1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

IDENTIFICATION OF A NOVEL RETROVIRUS IN PATIENTS WITH BPH

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by natasa778, Jul 29, 2012.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Not sure if this has already been posted (or has its own thread?)

IDENTIFICATION OF A NOVEL RETROVIRUS IN PATIENTS WITH BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIA
    Inventors:
    O'keefe, Denise S. (Wexford, PA, US)
    Application Number:
    13/282888
    Publication Date:
    05/03/2012
    Filing Date:
    10/27/2011
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2012/0107338.html

2. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    more interesting bits:

3. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK

4. currer

currer Senior Member

Thanks for posting this Nastasia. No Ive not seen this before. Paprotka and "XMRV" will not account for this.

So this is a patent. But why has not O'Keefe published a paper on her research?

maybe no-one will publish it. Or maybe if you know you will find your paper undergoing a forced "retraction" you dont bother publishing.

5. Bob

Bob

South of England
    But we have already read something about O'Keefe's research into BPH haven't we Currer? We did know that she has detected a retrovirus in BPH. I can't remember what we read though.

6. Bob

Bob

South of England
  7. currer

currer Senior Member

Yes. This is ME in action isn't it! I used to have a completely reliable memory - for detail especially.

Now if I need to recall something it's often just a blur. It does not seem progressive though (or am I just reassuring myself)
    I cant remember anything about my posting about this patent before. I may have missed some of this story - I have been busier lately. I have checked the links you put up and some I have read before, and some not - like this excellent one from asleep -

"I feel like O'Keefe has broken this thing wide open. The VP62 creation story was always a tricky ploy that required prevention of new, sufficiently divergent sequences from surfacing, which O'Keefe seems to now have provided. She has rendered Coffin's immaculate recombination moot. All that story telling, down the drain.

The timing is good too, as the Lipkin study will look foolish if it doesn't take this new information into account.

It would be interesting to find out if the primers used in all the 0/0 studies would have picked up these new ENV ang GAG sequences that O'Keefe found"

Enid likes this.
  8. currer

currer Senior Member

I have re-read all the posts Bob put up. I can see I posted a lot about it. I cant remember doing any of it - I think I'll go and have a lie down!

9. currer

currer Senior Member

Identification of a novel retrovirus in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)

"However we identified what appears to be increased expression of genes related to an antiviral response. Given the recent findings of a novel virus, XMRV, found in some prostate tumors, we analyzed the BPH affected tissue for viral infection. We found that the majority of tissue from symptomatic BPH patients contained low levels of a virus not previously found in humans. Sequencing confirmed that the virus consists of 2 variants, is not XMRV, and likely produces a protein that has been related to inflammation in other species. Interestingly, the exact virus sequence differs among patients, suggesting that upon infection of the tissue, the virus undergoes replication. Furthermore, sequencing revealed that the virus is likely transcriptionally regulated by androgens, which is consistent with the fact that cell growth in BPH is androgen-dependent and the classic non surgical treatment for BPH is inhibition of DHT (an androgen) production. Both variants of the virus have submitted to the USPTO as a provisional patent, as they may be a therapeutic target for this disease."

http://www.upmc.com/Services/urology/experts/research-faculty/Pages/denise-s-okeefe.aspx

10. Bob

Bob

South of England
    If it's any consolation for you Currer (it probably isn't), I was exactly the same with the Hanson paper yesterday...
    I couldn't remember if Hanson had published her paper, and then I discovered that, not only had I posted frequently all the way through the Hanson paper thread, but I had analysed the results in detail!
    :eek: :confused: o_O :( :ill:

currer likes this.
  11. Bob

Bob

South of England
  12. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

I think that is itself diagnostic for cognitive deficits. The need for the lie down to think clearly is almost pathognomonic.

I've just checked again to see if O'Keefe's BPH research has been published. It has not. While searching I found some interesting work on epigenetic control in prostate cancer. Keep this in mind when you read about genes affected by retroviruses.

currer likes this.
  13. currer

currer Senior Member

I've had my lie down now.

Yes, anciendaze you are right. Having to lie down and rest so that you can think - that is characteristic of this disorder.
    I wonder why it works?

But to get back to the discussion - does anyone think that Lipkin will take the O'Keefe sequences on board?
    Saying there is nothing - when these variants have been found - would look very suspicious - like deliberately looking in the wrong place.

Or do you think - they are separating prostate cancer from "CFS" and will pursue retroviral research in PC but not in us?

14. currer

currer Senior Member

15. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Lipkin isn't actually doing any research of his own in the XMRV study.
    It's up to Mikovits and the other researchers to use whatever methodology and primers they want to use.
    Lipkin's results won't be the final word on HGRV's in ME patients, although I imagine that many will see it that way, and a negative result will mean that much of the research funding dries up.

Lipkin's CFI pathogen study (his next big ME study) will use next generation sequencing, and so if there are any HGRVs present in the investigated tissues, then they should show up, in theory.

There haven't been any more positive prostate cancer studies, than there have been positive ME studies (if we include the Hanson study as a positive study). It's just that ME has got much more attention because of the WPI and Mikovits. I don't know if there might be more retrovirology research into prostate than ME in the future, but any potential positive results in prostate cancer research will be transferable to other areas of HGRV research.

currer likes this.
  16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Currer, the memory issues are so typical. I frequently read posts I have written but don't recall. Its very disconcerting, but entirley expected with ME. Bye, Alex

currer likes this.
  17. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

One study by Singh used FISH (Fluorescence In-Situ Hybrization) to find prostate cancer (PC) cells with characteristic epitopes. It would not likely be affected by nucleic acid contamination. It was finding some kind of marker associated with PC. Anyone heard of a follow-up, or has all productive research on PC been shut down? The Stieler/Fisher paper seemed satisfied with moving a great deal of PC research back to square one.

currer likes this.
  18. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Noosaville, Aust
    Is this a prostate cancer study? As far as I know, and certainly in my case, I have all the symptoms of BPH, 50% of males will eventually be diagnosed with BPH over the age of "old". I see this as a me/cfs study. O'Keefe certainly thinks the pathology fits me/cfs. Perhaps this is the real link between one type of prostate cancer and me/cfs.

19. Bob

Bob

South of England
    No, I should have said 'any' prostate research.

20. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Currer, I think that you were right to post this again. As Bob pointed out some people had even forgotten that Hanson had published a paper. It's hard to keep up with what is important as things develop.

The Hanson paper, the O'Keefe discussion on her blog and the work she is doing herself on XMRV shouldn't be forgotten.

Bob, justy and currer like this.

See more popular forum discussions.