Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can Methotrexate be used for ME?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by carvahlo, Nov 13, 2017 at 5:36 AM.

1. carvahlo

carvahlo

I have just started taking Methotrexate for my eczema, I have just seen that there is some link to improving ME. So far I have taken one small dose and it has made me very tired, my energy levels have dipped a lot. Is there many studies to show it can help ME, because if the side effects continue and my energy levels don't pick up I am very unlikely to stay on this medication, unless it has a dramatic effect on my eczema

pattismith likes this.
  2. Murph

Murph :)

3. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

Methotrexate has inflammatory and immunosupressive functions.

It can improve ME or make it worse, so you will have to pay attention to your feelings.

4. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

I know Fluge and Mella patented Methotrexate for ME, but seem to remember they stopped looking into it due to side effects in pilot patients. @deleder2k

pattismith likes this.
  5. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

Warning, the risk for toxicity is increased for MTHFR C677T polymorphism (especially when homozygous).

For MTHFR A1298C polymorphism, the risk is not clearly modifyed

See more popular forum discussions.