1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Butyrate reduces intestinal permeability

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by guest, Jul 11, 2010.

1. guest

guest Guest

The author of the following post on LE, Kofi, is a genious in my eyes. Nobody knows more about intestinal permeability (leaky gut) or BBB disruption.

Does anyone know how to increase Butyrate? I read that fiber or resistant starch is a good way to go.

http://groups.google.com/group/sci....8333a?lnk=gst&q=kofi barrier#28aa1babe368333a

This suggests that a number of AMPK activators - like calorie
    restriction - could be useful for leaky gut conditions and it links
    intestinal barrier function to an important longevity pathway. It puts
    butyrate production in the gut from dietary fiber right in the middle of
    a number of problems, including longevity research, cancer prevention,
    insulin sensitivity, innate immunity and autoimmunity.
    J Nutr. 2009 Sep;139(9):1619-25. Epub 2009 Jul 22.

Butyrate enhances the intestinal barrier by facilitating tight junction
    assembly via activation of AMP-activated protein kinase in Caco-2 cell
    monolayers.
    Peng L, Li ZR, Green RS, Holzman IR, Lin J.
    Department of Pediatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
    10029-6574, USA.
    Butyrate, one of the SCFA, promotes the development of the intestinal
    barrier.
    However, the molecular mechanisms underlying the butyrate
    regulation of the intestinal barrier are unknown. To test the hypothesis
    that the effect of butyrate on the intestinal barrier is mediated by the
    regulation of the assembly of tight junctions involving the activation
    of the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), we determined the effect of
    butyrate on the intestinal barrier by measuring the transepithelial
    electrical resistance (TER) and inulin permeability in a Caco-2 cell
    monolayer model. We further used a calcium switch assay to study the
    assembly of epithelial tight junctions and determined the effect of
    butyrate on the assembly of epithelial tight junctions and AMPK
    activity. We demonstrated that the butyrate treatment increased AMPK
    activity and accelerated the assembly of tight junctions as shown by the
    reorganization of tight junction proteins, as well as the development of
    TER.
    AMPK activity was also upregulated by butyrate during calcium
    switch-induced tight junction assembly. Compound C, a specific AMPK
    inhibitor, inhibited the butyrate-induced activation of AMPK. The
    facilitating effect of butyrate on the increases in TER in standard
    culture media, as well as after calcium switch, was abolished by
    compound C. We conclude that butyrate enhances the intestinal barrier by
    regulating the assembly of tight junctions. This dynamic process is
    mediated by the activation of AMPK.
    These results suggest an intriguing
    link between SCFA and the intracellular energy sensor for the
    development of the intestinal barrier.
    PMID: 19625695
    Emootje and Soundthealarm21 like this.
  2. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Good catch Diesel...

I completely forgot about butyrate. One of many docs recommended it years ago for adrenal problems and also brain fog (which suggests I should buy a case or two!)...as it detoxifies ammonia levels, which can cause b-f.

Several companies make a calcium/magnesium butyrate supplement. A google search will turn up at least a half dozen.

d.
  3. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
  4. Rosemary

Rosemary Senior Member

Hi Diesel,

Thanks so much for posting this information... I'm also very interested in butyrate...I've previously looked at ways at increasing butyrate levels to help my son with reducing his seizures...I'm certain that oat bran helps increase butyrate levels and butter is high in butyric acid

for your interest Dr Kane uses phenylbutyrate... further info below from a post by Kent Heckenlively discussing his daughters treatment [ Kent Heckenlively is Legal Editor of Age of Autism]

Dr. Kane has been using the short chain fatty acid, phenylbutyrate for the past 14 years for children with seizure disorders, post stroke, brain injury, and autism. She found that phenylbutyrate as a prescription or over the counter, burned off very long chain fatty acids, but without the complications of HBOT. Phenylbutyrate though must be used with balanced essential fatty acids and phosphatidylcholine to keep the cells healthy.

Children with seizures are more likely to have a buildup of very long chain fatty acids, but an exceptionally low amount of total lipid content within their cells, and thus HBOT treatment may increase their seizure activity. The high level of myelin marker DMAs (indicating brain inflammation) , elevation of very long chain fatty acids (also from brain and liver inflammation) with low essential fatty acid levels from my daughter’s test also explains the failure of her stem cell treatments last year. Her body didn’t have enough short chain fatty acids to provide the raw materials necessary for the stem cells to flourish.

In a similar vein, the ketogenic diet, which involves eating a great deal of fat, causes the body to burn off very long chain fatty acids forming lipid rafts or ceramides, but may not fully resolve the problem unless the essential fatty acids, phosphatidylcholine and butyrate are given. This may be why approximately one-third of the children who have success on the diet have their seizures reappear after stopping the diet. There is no need to use the severe restrictions of the ketogenic diet as Kane describes in another chapter of the book, "Food and Nutrients in Disease Management" on seizures. Kane has a diet called the Membrane Stabilizing Diet and can be found in the Detox Book for Patients.
  5. keenly

keenly Senior Member

yes indeed Butyrate seems to be an amazing supplement

However the calcium in most products can be an issue

bodybio do a great sodium/potassium one which is ideal for me as my sodium and potsassium are SUPER LOW!
  6. helsbells

helsbells Senior Member

UK
    Thanks keenly that is a great heads up I have added that to favourites as next on the list to try :Retro smile:
  7. Alexia

Alexia Senior Member

Portugal
    I'm taking Butyrate from BodyBio, I really notice a difference. My intestines feel less sore then before.
  8. helsbells

helsbells Senior Member

UK
    Thanks for this thread this has led me to read a little of the Kane stuff which is very interesting. I am already trying to persevere more with the EFAs so taking this and the phos col should be doable. :Retro smile: It was also interesting to read anecdotally somewhere that someone thought his daughters autism stem cell treatment coulod have failed because they hadn't done this and therefore one possibility was that she didn't have any fuel to use for re-generation. It is just difficlut as someone with severe MCS getting this stuff in when even something as simple as fatty acids can be a problem. So the non cal body bio product looks good - anyone recomend a brand of phos col?
  9. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

Is butter as potent as the pills?
  10. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

Sara, I think there is a difference in the way different souces of butyrate behave in the gut. My understanding is that what's ideal in our case is the butyrate formed as a metabolite from certain fibre in the late stages of digestion - in the lower bowel (and butter is absorbed higher up). The ideal fermentation of the fibre is dependant on certain probiotics being present too.
    Hope that makes sense!
  11. ross

ross

AOR used to have a butyrate enema, but I cannot find it on their website and I don't remember it's name. E-mail them and ask about it. They also carried a probiotic called Probio 3 which I found to be the best probiotic for me in synergistic combination with L sporogenes which they also carry. One of the organisms in Probi 3 produces natural butyrate which is always the best way to go. You should do your own due diligence to verify this. If you try Probi 3 be sure to take it between meals, on an empty stomach. Hope this helps.
    AOR's website is :
    http://www.aor.ca/main.php
  12. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    In case it aids anyone I've been on Butyric Acid and Quercetin (Bio Care Labs) for severe IBS and found relief over a couple of months now. Not cured but much relief.

See more popular forum discussions.