1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Low Folate Symptoms/Paradoxical Folate Deficiency

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by arx, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Thanks, Valentijn.
    Well, that's surprising to me based on my reaction when I added folinic acid to my regimen, but I made a lot of changes at once, so perhaps I need to isolate the change and try again. Hmmm, how would it complicate things for an MTHFR C677T mutation then, I wonder? If it's not depriving it of substrate, (which would affect more than C677T people), what could it be doing?

Thanks. That was a good one, but that wasn't it. Maybe I confused or conflated something.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    No idea, and I don't think the papers I saw really speculated about it - or I just wasn't interested in the "why" so skimmed over it :rolleyes:
  3. aaron_c

aaron_c

@adreno

I know this is an old thread, but...

Somewhere on the forums I came across this article. It indicates that B2 is a cofactor for MTHFR, and that the C677T mutation causes B2 to bind poorly. Meaning that maybe the extra B2 helped you make more 5-MTHF, allowing you to get out of the--I think this was the "donut hole?"

And since it's been so long, how are you doing with the methylcobalamin and all that? And how much did you take of mB12 and B2?

Thanks!
    brenda likes this.
  4. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Actually, at this point I take only a B complex (Thorne) and 800mcg methylfolate. That's it. I am doing okay, and I don't seem to feel better on the higher doses.
  5. aaron_c

aaron_c

@adreno
    When you ramped up the B12, what symptoms did extra B2 (and potassium and zinc, if you took them all together) alleviate?
  6. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Methylb12 gives me worsening insomnia but b2 helps. All b vitamins use up b2. Sorry no time to give evidence. You could look up the l love b2 thread.
  7. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    I basically felt like shite. I also had angular chelitis at some point.

See more popular forum discussions.