1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

My son has just been diagnosed with Autism

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by allyann, Dec 20, 2013.

1. allyann

allyann Senior Member

Melbourne Australia
    We have just had our son diagnosed with Autism. I know that it has some overlap with ME/CFS, but can it be passed down genetically?

I am really having a rough time digesting this information as my brain fog is worse with the stress.

2. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    @allyann, (((hugs))) to all of you! Please be very very gentle with yourself, and take comfort that you are ahead of most mothers who hear this news, as you will likely have heard of Yasko and methylation and glutamates etc--you and your little cutie have a big head start being part of PR and the neuro-immune community. At least when you read about DAN! doctors and the like much of it will make sense from the get-go.

Moms being such a protective, relentless group, there is a LOT of support and a wealth of resources out there for you and your
    tiny man. Just resting completely with things exactly as they are, resting, resting, and you'll know exactly what needs to happen.
    You don't have to worry about knowing anything right now.

In fact, love is the true solution, from which all the rest blossom naturally.

:hug:

3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Im very sorry to hear that Ally and sadly all too common.

Its what I warn people who have ME/CFS about when they are thinking about getting pregnant. I personally believe we are at quite a high risk of having a baby with Autism or children with Aspergers. Unfortunately there have been no studies yet done in this area but its easy to see if you start asking around in our forums and see the rates of this, its far above what it should be. ( Ive known several over the years with this illness and discussed this .. and sure enough they did end up having Autistic children. Its no coincidence thou some of these kids were fine when born but then got Autism right after vaccination (very clear symptoms suddenly). Did your baby get vaccinated?

Autism goes with this illness thou I believe without even vaccination thou that just increases the likihood in our kids.

I think whatever wrecks out detox ability in ME/CFS is something we are genetically predisposed too and something which also is in Autism (autism children tend to have more bad reactions to meds etc and more allergies). Both ME/CFS and autism seem to have methylation issues too. These things are closely linked. (have you ever got a methylation profile done eg 23andME report or anything like that.. it would give clues on things your son may need to help).

Yes its passed on genetically too (or a genetic risk for it). In my family my dad has Aspergers, I have Aspergers and one of my two children have Aspergers. I know some families who 2/3 children have Aspergers. So I do think if its in a family there is a quite high risk.. and maybe double a high risk if the mother has ME/CFS (and likely to be carrying some similar gene involvement too). (ME/CFS runs in my fathers side of the family too).

ally you are in Australia arent you? Unfortunately autism services are poor here thou there is some for children (but stupidly not much for adults when they are older. My Aspergers daughter gets no help and currently is at high risk of getting her own children taken from her as she cant care for them well, people are currently threatening to report her (and those kids probably should be removed, her house is terribly unheigenic and she never hugs, kisses her own children, in fact they get slapped if they touch her). Some families take their autistic children to America for treatment.

Does your son seem to be badly affected? Was the diagnoses done properly? It should be done with TWO autism experts who are in agreeance of the diagnosis (this would be even more important at your sons young age).

Feel welcome to share any problems you are having with his Autism... my Aspergers daughter had (and still has) a ton of issues. Sending you some **hugs**

Consider contacting the autism society in your state also if you have questions.. I assume most states would have one, I know my state does (they also have libraries in which you can borrow books on the subject etc and cousellors you could talk too about it by phone etc). Having autism isnt necessarily a bad thing many who have this will tell you... we are just different, react to somethings differently and can think very differently etc. I personally wouldnt like to be normal thou its not nice not always being able to fit in as far as the real world goes.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    L'engle and allyb like this.
  4. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    I have slight or mild Aspergers. Bearing in mind everything that happened in my life that in fact led me to this devastated and tortured state I would like to have born normal pretty strongly. Not in a brainless normal way, but in the not-socially-biochemically-and-emotionally-dysfunctional way. Anything that this disorder gave me it stole from me 10x more, at least as far as having a good life and enjoying yourself goes. As far as being more "intelligent" that almost everybody I know ( and everyone I know in real life anyway) it has worked well, but I could have achieved that with hard work being a happy and healthy person anyway and not prematurely in my wasted youth.

@allyann There are support groups and forums for parents of autistic kids and teenagers that are very informative. I´ve been there fishing for info to treat myself. I agree that there are so many things in common that is very likely ME/CFS is for some is just a late onset autism, which means that the diseased state begins when the brain and body are already developed. Just imagine, if a baby got the same some people here have wouldn´t it develop abnormally and become autistic?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    SickOfSickness and allyb like this.
  5. S.A.

S.A.

Missouri
    Hi @allyann ,

I'm so sorry to hear that you and your son are going through this. My oldest has Asperger's form of Autism with definite Sensory Processing Disorder. Sensory Processing Disorder has exactly the same symptoms of B12 deficiency and as he grew up he exhibited more and more symptoms of B12 def but these symptoms were swept under the Autism rug as just being inevitable instead of treatable. This year, my son finally started getting B12/methylation treatment properly and he is doing better than he has ever done in his whole life. An estimated 20% of kids on the spectrum are actually experiencing B12 deficiency and are being misdiagnosed. I wrote out our whole story in my introductory post Mama Bear and her cubs.
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/mama-bear-with-cubs.26975/

Best wishes!

taniaaust1, helen1, allyb and 2 others like this.
  6. Abha

Abha Abha

UK
    Hi Allyann,

Sorry to hear that your son has been diagnosed with autism.Don't despair there is Hope!
    You may find Dr Natasha Campbell Mc Bride's work/book of interest to you...site gaps.me....She is Russian by birth but living in UK .I have listened to many of her talks on youtube.She cured her own child who had autism.Since that he has been able to go to University and is leading a normal life.Her book is "Gut and psychology syndrome(GAPS)....natural treatment for autism,ADHD,dyslexia,dyspraxia,depression and schizophrenia....I believe she has another book coming out in February 2014.Dr Natasha refers to the genetic issues too.

7. Abha

Abha Abha

UK
    Hi Allyann,

Further to above I forgot to mention that Dr Natasha recommends Kefir and fermented vegetables to help the gut problems.The diet must be dealt with too.This is all covered in her book and in Youtube.

8. Elph68

Elph68 Senior Member

Hi Allyann,

Dr Henry Butt from Melbourne University has shown a strong link between autism and high levels of streptococcus in the system. You may like to contact bioscreen and get your little one tested.....

Cheers.

allyann likes this.
  9. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    (hugs) imho you've already received some excellent advice. But I wanted to add that I found Jenny McCarthy's book "Louder than words" both realistic and humorous.
    "Healing the 4 A's" was interesting and an easy read for a newbie.

tc ... x

allyann likes this.
  10. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Hi Allyann,

I think you probably had a good idea that this was the case but, it is still hard to hear such a diagnosis. I am sorry that your family has to deal with this but, I have faith that you and your husband will find the way to best deal with this.

I lack knowledge of this so I can't really give you any advice except to tell you that you are in my thoughts.

Hugs,:hug:
    Nielk

allyann likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.