1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Medium Breakthrough: New finding could lead to a treatment against EBV

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Waverunner, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

It seems that EBV can trigger infected cells to lose expression of the iNKT cell receptor ligand CD1d and therefore makes infected cells invisible to the immune system. Restoring CD1d expression by the use of an analog of retinoic acid lead to recognition of infected cells in an experiment.

Now the big question is, how we can increase CD1d expression in humans. Could we use what the scientists used?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131012093040.htm

Oct. 12, 2013 — Development of a vaccine against Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) has taken a step forward with the Canadian discovery of how EBV infection evades detection by the immune system.
    EBV causes infectious mononucleosis and cancers such as Hodgkin's lymphoma and nasopharyngeal carcinoma, which is the most common cancer in China, as well as opportunistic cancers in people with weakened immune systems. A member of the herpes virus family that remains in the body for life, the virus infects epithelial cells in the throat and immune cells called B cells.
    The researchers discovered that the virus triggers molecular events that turn off key proteins, making infected cells invisible to the natural killer T (NKT) immune cells that seek and destroy EBV-infected cells.
    "If you can force these invisible proteins to be expressed, then you can render infected cells visible to NKT cells, and defeat the virus. This could be key to making a vaccine that would provide immunity from ever being infected with EBV," says Dr. Rusung Tan, the study's principal investigator. Dr. Tan is a scientist and director of the Immunity in Health & Disease research group at the Child & Family Research Institute at BC Children's Hospital, and a professor in the Department of Pathology at the University of British Columbia.
    The findings were published this week in the print edition of the scientific journal Blood.
    For this study, the researchers looked at cells from infected tonsils that had been removed from patients at BC Children's Hospital by Dr. Frederick Kozak. The researchers infected the tonsillar B cells with EBV, and then combined some of these cells with NKT cells. They found that more NKT cells led to fewer EBV-infected cells, while an absence of NKT cells was associated with an increase in EBV-infected cells.

Sparrowhawk, Iquitos, rosie26 and 4 others like this.
  2. PDXhausted

PDXhausted Senior Member

NW US
    Yes-- this is a big deal. Was just discussing this with my husband who is a lymphoma/leukemia doc. In the study they use AM580, a synthetic retinoic acid receptor-alpha agonist to induce CD1d expression and cell mediated death of EBV infected cells via NK/T cell recognition. There is a synthetic drug called ATRA that is used to treat certain leukemias with retinoic acid receptor over expression due to genetic translocation t(15;17). Has anyone ever used this?

I also wonder how similar accutane is to these? I also wonder--- if NK cells are already low in quantity or function, how effective would it be for them to recognize EBV anyway?

3. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

What you said is super interesting. I didn't know about ATRA. Regarding the NK cells it is my pure guess, that even if numbers are low, as soon as they can recognize infected cells, the situation should improve in the long run.

4. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    Thanks for finding and posting this, definitely worth tracking.

Soundthealarm21 likes this.
  5. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    I am not able to properly consider this - and can't gain access to the research article - in light of recent findings relating to EBV etc.

Press Release:
    I think that, for me, this is less about the possible development of a vaccine and more about how EBV might fool the immune system.

There has been a lot said about EBV and ME. I'm really not sure what the implications of this might be - there could be none. Need to read the research I think...

Valentijn likes this.
  6. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Simon et al. what sayeth you chaps? :)

7. PDXhausted

PDXhausted Senior Member

NW US
  8. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    Threads have been merged. :)

Firestormm likes this.
  9. Soundthealarm21

Soundthealarm21 Senior Member

Dallas, TX
    It seems like this could turn into a huge breakthrough if I'm reading into it correctly! Finding out what is causing the problem is the first step and that seems to have been found. Now it's creating the solution.

Waverunner likes this.
  10. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    More on retinoid based therapies for EBV infected B cells in this article (which can be found in the appropriate location).

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/content/122/15/2600.abstract

Iquitos, Sparrowhawk and PDXhausted like this.

See more popular forum discussions.