkin

Daisymay

Hi, does anyone know if you can use Skype for such calls?

And would the number work from overseas or is it a kind of US only free phone number?

Even if all Lipkin does is to explain how his research is going, I reckon it is really significant that the CDC have asked him to speak. In the not too distant past the idea of the CDC having someone like him speak, someone who views ME/CFS as a physical disease, would have been unthinkable. So even if we get no substantial news from Lipkin, I think this is really quite a turn around for the CDC.

Daisymay

Bob, do you know what we would be charged for this call from the UK? Or is this a sort of free phone number?

And is it 8pm UK time please?

readyforlife

Once again I'm hoping for something good. I thought that if the CDC is having this phone conference call it has to be something ground breaking. But I looked on the CDC website and the last time they had one of these phone conference calls was in January and it was with Dr. Klimas and all they talked about is exercise and such. Love Dr. Klimas and the article I read about exercise was interesting, but not life changing. So I have my fingers crossed this isn't something like that and something that is life changing. I know i'm getting greedy but I can't help myself, life just seems to be going by sooo fast. :)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I thought that if the CDC is having this phone conference call it has to be something ground breaking.

I'm managing my expectations for this one!

I think that if Lipkin had anything big to say he'd announce it with a press conference and that he'd do it the day his publication came out. I don't think there's going to anything gigantic here - at best we might get some hints, is all I'm thinking.

I hope to be wrong! :)

Nielk

I'm managing my expectations for this one!

I think that if Lipkin had anything big to say he'd announce it with a press conference and that he'd do it the day his publication came out. I don't think there's going to anything gigantic here - at best we might get some hints, is all I'm thinking.

I hope to be wrong! :)

I totally agree. If this was anything major, Lipkin would not choose this modality to make an announcement.

Bob

Bob, do you know what we would be charged for this call from the UK? Or is this a sort of free phone number?

And is it 8pm UK time please?

It's either 8pm or 9pm UK time. Probably 8pm. (They advertised their time as EST, but we think they mean EDT.)

I've no idea how much it costs from the UK, and it depends on your who provides your phone service, and the package that you're on.

BT's standard evening rate to the USA is 13.3p a min for standard phone numbers.
I don't know how much they charge for special numbers. It might be less for a free-phone number, or more.

Legendrew

Is anyone listening? I can't listen myself so i'm hoping someone can post updates either here or twitter. =)

Nielk

Topic: Infection and immunity
Dr. Unger - welcome
Recording is being made by CDC
Data from multi-site study - 7 clinicians = 471 pts
Same info that she gave at the FDA and CFSAC

Nielk

Talking about educational initiatives - CME credit courses for medical practitioners - students

Simon

Topic: Infection and immunity
Dr. Unger - welcome
Recording is being made by CDC
Data from multi-site study - 7 clinicians = 471 pts
Same info that she gave at the FDA and CFSAC
Had to do something else so only half listening but she said will stick to 1 day CPET test, not 2 days - but also that she had discussed this with Chris Snell who had said there would still be 'some value' in the 1 day test, despite his preference for 2 -day test

Nielk

Dr. Lipkin - no government sponsorship
CFS Initiative and anon. donor

No single agent and no cause for CFS
Some interesting leads though..search for infectious agents,