The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Liver and The Deadlock Quartet

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by mgk, Jan 28, 2015.

1. mgk

mgk Senior Member

I was reading through the Deadlock Quartet Symptom List and came across this interesting anecdote by @Freddd:
    In my own journey to regaining health, I'd read several books about chronic conditions, health, and diet. One of them recommended bone broth, liver, and eggs as supplemental foods, and I had experimented with adding them to my diet. My experience with liver is memorable because it made me feel really well at first, but then I felt like I had gotten food poisoning the next few days and I haven't had the guts to try it since. In retrospect, I think I was experiencing folate deficiency symptoms.

Once the food poisoning-like symptoms had gone away, I was left feeling worse than before I tried the liver, and I kept trying to figure out why. That eventually led me here, and I keep discovering new things, and feeling better every day. I'm really grateful to all of you for posting your stories and sharing your knowledge.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  2. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    How long were you eating the liver before you felt like you got food poisoning? Did you include vegies? I have always been interested in trying to obtain b-12 this way (liver) rather than supplements. My scale is just too easily tipped . If I do decide to include liver in my diet it will only be organic from grass fed cows or perhaps bison (if possible) and I won't be eating it every day. I wonder how they extracted all the good stuff from the liver? What was the method? I remember reading about an old recipe that described beef juice as medicine. Take a good piece of steak, put in a jar and place in boiling water.........only drink the juice..........or rather sip the juice throughout the day.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  3. mgk

mgk Senior Member

Actually, I just checked my journal and it looks like I tried it twice (each a week apart).

The first time it made me feel better than I had in a long time. I remember walking around one of my favorite parks, something I hadn't done in a while.

The second time is when I got the food-poisoning symptoms. After I ate it, I felt good for the rest of the day, like I had the prior week. But I woke up in the middle of the night with abdominal pain and had to use the bathroom. After that, the abdominal pain continued and I couldn't tolerate most things for the next 3 days. During that time I survived on boiled potatoes, boiled chicken, and rice.

Yes, but not a lot. I would fry the liver (cut to small pieces) in butter with onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Then eat it with some tomatoes, cucumbers, roasted potatoes, and wilted spinach on the side.

I don't know, but I'm guessing it's similar to the process used to make those desiccated liver supplements (dehydration and grinding). Maybe @Freddd can speak to this?

4. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    I remember what my grandmother and her cook went through each day. They started a new pot of liver cut up into pieces and simmered. Then they blenderized it. Then squeezed all the juices out. Then simmered it more in fresh water and ground it even finer and squeezed all the juices out with a jelly bag, over and over. The other pot was just simmering the juices down. Eventually all that was left was sort of translucent cell and tissue debris and fat and all the connective tissue. The juices were like thick meat gravy. They started with 5 pounds of liver each day Then all the usual stuff for stew was added. He ate a dish of this at every meal, and it was most of what he ate, for 30 years. The "pernicious anemia" fear factor diet was 2 liters of raw pureed liver at that time.

I took 100 desiccated liver tablets every day for 2 years. It took 6 months to "turn the lights on" and they always turned off with the next illness, usually a month or two. With the Enzymatic Therapy MeCbl it took 15 minutes with the first tablet sublingual to "turn the lights on", they have never gone off in nearly 12 years and except for a minor cold or two I haven't been sick in nearly 12 years.

Bessie and mgk like this.
  5. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    @Freddd .............Did you take anything else pertaining to the deadlock quartet when you were taking the dessicated liver tablets? Amazing story by the way about your grandfather with ALS living that long. My Dad had ALS and lasted only two years.............sorry off topic. Have you ever thought about posting grandfather's recipe in an ALS support sight?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  6. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    HI Tammy,

I have posted it to an ALS board along with the Deadlock Quartet info. At the time I did the desiccated liver trial, 1979-1981, I was taking all the basics including a b-complex with folic acid and CyCbl, and including an early high gamma E and lecithin. I don't think the Salmon Oil was available yet but if it was I was taking it. I've had a clue in the CblC disease reading I did saying that something about the genetic effects made the descending motor neurons especially vulnerable to damage.

Tammy likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.