1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Really nasty cold after starting methylation supps

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by whodathunkit, Feb 17, 2014.

1. whodathunkit

whodathunkit Senior Member

So I started taking some methylation supps a few weeks ago (mB12, methylfolate). But I didn't get the Anabol Naturals Dibencoplex Solgar, or LCF until middle of last week or so.

Overall I felt much better, but adjusted methylfolate for a bit of spaciness and irritability, and some minor "alternating poop issues". Also minor edema around my ankles. But I've gotten that from time to time for a while. I have some blood sugar issues I'm working on, as well.

Then yesterday morning I felt great. Even-tempered, good energy, etc. But while I was exercising I noticed my nose was really, really runny. Which is very weird, because I don't have allergies and my nose almost never runs. Even when I get a virus I usually get a "yin" type cold where the congestion just stays in my head and won't come out. The virus runs its course without me ever expelling anything. I haven't had a "yang" runny-nose type cold in over 20 years. I chalked it up to partial methyl block and upped my methylfolate again.

Yesterday afternoon it became clear I wasn't feeling well at all. Runny nose, sneezing, generally out of sorts. I didn't sleep well last night because my nose kept blocking up.

Today I feel like crap and still having runny nose and sneezy issues. And I'm really tired. Little edema around my ankles.

No post-workout soreness from yesterday's workout (D-ribose seems to take care of that pretty well).

My question: is this a partial methyl block? Or (to paraphrase the good doctor Sigmund) is sometimes a cold just a cold?
  2. whodathunkit

I've pretty much answered my own question now, for anyone who might be interested.

I seriously upped my folate, just to see what would happen. I was taking about 4 mg on Saturday, 7 on Sunday, and yesterday I was up to 10 mg, last dose around 10p. By the time I fell asleep around 1a this morning, my runny nose and nasal blockage was gone, without any OTC cold meds. I've taken nothing to try to alleviate my symptoms except supplements.

What sleep I got was great, although the runny nose/blockage came back this morning around 5:30a and awakened me.

But today, despite being sleep deprived, I feel better overall, and my "alternating poop issues" are resolved. The minor edema around my ankles is more minor still (almost gone). I plan to up my folate dosage a couple more mg today to see if that can't rid me of my symptoms entirely.

I guess I am in worse shape than I thought, if this much methylfolate is of benefit to me. :-|
    Star-Anise likes this.
  3. Star-Anise

Star-Anise Senior Member

thanks for posting @whodathunkit
    I'm in the same position. I get these detox-y symptoms & edema & so far, when I up my methylfolate they tend to disappear. Seems we ware doing the folate dance together :) xoxo S
  4. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City

HI Whodathunkit,

You've got me thinking. Lack of b12/folate can cause very thick sticky congealed mucous, gums up sinuses, makes for raspy voice. Right after I get started, before Metafolin was easily available, I had a two week "cold" with a sore throat, not at all typical of what colds had been like for me. A lot of people have mentioned this. In the folate deficiency list "flu like symptoms" are mentioned. Maybe that should be modified to include "cold like symptoms". What do you think.
  5. whodathunkit

@Star-Anise :thumbsup: It's a lot more vigorous dance than I thought it was going to be. Frankly, I'd rather learn to foxtrot. LOL

@Freddd
    Freddd, my mucous has been more thin and runny, but there's a lot of it. My eyes are itchy, red, and watery, nose frequently itchy, sneezy, and runny, sinuses *hurt*. I don't have allergies but have had "bad" sinuses since the '80's (sadly, for all the '80's reasons). I'm inclined to view this as a healing problem rather than just one of the viruses that are going around my area primarily because of the profound effect on my sinuses.

I'm coughy, but it's not hacky or productive. Comes and goes. Throat is sore but not real bad. Voice is definitely raspy. Thankfully, however, the congestion (that awful feeling where one or both nostrils is blocked and you can't breathe, especially when lying down) has not returned, and I haven't used any nasal decongestant. I'm trying to stay away from that because I've because I don't want to inhibit healing symptoms.

Definitely not a typical cold for me at all.

Worth noting is I definitely seem to feel better (symptoms clear more) right after I take a dose of methylfolate (like now). Also, I'm not entirely sure I haven't run a fever, but I don't have a thermometer so haven't checked. Sometimes I've felt like I had one.

If atypical cold symptoms seem to be a reported pattern in paradoxical methylfolate deficiency then maybe it would be helpful to people if you added that to your deficiency symptoms list.

I'm upping to 15g mfolate/day today. If my understanding is correct, there really is no upper limit of dosage, right? Except maybe what your wallet can support. LOL

See more popular forum discussions.