1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

CBD OIL... Anyone tried it? It's legal now.

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Zensational, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    With all the disclaimers attached to the products, I doubt such a claim would bear fruit. They all make sure they say it isn't medicine and hasn't been evaluated by the FDA, etc, etc. But all publicity is good, eh?

And wouldn't the Feds and the DEA and FDA love to use it as an excuse to make the product more difficult to make and/or obtain?

I got a message on your "here" link that said their security certificate isn't any good so I didn't open that page. The other page, though, is very interesting to me. The "420" refers to the Colorado law making recreational use legal and all the details of that. I wasn't aware of that publication, so thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Interesting that the product she blasts in her subject line is the "elixirs", some kind of drink, but doesn't go into detail about those. She then blasts the "hemp oil drops" and if what she says is true, it's good to know.
  2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    People sometimes get messages saying that the security certificate for Phoenix Rising is no good, I think! I think it happens when the site owner has forgotten to renew the certificate or something. What software said that it was no good?
  3. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    Internet explorer flashes that up on the screen and asks if I want to open it anyway. I've never had that happen with PR.
  4. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Oh, right. Firefox doesn't have any issues with it, and I understand that Firefox is generally more secure than IE (or used to be) which is why I use it.

Here is what the page says anyway:

peggy-sue likes this.
  5. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    and here is a page by the manufacturers putting their side of the story.
    peggy-sue likes this.
  6. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    I just get a gut feeling about all this.
    Added to by the single post and radio silence since.

Though the main point, that it is always wise to investigate the source and purity of any supplement or medicine we are taking, remains true.
  7. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Always good to have both sides of the story.:)

I do feel a bit sorry for Ms. Wise though.
    I'm not sure what I think about a business claiming ownership of somebody's intellectual input, even if it was while employed by them. I don't like it one little bit. Somebody's intellect is theirs alone, as is anything they come up with.
    A business can use it, but not own it.
  8. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Though it does seem silly, most people working as employees sign contracts at the time of employment signing away their rights to any creative or intellectual materials produced while working there. I don't like it either, but the majority of people don't scratch this clause out of their contract before signing.

I think we are at a transitional time in human history where we are faced with the consequences of institutions (both ideological and physical) that are built on zero-sum competitive paradigms, rather than cooperative, benefit-for-all paradigms.
    Iquitos, Sean and NK17 like this.
  9. Hip

Hip Senior Member

An interesting thread on CBD oil can be found here: Anyone tried cannabidiol (CBD)? - Mental Health - LONGECITY

In the above thread, several people with anxiety symptoms are trying out CBD oil for its anxiolytic effects. There are varied responses: some people say they feel nothing from CBD oil; others get good anxiolytic effects initially, but then develop a tolerance to CBD, such that subsequent use has reduced effect; and other people found CBD consistently very beneficial for their anxiety. People note that CBD does dull them mentally at higher dose levels.

In the above thread they also mention that:

CBD oil is available from this UK company: Medivape
    Medivape's 20 ml tincture bottle costs £25 + £3 UK shipping, and each 1 ml contains 5 mg of CBD, so that's a total of 100 mg of CBD in the whole bottle.

For comparison, the Cibdex 1 oz (30 ml) tincture bottle costs £37 + £4 UK shipping on Amazon UK, and also contains a total of 100 mg of CBD. Each 1 ml contains 3.3 mg of CBD.

So Medivape is cheaper.

One of the guys who runs Medivape comments in the above thread (under username "cbdbro").

They also mention in that thread that flax contains a cannabinoid-like compound which is probably CBD. See:

Getting the Flax Straight about Cannabidiol - Philadelphia medical marijuana | Examiner.com
    Cannabinoid-like anti-inflammatory compounds from flax fiber

This fact might help explain why I found that 15 ml flax seed oil has useful anti-anxiety and anti-psychosis benefits (see my anti-anxiety thread here).
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  10. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Interesting about flax. Several people have reported getting anxiolytic effects from flax (oil?) on Phoenix Rising. I have a load of flax seeds that I haven't used as I don't have a grinder and they are too hard to grind using a pestle and mortar. Think I may get a grinder now!
  11. nomad

nomad Anyone interested in a London Support group?

London, UK
    I've just been looking into Cannabidiol and the reviews are mixed. I'm looking at in relation to anxiety and inflammation. Very interesting connection @Hip between flax and Cannabidiol. I find flax seed oil very helpful.

But generally all fats are good for inflammation and anxiety. Great building blocks for the brain and nervous system. I now use a combination of flax, evening primrose, olive oil, coconut (very good) and (grass-fed) butter.
  12. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Not all fats are good for inflammation and anxiety. The ones you use are good, but not those high in linoleic acid (not to be confused with linolenic acid, which is good!).

See here for example:

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/gammalinolenic-acid

See more popular forum discussions.