Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Rituximab + IVIG

Discussion in 'Rituximab: News and Research' started by kms1990, Oct 26, 2017.

1. kms1990

kms1990

Has anyone tried this, or have any experience / literature of their affect when administered together?

pibee and Gingergrrl like this.
  2. Molly98

Molly98 Senior Member

Just tagging in @Gingergrrl she's the one to ask on this one :)

3. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @kms1990 I am still in the middle of doing IVIG and Rituximab together, and can answer any questions you have re: my experience, but I do not have any literature re: the affects of using the two together.

pibee likes this.
  4. pibee

pibee

I have a question for you, @Gingergrrl , how did the doctor exclude possibility of chronic bacterial infections, in your case? I mean, since all tests are not very reliable, like bartonella, even by Galaxy.
    And do you know if this is a major dealbreaker for rituximab? I am confused because I know they give it to PANS children, who have it from lyme/bartonella... but yet I hear you cant have it if you have suspected chr bacterial infections. Hmmm... it is much more affordable than IVIG, so I wish i could do it :/

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    justy, Gingergrrl and Jesse2233 like this.
  5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I guess you can't ever exclude anything 100% but in my case, my symptoms did not match with Lyme or tick-borne diseases, I'd never had a tick bite that I know of and do not live in a part of country with many ticks, and I'd never been scratched by a cat (and am deathly allergic to cats). I was tested for Lyme three separate times (2010, 2012, and 2014) just to be as sure as possible and was negative on every single band with not even one band equivocal. I was also negative for Bartonella and Babesia. I also had three triggers of my illness that were indisputable: a neurotoxic reaction to Levaquin, followed by severe Mono from EBV, followed by severe toxic mold exposure.

I actually do not know anything about PANS and can't really comment but my general understanding is that Rituximab is unsafe if you have active infections like Lyme or Bartonella. But others probably know more about this aspect than I do. I was tested for Hepatitis, TB, and the JC virus prior to starting Rituximab.

6. kms1990

kms1990

Thanks! How far along are you with Ritux? Have you noticed any adverse affects since beginning?

Based on what I have read about b cells ect it seems positives impact would start showing up a few months in, maybe faster if you also have IVIG eating up "bad" antibodies previously produced by the now depleted b cells.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  7. Butydoc

Butydoc President

The average interval from start of Retuximab and a clinical response was approximately 6mo. This information was available from the phase 2 trial from Mella/Fluge. There were a few who responded by week 10-12. The maximum level of improvement was seen between 6-12 months.

ukxmrv, Gingergrrl and AnnaDove like this.
  8. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I had the initial two Ritux infusions (7/18 and 8/1) and my first maintenance infusion is in two days. I honestly have not had any adverse affects from it whatsoever and it is easier to tolerate than IVIG in my experience. I had a mild allergic reaction during the second infusion which completely reversed with IV Benadryl.

This is my understanding as well.

I have already responded to Rituximab and am (approximately) at the 3-month mark so I am very excited to see how I will be doing at the six month mark (end of Jan/early Feb 2018). How are you doing @Butydoc with your Rituximab and where are you in the process?

Benji and ukxmrv like this.

See more popular forum discussions.