The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Increasing SOD?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by joe12, Aug 17, 2015.

1. joe12

joe12 Senior Member

Could this be true? To me it sounds too good to be true, but its supposedly backed by studies, although many funded by the supplement makers. http://www.lifeextensionvitamins.com/suoxdispopra.html

Anyone has used this or other supplements or methods to increase SOD or other anti-oxidative molecules?

Violeta likes this.
  2. searcher

searcher

SF Bay Area
    I am using sodzyme and it definitely helps my energy-- it seems to clear my head inflammation for half a day. I had one friend who noticed a big difference and one who didn't notice anything.

merylg likes this.
  3. joe12

joe12 Senior Member

Sounds good. Do you know of alternatives? Is it better to just eat cantaloupes? How many of these are required to deliver the benefits of a bottle of Sodzyme?

4. searcher

searcher

SF Bay Area
    I know of a few alternatives. A few people I know are doing well with Seeking Health's product which doesn't have any gliadin in it-- http://www.seekinghealth.com/sod-60-vegetarian-capsules-seeking-health.html

I think it would take a huge number of cantaloupes to get a sufficient amount of SOD and it may not make it past the digestive system. I'm not sure though.

I am using glisodin too; it has gliadin and, although I am usually gluten-free, I figure I might as well take advantage of having a compromised gut and use the product that has been most studied.

joe12 likes this.
  5. joe12

joe12 Senior Member

So you are using this product http://www.amazon.com/Life-Extensio...e=UTF8&qid=1439874638&sr=8-1&keywords=sodzyme

Are you using any other products that target other anti-oxitative molecules? I myself am interested in increasing the Nrf2 transcription factor as well as increasing some growth factors for cellular repair. I am trying to figure a treatment that would likely get rid of my daily persistent headache, which is likely due to an inflammatory reaction, not necessarily autoimmune, but likely linked to activation and degeneration due to excessive oxidative stress or lack of neutralization. Evidence for this is my accelerated vitreous syneresis or liquefaction of the gel inside the eyes, and some good results I had with Nimodipine, a medication that blocks CGRP and TNFa in animal studies. Another piece of evidence is my overreaction to common viral infections, where I feel their effects within minutes of infection and get very long periods of strong symptoms. This is likely due to the acute inflammatory responses building on the already present chronic inflammation.

6. searcher

searcher

SF Bay Area
    joe12 likes this.
  7. joe12

joe12 Senior Member

I believe the best way to increase glutathione is to increase its related transcription factor, which is mainly Nrf2.

"The glutathione S-transferase (GST) family includes cytosolic, mitochondrial, and microsomal enzymes that catalyze the conjugation of GSH with endogenous and xenobiotic electrophiles. After detoxification by GSH conjugation catalyzed by GSTs, the body can eliminate potentially harmful and toxic compounds. GSTs are induced by Nrf2 activation and represent an important route of detoxification." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFE2L2

8. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    I've just ordered this product after reading in another thread that SOD is best absorbed in food products, rather than isolated. I've been on the antioxidant trail this past year, using resveratrol (knotweed), astaxanthine, green and olive leaf tea, carrots and mixed nuts/seeds. My body seems to prefer food forms. I've also ordered antioxidants bilberry and acai.

Some bits of info.
    http://www.ganoderma-for-health.com/superoxide-dismutase.html
    http://www.sirtuins.info/resveratrol.html

adreno, Plum and joe12 like this.
  9. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Interesting to see this thread! I just started this product today:
    http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-glisodin-300-mg-60-caps

It has glisodin, as well as catalase. I primarily picked this product because of the catalase, which is supposed to help with PEM, and then am hoping to increase SOD as well. I just took my first one today.

@joe12, @searcher, @ahmo - Does anyone know if this is best taken with or without food?

And also, what is a good dose to take? The bottle says to take 1 to 2 caps a day.

joe12 likes this.
  10. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

[​IMG]

xena and Mary like this.
  11. joe12

joe12 Senior Member

That's an interesting product. I wonder if the Triticum vulgare and the Cucumis melo adds to the biolavailability of the SOD in addition to the gliadin. Do you know about this?

Also, does this particular catalase formulation survive the stomach acids and intestinal track to be able to pass to serum? What about its ability to cross cellular membranes? That's where these enzymes are most needed, if they stay outside cells, then its likely not to have a big difference, so I wonder if the SOD also crosses membranes.

The difficulties in integrating molecules into cells and tissues is the reason I am more interested in gene expression activation or inhibition, thou this might be more complicated and not always work depending on your individual genetic makeup for the molecules you need. On the other hand, good supplements engineered to get exactly where they are needed might be a good choice, but this is not always the case, specially with most proteins and enzymes, they just tend not to survive ingestion or are able to cross cellular membranes. On top of this is the additional blood/brain barrier, where I and a lot of us have most of our problems. In my case I need to get things to work in my brain, so they can get to the trigeminal, ophthalmic, and nasal areas, although I am not entirely sure if these areas are also covered by the blood/brain barrier.

12. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    @joe12 - I'm afraid I don't have the answer to any of your question - all I know is that I read glisodin is supposed to be a good form of SOD and that catalase is supposed to help prevent PEM. But in terms of absorption and efficacy, etc., I have no idea if this product is effective - have to be a guinea pig!

Violeta and joe12 like this.
  13. joe12

joe12 Senior Member

That is very true for me too, I guess I will also have to be a guinea pig. I hope to be able to find some more details thou, or maybe somebody will answer this here for us. These are very important enzymes for getting healthier, probably with a whole lot of conditions, so I feel getting it right is key and of most importance in healing chronic disease.

Mary likes this.
  14. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

There is something specifically designed to cross BBB. Whether it helps with your particulars is another question. I'm no longer needing this on a daily basis, but when I did, I found it excellent. I was able to stop several other supps I was taking at the time, including hypothalamus glandular, maybe also pituitary glandular. It's Neuroprotek, formulated by mast cell and autism expert, Dr. T. Theoharides. It's relatively expensive, but he's a pharmacologist and designed this drug to get into the brain, to calm the histamine cascade in hippocampus.

‘Brain Allergy’ and ASD - T. Theoharides, MD, PhD‬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9QbZp3WcC1Q

Neuroprotek http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pNQsK9PQL3c

15. Sherpa

Sherpa Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie

USA
  16. joe12

joe12 Senior Member

I don't think that one is bound to gliadin, which means it won't survive stomach acids, or is it? What about catalase, I am not interested in finding a catalase that gets into plasma. Do you know if catalase and SOD are lipid membrane permeable?

17. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

I've just started this one, same ingredients as the one @Sherpa listed. I can't compare them, as one's listed in IU, the other in mg.

18. Sherpa

USA
    @joe12 the Seeking Health product is very potent. It works :) I can only take 1/2 capsule.

19. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

What happens if you take more?

20. Sherpa

USA
    @sideral I get a wee bit overstimulated. Half feels perfect. The manufacturer of the Extramel SOD it contains recommends a daily dose of 140 I.u. Seeking Health's has 300 I.U.

See more popular forum discussions.