The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Possible Brain Biomarker for ME/CFS Found

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by zzz, Oct 29, 2014.

1. zzz

zzz Senior Member

Oregon
    Fresh out of Stanford, a new study by Dr. Jose Montoya and colleagues:

Study finds brain abnormalities in chronic fatigue patients

The full article can be found by clicking on the title.

Justin30, Adele, cigana and 24 others like this.
  2. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    I'm looking forward to reading the full paper but I'd be very surprised if the findings are unique enough (or sufficiently clearly discriminate ME/CFS from controls) to represent a "CFS-specific diagnostic biomarker".

Still interesting though.

rosie26, Min and aimossy like this.
  3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

Fascinating. Someone should do MRI's of ME patients who have "recovered" or are in remission to see weather these changes persist when symptoms abate. It might reveal whether the changes seen on MRI's themselves produce the symptoms, or whether the changes are "collateral damage" or perhaps even some kind maker of susceptibility present from birth.

4. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

ME patiënts don't have afasie. This finding is not a biomarker at all.

5. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

These findings need to be replicated in a larger study. It also sounds like the patients were hand picked, so this might apply only to a subset of patients. If they were hand picked, the obvious question is: based on which criteria?

taniaaust1, PennyIA, justy and 3 others like this.
  6. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

I had it.

August59, justy and beaker like this.
  7. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Mackay, Aust
    I think you'll find many patients have mild visual and auditory aphasia at least.

Justin30, justy, beaker and 1 other person like this.
  8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    It is true that distinct aphasia is not observed in most ME patients. (literally not being able to speak)

It might suggest something else but I too lack confidence that those results are going to be useful.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  9. Min

Min Guest

UK
    Thankyou, I hope this leads to much more research on the badis of the findings.

beaker, mango, merylg and 3 others like this.
  10. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

It it well known that CFS patiënts have reduced white-and gray matter overall. Nothing new has been found. Nobody in the scientific world cares about these findings.

Min likes this.
  11. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

I agree

12. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Isn't aphasia due to problems with the LEFT arcuate fasiculus? This study found the abnormalities on the right arcuate fasiculus.

taniaaust1 and snowathlete like this.
  13. Matthew Jones

Matthew Jones Senior Member

14. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
    merylg, MeSci and Valentijn like this.
  15. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphasia

beaker, merylg, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  16. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
  17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Isn't it the case that they think the right arcuate nucleus might be enlarged due to suspected defects in the left arcuate nucleus? If I recall correctly, didn't the qeeg data show that the left arcuate nucleus was underpeforming? I could be wrong, its been a while since I saw the videos.

Also that the data on abnormalities arising out of the left arcuate nucleus is disputed and controversial?

PS While I was writing both @Snow Leopard and @lansbergen posted things that match with what I have read, even though I don't recall the specifics.

merylg, MeSci and Valentijn like this.
  18. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    merylg, zzz, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  19. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Another thing that came out of the Stanford symposium where this was measured is we have reduced cortical thickness in most places, but one place that is increased in thickness. Specific symptomology also matches likely symptoms when brain abnormalities were found by qEEG, or quantitative EEG. Also its worth remembering that these findings are similar to what the Japanese found with brain inflammation in their modified PET scan.

Different lines of investigation are showing similar things, and it was the Stanford study which enabled this by using one cohort for many studies. Patients results can then directly be compared study to study. What is interesting here is NOT any individual study so much, but that collectively they tell a larger picture.

All this relates to pathophysiology though, and does not directly give us a handle on causation. Yet if these studies hang together with replication etc., then any model of ME is going to have to reach a much higher standard to be acceptable.

Edit: Its clear I misremembered cortical thickness for white matter thickness. Its white matter, the connections between neurons plus a soup of immune cells, that is decreased.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    Justin30, SOC, WillowJ and 4 others like this.
  20. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

Word retrieval problems are part of both the CCC and ICC definitions of ME/cfs.

Justin30, SOC, justy and 10 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.