• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you struggle with post-exertional malaise? How do you deal with it?

Mary

Moderator Resource
i crash very often,physically and mentally,how do you cope, do you guys take any medication?

Do find your limits and try to stay within them, which of course is not always possible, but try anyways.

I have found that branched chain amino acids boosted my energy a little, plus cut my recovery time in half when I do crash. So they haven't expanded my activity window - I'm still limited to about 3-1/2 to 4 hours of light activity (with lots of rests) if I don't want to crash the next day, but when I do crash, the BCAAs have cut my recovery time in half to about 1 day. It used to be 3 or 4 days some years ago, then I got better at gauging my activity abilities plus started taking supplements that helped my functioning, and then the BCAAs. If I seriously overdo it, recovery takes longer. But I love the BCAAs - I take them daily.

overtheedge

D Ribose and creatine helps taken 5g once a day but is pricey. Up the D Ribose to 15g/day for even better effects, but much more pricey.
Try to avoid PEM by not doing enough to invoke it, i suspect its repeated PEM ratcheting down our energy production that causes us to get worse. This is only a theory of course.
Have you looked into buying ribose in bulk? It can be a lot cheaper that way if you think it is something you're gonna be using a while

Mithriel

Now I have thought about it, the biggest help I have had with PEM is aids to stop me using too much energy. From big things like a stairlift, to little things like a cup with 2 handles or a stool in the kitchen they can make a difference.

You can ask to be assessed by an occupational therapist or just look at some online catalogues. Crutches, rollators and wheelchairs are all just tools. Everyone uses a car because a journey is too far to walk so a wheelchair is no different.

Another tip is to use the biggest muscle you can for a job, like lifting with your full arm rather than your wrists. it is another way of thinking about things.

HowToEscape?

Do find your limits and try to stay within them, which of course is not always possible, but try anyways.

I have found that branched chain amino acids boosted my energy a little, plus cut my recovery time in half when I do crash. ......

Sounds like these are worth a try. How do I identify an appropriate supplement? I’ve only seen BC AAs in the context of weightlifting protein supplements which of course I no longer use, as I can’t exercise enough to need them.

Are BCAAs Available as a freestanding product? How much should we take?

Mary

Moderator Resource
Sounds like these are worth a try. How do I identify an appropriate supplement? I’ve only seen BC AAs in the context of weightlifting protein supplements which of course I no longer use, as I can’t exercise enough to need them.

Are BCAAs Available as a freestanding product? How much should we take?

Lots of companies sell BCAAs. I've taken 2 different products, both of which were effective. The first one I tried had glutamine added into it, which was helpful at the time, though I can't tolerate glutamine right now due to insomnia issues. Anyways, here's what I've taken:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/MRM-BCAA-G-6000-150-Capsules/12581
I took the recommended dose of 6 capsules a day, which equaled 5000 mg BCAAs - I took 3 capsules on an empty stomach 2 x a day

And this is what I'm currently taking and have taken for a long time:
https://smile.amazon.com/Optimum-Nu...pID=41nojoFS-PL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
I take 8 of these a day, in 2 doses on an empty stomach, which yields 4000 mg BCAAs

Here's a link to the thread where I first posted about BCAAs, which has links to several articles regarding this:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/bcaas-reducing-pem.34719/#post-541362

HowToEscape?

Lots of companies sell BCAAs. I've taken 2 different products, both of which were effective. The first one I tried had glutamine added into it, which was helpful at the time, though I can't tolerate glutamine right now due to insomnia issues. Anyways, here's what I've taken:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/MRM-BCAA-G-6000-150-Capsules/12581
I took the recommended dose of 6 capsules a day, which equaled 5000 mg BCAAs - I took 3 capsules on an empty stomach 2 x a day

Thx I’ll look into those.

Wishful

BCAA's are also available as a bulk powder. They don't do anything significant for me, other than delaying tryptophan transport into the brain, but at least they taste good (if not for the slight chemical taste, it would make a decent fruit flavour).