1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Did You Have Yourself a Crashy Little Christmas?
Jody Smith may have dodged a holiday bullet this year. She's hoping. Only time will tell. How did you fare?
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is cyano B12 better than nothing?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by anniekim, Apr 22, 2012.

1. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    I'm using a mineral spray which The Uk doc Dr M (lives in wales) makes. I like it but the only problem is the B12 is cyano b12

Even though I know hydro or methyl would be better, is cyano b12 better than nothing?

Would it be possible to take the mineral spray, including the cyano b12, and then hydroxy b12 on top, or would it be too much? The cyano b12 in the mineral spray is quite high, 5000mcg

Many thanks

2. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Russell Island, Australia
    Not really. If you have methylation issues, cyanob12 will do pretty much nothing at all.

Cyanob12 combined with methylfolate **MIGHT** help if you body is effectively converting the cyanob12 to it's active forms, otherwise even that won't do much.

3. daisychain

daisychain

It's worse than nothing according to what I've heard, because of the cyanide molecule causing problems for people with methylation issues.

4. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Thanks for these replied. Yes, I've heard the cyano molecule could be a problem. However, if it isn't, am I right in understanding that if my body is not really using it I could take hydroxy b12 on top of it? The problem is I like the mineral spray apart from the b12. The dr's office said they included cyano b12 to keep the price down. I would have preferred to have paid a bit more and got the methyl or hydro b12

5. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, anniekim.

The problem with cyanocobalamin at high dosages is that your body has to dispose of the cyanide. It has four mechanisms for doing that. One is to bind it to hydroxocobalamin, if there is enough available. Another is to react it with thiosulfate to make thiocyanate, if there is enough thiosulfate available. There are other reactions with pyruvate and alpha ketoglutarate.

I have encountered one case in which all four mechanisms could not function because of deficiencies. The person became very ill from cyanide poisoning and was getting worse. I advised him and his physician to stop the cyanocobalamin, take hydroxocobalamin, and apply oxygen by mask. This pulled him out of it. I am not a fan of using high-dose cyanocobalamin in ME/CFS. I will write to Dr. M. about this.

Best regards,

Rich

Sallysblooms likes this.
  6. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Thanks Rich, if you could write to Dr M about this it would be great. I'd love dr m to change the b12 in the mineral spray into the methyl or hydro form :)

7. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, anniekim.

I did it.

Best regards,

Rich

8. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Big thank you. Hope she follows your advice :)

9. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, anniekim.

I think she is going to change to another product that costs a little more, but doesn't have the cyanoB12 in it. She appreciated the "heads-up." Thanks for raising this issue.

Best regards,

Rich

See more popular forum discussions.