• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Crazy insane itching! Somebody make it go away!

place

Be Strong!
I know I have read from other people that itching occurs while on the protocol but I couldn't find the solution.

At least I think its from the protocol. There is not a square inch in me does not itch. A family member has Shingles, but I have had that before and don't see any rash. But I don't want to rule it out.

Rolling around in a bed of pine cones sounds wonderful..... or a body suit made of wool... while running... super fast....

xchocoholic

Did you try benadryl ? Two adult benadryl should stop it. If you did and it didn't help, you may want to go to the er. It sounds like an allergic reaction. Btw. A warm or hot shower is a bad idea when you have itching like this. Tc .. X

Ps. Fwiw many of us can't do the protocals recommended here. Our bodies are just too sensitive.

I often itch for no apparent reason but not continuously. However, I have been experiencing allergy like SX over the past couple of weeks for which some kind of antihistamine was appropriate. Benadryl sort of stopped working for me at some point, or at least the generic Rite Aid stuff did - it actually made me itch more a couple of times (I'm itching as I think about this and write it). The other day I took a Claritin because I read that second gen AH drugs are preferable anyway and that they should be taken as early as possible to stop the flood of antihistamines. You're already long gone in itching so too late to prematurely end it, but you need to break the cycle with something.

HTH.

Jason

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I'd try a topical antihistamine on one spot to try and block the probable cause, and a topical corticosteroid on another spot to just relieve the symptom. Then you can compare how each works.

On the other hand, if the problem somehow is kicked off by prostaglandins, then aspirin can help. (People who can't stand the itching and flushing from niacin use aspirin.)

Crux

Hi Place;

I'm still trying to sort this out, but I find that getting the zinc to copper ratio right helps process histamine. If I take too much zinc and too little copper, I get inflammed and itchy. ( mostly my eyes). I'm still not sure about the proper ratio. I've read that in the diet, the ideal ratio is 8 to 1. For every 8mgs. of zinc taken, there should be 1mg. of copper included.

Charles555nc

If I take antibiotics that dont help, I also get crazy itching but it may not be the same as what you are taking about.

Gestalt

If you are taking Niacin, may want to STOP! Based on your profile pic, and your style of writing I am guessing you are PNS dominant.

"Swallow 50mg of niacin (not niacinamide) on an empty stomach. If, within a half-hour, your skin turns red and you feel very, very hot and itchy, you have a meat-eating metabolism (Parasympathetic Dominant). If you feel warmer and have a better color in your face, then you have Balanced metabolism. If you don’t feel anything, then you have a grain-eating metabolism (Sympathetic Dominant). [This works because niacin produces alkaline effects, which worsens Parasympathetics, who are already too alkaline.]" (source)

If you take any of these...they may also be causing the issue, so take with caution.

Beta Carotene, Thaimin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin, Pyridoxine (B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Potassium, Manganese, Chromium, Alpha-linolenic acid

Itchy skin is a classic PNS symptom. Read my Metabolic Diet thread.

Also corticosteroids may help.

More on all this later.

*NOTE: edited the post to change supplements. Accidently put the wrong ones. It is correct now.

I am itching too, taking three caps of the Thorne V in the AM and one in the PM, along with several other vits and supps. Thorne has all of the above in it so could be that. I was supplementing copper because I test deficient in it (hair) but had recently stopped it. Maybe I need to add it back in - will do so with lunch in a minute to see if the itching subsides some.

place

Be Strong!
Thank you everyone! You are the wind beneath my wings...... the rock to which I build my foundation on... higher rankings than the Pope (no, I'm not Catholic, but I know one and saw John Paul live, when he was alive in Rome for Sunday mass, there for qualifying me for all things Catholic).

Wen't to bed last night (not sure why) still having "The (B) Itch". Just for "Fun" I took b2. It did not help. woke up with a mild variation of the "The (B) Itch" However; I think i have high histamine that has been building over the course of three weeks. Last night I cleaned up our loft area which was very dusty. I think it set me off. Also I have had IC for the past week off and on with NO UTI. To top it off, we have had no AC for the past 3 weeks. I have also noticed that I can't tollerate one of my drugs that I sometimes use for sleep.

Jasrich- I too have just taken copper. We will see. I really feel like something has been slowly depleted.
Crux: thanks for the suggestion, I have not had any copper and am not taking any multi. This may be the issue.

Nano (you have no idea how tempting it is to create ridiculous miss-spellings of your name due to my past inabilities in spelling your name correctly, but I will behave ), Sherlock and Gestalt- thank you for your food for thought. Just when I think I got stuff down, something pops up.

I will post back with my results of decreasing my histamine solutions or failures...

I know I have read from other people that itching occurs while on the protocol but I couldn't find the solution.

At least I think its from the protocol. There is not a square inch in me does not itch. A family member has Shingles, but I have had that before and don't see any rash. But I don't want to rule it out.

Rolling around in a bed of pine cones sounds wonderful..... or a body suit made of wool... while running... super fast....
I, too, have had a lot of itching and continue to have it today. I have heard that this is sometimes an issue for CFS patients, like myself. I have a tiny little pinhead type of rash that produces crazy itching and it is everywhere on my body. I am currently using cerave cream w/clobetasol solution prescribed by a dermatologist. I also have a type of dermatitis on my scalp that gets flaky and itchy. I have another topical solution that I use on that. For the scalp, it seems to help it subside somewhat, but always returns. The body dermatitis(what they call it I guess) never subsides. The body cream seems to help it, kind of eventually dries up those pinheads. But I still suffer from much itching. I won't even go outside as he mosquitos are so bad this year in Minnesota and they bite me immediately. I cannot take that itching on top of the other, both. The suggestion to use an anti-histamine and slow released Vitamin C is what I am going to try for Mast Cell Activation Disease, as most of us have probs with sinusitis, IBS, complex body organ issues with no explanations.

Marlène

For me crazy itchy scalp goes away with Saw Palmetto. It has to do with testosterone that is not well converted. It prevents hair loss if you take it over 4 months. I had crazy itchy and it has diminished substantially. Only a few days a months before my period it does come back, so some hormonal involvement I guess.

Crzay itching like crawling bugs is a typical complaint for fibromyalgia as well as some co-infections of Lyme.

freshveggies

I get itchy crawly skin when I am low in estrogen.

My son gets massive itchy skin when he eats high histamine foods. Two different types of itchies