1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Chronic fatigue syndrome in the media: a content analysis of newspaper articles"

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The full text is an easy read.
    No biology.
    Main statistics are bar charts and percentages.
    Short.

However, just because it's easy to read, doesn't mean it's not frustrating to read such an unbalanced piece ...

However, the reviewer, Peter White (see page 3), might not have been frustrated with the approach! (and maybe he "helped", as reviewers often give input)

Free full text: http://shortreports.rsmjournals.com/content/2/5/42.full

ETA: "alternative treatments" do not necessarily mean complementary therapy. It's everything that's not CBT/GET (the "evidence-based" treatments) or Lightning Process.

Abstracts tend to be more difficult to read than the full text of articles where everything is explained step by step in a less dense manner.

Enid likes this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

First author has co-published with Chalder, and final author wrote this with Wessely: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...ional-Medicine&p=141415&viewfull=1#post141415

I'm not really able to read this now, but thanks for posting it up. LOL at the "our study shows that the media should do more to promote our beliefs" type approach which Wessely et al have been taking for years. It's pretty insidious and corrupting imo. If there's to be a psychosocial examination of the media by researchers, it should not be by the same researchers who are promoting controversial and contested theories in other areas, where the media might be expected to pursue independent investigations.

taniaaust1 and Dolphin like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi, I have started a thread on what advocacy can do in response to these claims of evidence based medicine:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?16443-Evidence-Based-Medicine-For-ME-(and-CFS)

There is a link there to an older thread that is still good on EBM and Zombie Science:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...ncl-one-calling-it-a-quot-Zombie-Science-quot

I intend to say a lot about EBM over the next year but I am still doing background research. That will take months.

Anti-viral therapy, despite being an order of magnitude better than CBT/GET, would be considered an alternative therapy I think. I may say more after I have read ithe paper.

Bye, Alex

PS It is perhaps ironic that I agree with one thing they are saying: it is important that the media not be infected with bias. The bias I am talking about of course is the claim that "evidence based methods" are better than alternatives. Patients have tried these methods. They don't work. It should be more than a concern if the "evidence based methods" produce results that equate with failure. Perhaps there is something wrong with the evidence?

It is disturbing though that the lightning process is receiving so much glowing praise. I wonder if they are better at marketing than the EBM crowd?

Every single study that has looked at objective functional outcomes has found that functional capacity is either not improved or has worsened after CBT/GET. Somehow this is not considered good evidence despite their use of the RCT methodology. I wonder why? ;) These studies match the patient experience, which is another reason why we do not give CBT/GET any credibility. This is on top of the fact that the CBT/GET approach is based on medical ideas that belong in the dark ages.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Ok, will have a look again.
    One obvious thing in this case is that people can send in an e-letter. Max 400 words, 5 refs. Best to have one or two references (one can be the initial study if you're stuck!) to make it look like more professional. But e-letters don't have to be word perfect.

WillowJ likes this.
  5. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    the master thread on advocacy is here; you might perhaps like to add a post there about writing to journals? Although someone else did mention that on one of the threads, but I think not the master list.

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    I've skimmed this paper before. There were a few other media analysis papers (with different focuses), I think most if not all of them were cited in this one though.

7. Kelly

Kelly

I believe Dr. Jason's group is also working on a similar paper. Not sure when it will be published.

justinreilly, WillowJ and Enid like this.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.