• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

potassium bicarbonate / ph balance

kel88

So how about potassium?
only thing I read is in Freddd his protocol.

I want to higher my PH in body especially in gut.
hopefully absorp nutrients better that way.

I read about sodium bircarbonate (baking soda) but also potassium bircarbonate.
I now we need potassium. my level was 4,1 last time they checked and was in middle range (Netherland).
so I read potassium is for in the cell and sodium out the cell.
But to alkalizing the body you need sodium potassium.
But when working on methylation we don't have enough potassium.
I do also absorp nutrients so badly at the moment (more gut problems?)
but it can also be because we are getting more acid so want to work on my PH.

How can I upper my potassium. don't want to take more and more pills I do take already so much...
is taking potassium bircarbonate a option in water?

I read everywhere what taking baking soda is helping to make youre body more alkalisch?

anybody thoughts of it of experience? :)

thanks so much!

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Dear kel88,
You cannot work on your pH. Your body will not allow whatever you eat to change its pH. All that you will do is alkalinise your pee. You will pee away all the salts you take in extra and achieve nothing at all.
Absorption in the gut has nothing to do with the pH of what you eat. The only possible effect of eating bicarbonate is that it will neutralise your stomach acid and reduce absorption there and make you burp CO2.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I often find that drinking a sodium bicarbonate solution gives me an energy boost within half an hour. One day recently in particular I needed to go shopping, involving a walk up a steep hill, but my legs were so weak I wasn't sure I could do it. Had my customary post-lunch bicarb, and within half an hour my legs were strong and light, and I managed the walk without much difficulty. The improvement can be dramatic sometimes.

If you need more of an electrolyte you don't necessarily need to take it as a supplement. This site shows you what foods are high in various nutrients.