1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Interesting COMT Variations

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Valentijn, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Instead of "risk", as used thus far in other methylation lists, I'm marking the slower versions. The reason for this is because slow and fast COMT genes each have different medical risks, but for the purposes of methylation, it's the slow versions which can make things trickier, as the slow versions may result in reduced tolerance of methyl groups in supplements.

"Implied" slow alleles are based on studies where novelty seeking is associated the other allele, as novelty seeking has been associated with up-regulation. I'm not as confident in those sorts of studies, as they're basically making a lot of assumptions based on questionnaires and interpretations of behavior. Two haplotypes are listed at the end. These are only relevant when all of the alleles are present.

SNP names are underlined, bolded, and orange when they indicate a missense mutations. Rare missense mutations lacking research have a "?" after the rare allele, as it's not known if that rare allele is a down-regulation or an up-regulation.

rsID.........NAME....SLOWER...ETC
    rs737866.....T689C...C.......Implied
    rs737865.....A701G...G
    rs4646312....T385C...T.......Implied
    rs165722.....C201T...C.......Implied
    rs6269.......A98G....A
    rs6270.......C34S....C?
    rs4633.......H62H....TT
    rs6267.......A72S....T
    rs13306281...V92M....A?
    rs61910731...V100L...T?
    rs5031015....A102T...A?
    rs4986871....A146V...T?
    rs4680.......V158M...AA.....1/3 activity
    rs13306279...P199L...T?
    rs174696.....C1354T..C.......Implied
    rs9332377....C367T...T
    rs165599.....G522A...G

Haplotype I (only relevant when all of these versions are present):
    rs4646316....C310T...C
    rs9332377....C367T...T

Haplotype II (58-fold reduction in function when all of these versions are present):
    rs6269.......A98G....A
    rs4633.......H62H....C
    rs4646312....T385C...T......See Note
    rs4680.......V158M...G

Note: rs4646312 in Haplotype II is reported with the more common allele of rs4818 as the risk factor. 23andMe doesn't contain that SNP, but rs4646312 has identical and nearly identical prevalence rates in the various groups genotyped, hence is likely usually inherited in a "chunk" with rs4818. So the results of rs4646312 will usually be applicable, but might not be in some cases.
    NilaJones and Critterina like this.
  2. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    So what is COMT and why is it worth discussing in the context of methylation?

Basically it's involved in the breakdown of some neurotransmitters, and when those neurotransmitters break down, they use a methyl group in the process. Thus someone with faster COMT will use up more methyl groups and have a greater tolerance for supplements involving methyl groups, such as methylfolate and methylB12.

Conversely, someone with slower COMT won't be using up methyl groups as quickly, and might need to be careful about adding too many into the mix via supplementation.

PS - I really hate this gene. It's one huge mess, with a ton of research to sort though. And too much of it reminds me of the "this personality type is associated with developing CFS" BS :mad:
  3. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    Are you sure of the alleles for haplotype 2 Valentijn? Rs4633 is listed with T as the slower version in the top list but with C as the version for the haplotype.
  4. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Yup. A lot of things change quite a bit in haplotypes.
    Sea likes this.
  5. So I have :
    rs4680.......V158M...AA.....1/3 activity

Do I lose 1/3 activity or only have 1/3 activity. Is this why I appear to be tolerating methyl groups?

I also have H62H TT

thanks
  6. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Valentijn,

I really like all the work you do and post like this. I saw the rare MTHFR and this one. Have I missed any?

I tolerate methyl groups very well, so no surprise that my only result was

COMT...rs165722.....C201T...C.......Implied +/+

Thank you!
  7. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    AA has one-third of the activity as the other homozygous genotype for the SNP. So it's running at 33%. But that's not necessarily saying that AA is "too slow", just that it's slower than than the other version, which might just as easily be considered "too fast".

H62H probably has less of an impact than V158M, since H62H isn't a missense or other mutation resulting in a change in the structure of the gene.

There's probably a lot of factors that go into tolerating methyl groups, and frankly I haven't see any proof that slower COMT results in less tolerance of methyl groups - but I also haven't looked, and it does make some sense in theory at least.
  8. Hey!
    What did you use that reported the above? Just intrigued. rs165722 TT is listed in my 23andme full genome list, but then not reported from livewello - just wondered if I'm missing anymore (although struggling to keep up with the ones that I have!)
  9. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2724734/ , specifically Table 6.
  10. Creekee

Creekee Senior Member

Arizona
    Thanks for all the info, Valentijn! I am a bit COMT confused here. Genetic Genie says:

COMT V158M AA +/+
    COMT H62H TT +/+
    COMT P199P AG +/-

Started a methylation protocol for the first time in early March. Ever-tweaking, but so far unable to trigger any over-methylation.

I do have +/+ VDR Taq. Maybe that's compensating some?

Really appreciate all the research you're sharing. So interesting!
  11. musicchick581

musicchick581 Senior Member

In haplotype 2, I have all of those but I have heterozygous risk alleles, ex.

rs4680, you say G is a slower COMT, well I have AG. I have that pattern for all of those under haplotype 2. Does this mean I don't have the 58 fold reduction? Do they have to be homozygous?
  12. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    No idea ... the research never specifies that when they're looking at haplotypes.
  13. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I thought I'd put the following link here rather then starting a new COMT thread . I just come across the following and thought it may be of interest to some who have COMT mutations http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical and Interpretive/83301 (sorry if this is already here somewhere).

For those who dont know terms.. the term "wild type" is refering to anyone who doesnt have a mutation.

All the below info is out of the link I put before.

COMT Allele
    Amino Acid Change
    Effect on Enzyme Activity/Metabolism

None (wild-type)
    Normal/Extensive
    Val108/158Met
    Reduced/Poor
    Ala52/102Thr
    Reduced/Intermediate

Drugs that undergo metabolism by COMT:

-Alpha-methyl DOPA
    -Apomorphine
    -Benserazide
    -Bitolterol
    -Dihydroxyphenylserine
    -Dobutamine
    -Dopamine
    -Epinephrine
    -2-Hydroxyestrogens
    -4-Hydroxyestogens
    -Isoetherine
    -Isoprenaline
    -Isoproterenal
    -Norepinephrine
    -Rimiterol

Coadministration may decrease the rate of elimination of other drugs metabolized by COMT.

Drugs that undergo structural modification but are not metabolized by COMT:

-Albuterol
    -Metaproterenol
    -Methoxamine
    -Phenylephrine
    -Perbuterol
    -Terbutaline

Coadministration will not decrease the rate of elimination metabolism of other drugs metabolized by COMT.

Drugs known to inhibit COMT activity:

-Entacapone
    -Tolcapone
    -Nitecapone

Dietary Components that inhibit COMT activity:

-Quercetin
    -Tea catechins

Coadministration will decrease the rate of metabolism of COMT metabolized drugs, increasing the possibility of toxicity, including in heterozygous individuals.
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.