1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Chalder & Knudsen: Long-term sickness absence among patients with chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Esther12, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It's a two page nothing paper. Probably better to read the full thing than the bits I pulled out, as it's so shot. Full paper should be available here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/innovation/groups/projects/cfs/publications/assets/2011/Knudsenlongtermsick.pdf

August 23, 2012

The measures they used:

When it comes to unemployment and filling in questionnaires related to embarrassment, the inability to comment upon cause and affect seems like an important failing, particualrly as the associations don't seem that strong.

Good point Trudie. Your quackery, and dishonesty about the efficacy of your treatments for CFS will have made these problems more difficult for those diagnosed with CFS. I don't think this should be used as an excuse to spend more money on your treatments though.

There is some evidence, isn't there Trudie? The £6 million PACE trial which you were a lead author on. Do you remember it? About a month ago, you released a paper which finally made available data showed your cognitive and behavioural treatments were not an effective intervention for returning patients to work.

Some more data available here:

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/suppl/2011/08/30/bjp.bp.110.082974.DC1/ds82974.pdf

When you look at the data, it's pretty clear that this paper could have been just half a page: 1) raw data, 2) say that nothing terribly significant or interesting was found, 3) conflict of interests section should mention ties to insurance companies who have a financial incentive to claim that psychological factors keep patients out of work.

Measures of disability in CFS are not very good, measures of things like 'Embarrassment avoidance' are not very good. Diagnosis of CFS is not very clear or objective. This paper is just a collection of questionnaire results from people in different situations, with different health problems, mashed together and analysed for associations. I can't believe how common these sorts of papers are in CFS. If these sorts of associations were found from objective data that we could be confident was free of confounding factors, then that would be of interest - this is just - ugh.
    Simon, wdb and Firestormm like this.
  2. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
  3. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    So those that are more sick are off work more.
    Sounds.... perfectly normal and reasonable and could have been achieved by looking at records.

I imagine the same finding would be made for any condition.

Are "catastrophising, damage beliefs, fear avoidance and embarrassment avoidance" even valid constructions?
    There should be information about validation of the questionnaires that were used. Is it available?
  4. Shell

Shell Senior Member

England
    9y9uk.gif How much did they spend on this? How long did it take to come up with "damage beliefs" etc?
  5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

"embarrassment avoidance cognitions"

Trudie, I'd like you to meet this mirror.

"avoidance resting behavioural responses"

I see self-parody is making a comeback.
    peggy-sue likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.