• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Dose Vitamin C IV

pamojja

So adding bicarbonate of soda reduces acidity?!

Up to the same amount by weight of ascorbic acid and sodium bicarbonate added in water will turn it under sizzling into sodium ascorbate with a neutral ph (of course depending of the ph of the water too). More bicarbonate would make it accordingly more base.

ljimbo423

I am really interested to understand what is actually happening when I take high doses of Vitamin C (40g a day), and going from stiff, fatigued and heavy in the morning to energised, restless and feeling balanced (Not dizzy like usual). Equally after exertion, not experiencing the usual PEM. Is it that it is working on an Antiviral level?, Antibiotic? Anti-inflammatory? Disrupting Glutamate production? Or all of these and more?

I think oxidative stress is the biggest driver of cfs. Weather it's from immune activation/dysfunction, toxins, heavy metals etc. So it makes sense to me that VERY high doses of vitamin c could make you feel better.

Oxidative stress causes a lot of inflammation, so that might be one thing that is causing your improvement. I hope it continues to work for you!

student

A more sophisticated Vit C is helpfull... Let me (1) link to this http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/flush-of-vit-c-a-come-back.52194/#post-863446
Yes the powder is called 'buffered' vit C. Oral is a pretty good uptake. Realy no intravenous injection in lower quallity is wanted / or needed (to my understanding). A regular equal level oral intake might be eaven better.
The use is more (a) in this regular high daily intake. Plus knowing the personal need by (b) 'flushing' towards this personal maximum Vitamin C intake. Lets say every week. (later every Month).

Keto- (2) with a diet that brings in Ketosis - there is hoped to be a good salt (several gr per day) consumption. And the need for Ant-oxidant intake may in the long run be (lower/ or) diffrent.

MaximilianKohler

I did this orally and it made my fatigue much worse. Even took it with salt, which is helpful for me. My fatigue is associated with softer BMs though and this softened my BMs.

ebethc

I made liposomal vitamin C using the jewelry cleaner a few years ago, and it tasted horrible. I can eat almost anything but this was like burnt rubber. It was very hard to get down. However, I then came across a description of making it using an immersion blender. It was much simpler and much quicker to make, and still was a very good product. It tasted very sour of course but that was no problem. Here's a thread I did on this with links to making your own, and how to determine if it is truly liposomal: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/easy-to-make-liposomal-vitamin-c-for-viruses.38867/

did you feel like the liposomal vit c was much better absorbed?

I tried these packets from amzn of lipo vit c, but didn't notice that they were helpful... Not the best test, though...Most vit c is corn derived, and not great for me.. plus, the homemade lipo is supposed to be better...so, not sure I gave it the best shot... I take the non-corn vitamin c capsules from ecological formulas

Mary

Moderator Resource
did you feel like the liposomal vit c was much better absorbed?

I tried these packets from amzn of lipo vit c, but didn't notice that they were helpful... Not the best test, though...Most vit c is corn derived, and not great for me.. plus, the homemade lipo is supposed to be better...so, not sure I gave it the best shot... I take the non-corn vitamin c capsules from ecological formulas

Maybe a little better absorbed. Though I've stopped making it, one less thing to have to spend my energy on. I've been taking Now Foods vitamin C with bioflavonoids and seem to do well with that.

The commercial lipo C is so expensive, I couldn't afford to take enough of it.

Husband of

Through lack of national health service support or functional treatment for CFS, I have become a bit of a 'Biohacker', trying many things to improve my health. Most recently I have been using High doses of Vitamin C orally to greatly improve my condition, I presume it is calming inflammation around the body and brain and generally it cuts through malaise and can have me feeling fairly normal for atleast an afternoon. But the quantity to do this is around 40-50g (40-50 homemade capsules!), it's not overly expensive but time consuming putting these together and slightly radical as despite there being no ill effects other than diarrhoea if not timed properly, I do have a slight concern that there could be a negative effect of all this.

Anyhow, since I crave the feeling of High dose C almost like an addiction, I have been looking into the costs of getting a high dose IV as many leading health professionals and rogue alt-health doctors discuss. I just wonder if it could be the big positive shock to the immune system that would flick a switch back into normal immune function. Has anyone tried this or does anyone have any thoughts?
Hi Chris, Mary, et Al, was wondering if you are still taking high dose vitamin c?

my wife has been taking at least 4g daily (yes nothing like 40) dr Mercola liposomal vitamin c for a while now, can't remember how long but probably more than six months. This has coincided with improvement, significant enough to go from more bad in her life to more good, ie life is worth living, but she is still mostly housebound.

just wanting to reasses this - to reduce the dose in case of long term side effects, or to continue or increase dose. So interested in your and others experiences - have you taken it long term and have there been side effects, and how much improvement have you attributed to it?

thanks

I saw this thread on high dose vitamin C. I take 4 grams (Vit C salts as other forms I have tried cause stomach issues at high dosages). I used to take 7 days/wk, but now I take only 3 days/wk. I have also had Vit C infusions (max 75 grams). I did several months of IV infusions starting back in Nov 2017. I was beginning to relapse after returning to grad school, so my doctor advised infusions to see if they would help. I had only vitamins (e.g., alpha lipoic acid, vitamin C, glutathione, magnesium, riboflavin, etc.) & ozone. I did not have an easy time. I struggled with severe Herx reactions (worst being 105 fever when I started with a very low dose of 100% alpha lipoic acid). Eventually, I reached max doses of everything (and no longer responded negatively), so I stopped. Now I have infusions only occasionally. My last infusion was 12+ months ago. My program at this point is ~30 supplements a day, so Vitamin C is only a very SMALL piece of the puzzle.

pamojja

was wondering if you are still taking high dose vitamin c?

In average now 25 gram of ascorbic acid each day for 14 years.

my wife has been taking at least 4g daily (yes nothing like 40) dr Mercola liposomal vitamin c for a while now, can't remember how long but probably more than six months. This has coincided with improvement,

Since my last posts in this thread, Dr. Levy,who promotes liposomal vitamin C from LivonLabs, made the first study comparing 5g sodium ascorbate to liposomal (which is always sodium ascorbate too, not ascorbic acid). The findings: Serum levels increased equally, intracellular about 50% more.

Considering how inexpensive pure ascorbic acid is, compared to liposomal, the same effect could be accomplished by just taking 50% more of cheap ascorbic acid.

how much improvement have you attributed to it?

The remission from a walking-disability from PAD, COPD and remaining ME/CFS symptoms (constant PEMs). Though I of course use comprehensive supplementation and lifestyle changes, the high dose ascorbic acid is the most distinct individual element of all my interventions.

Once I was waterfasting for a week. The walking-pain was right back, and continued the waterfastiing by adding ascorbic acid only.

have there been side effects,

None.

to reduce the dose in case of long term side effects, or to continue or increase dose.

Short term effects can be bloating flatulence with high enough doses, which are individually different for everyone. If one doses over one's daily bowel tolerance (for me ~50 gram/day) a single diarhea episode is a normal effect, some even use this for detoxing.