• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Briefing on the Institute of Medicine report in Washington, D.C. --webcast March 25

Nielk

On March 25, the Solve ME/CFS Initiative will host a briefing on the Institute of Medicine report in Washington, D.C. The briefing, which will include media, congressional leaders and executive branch decision-makers, is intended to further the IOM report momentum and turn the report into action, particularly by urging additional federal research funding.

It is interesting that Solve ME/CFS Initiative is "hosting" this event. SMCI is solely a research organization. They are not a patient advocacy organization any longer. They are spending money that people have targeted for research, for hosting this promotion of a government sponsored diagnostic criteria. Why?

Denise

"particularly by urging additional federal research funding."
From what I gather from the SMCI blurb - they are trying to build on IOM momentum in order to push for more research funding. That seems to fall in line with the SMCI mission as a research organization. Some of the researchers that SMCI has funded have gone on to get federal funding... So getting more federal funding could mean that larger scale studies that build on the work originally funded by SMCI could be done.
Some of the criticisms of work on this disease is that studies are small, studies need validating....
More federal funds is definitely needed to do larger studies and validating studies.
I would be surprised if can't all endorse the need for funding for biomedical research.

Last edited:

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Yes, any attention that we can get from lawmakers and decision-makers about our plight should surely help us. I am hoping that attendance is up! And the invited media will put out another round of articles about us. What can lawmakers say about an IOM report? That it's untrue? No, we finally have a hammer on our side and I want to use it over and over and over again.

Last edited:

Ember

If Hillary Johnson, the author of Osler's Web is saying that she has been a patient for at least 2decades, I believe her. She is a credible source.
From an article dated October 2012:
I’ve been reading Osler’s Web: Inside the Labyrinth of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Epidemic by Hillary Johnson, an American journalist who has researched the rise and spread of the illness in America in painstaking detail, and the medical establishment’s failure to take it seriously....

Johnson...reports how the government felt there was surprisingly little lobbying by the sufferers of the illness, which is the way that ‘new’ diseases call political attention to themselves, and eventually, research money. No one seemed able to put two and two together that CFS-ers were just too sick and too tired to organise a lobby. Plus, the celebrity cases were not keen to identify themselves with the illness. Johnson reckons that the register of sufferers included James Garner, Robert Wagner, Morgan Fairchild, Cher, David Puttnam, Kirstie Alley and Cathy Lee Crosby, but few spoke out publicly. Cher was reported as falling ill for more than three years after a flu-like virus and another patient declared “I’d like to be in the room when you tell Cher… that her illness is due to ‘unachievable ambitions and poor coping skills.’”

aimossy

I just came across this petition.

"We ask that you no longer rely on the CFIDS Association of America, now renamed “Solve ME/CFS Initiative” as "our voice". We have our own voice, and it is not that of the Solve ME/CFS Initiative” or the CFIDS Association of America."

https://www.change.org/p/us-secreta..._responsive&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-custom_msg

I am wondering why - if these are so easy to produce so fast and taken seriously - we can't find how to do one of these asking for funding for biomedical research into ME/CFS. What sort of petitions are the best for making waves? Surely funding for research is the biggest priority and something we all can agree on!

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I just came across this petition.

"We ask that you no longer rely on the CFIDS Association of America, now renamed “Solve ME/CFS Initiative” as "our voice". We have our own voice, and it is not that of the Solve ME/CFS Initiative” or the CFIDS Association of America."

https://www.change.org/p/us-secreta..._responsive&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-custom_msg

I am wondering why - if these are so easy to produce so fast and taken seriously - we can't find how to do one of these asking for funding for biomedical research into ME/CFS. What sort of petitions are the best for making waves? Surely funding for research is the biggest priority and something we all can agree on!

There was one started yesterday.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/petition-for-more-nih-funding.36279/

It makes far more sense to me to support this event than to criticise it. Yes, there are patients who don't support the IOM recommendations but there are many who do.

Quite frankly, we DON'T seem to have a patient voice at all, at the moment, or at least one that can act in a timely manner. If we did, we've have had a petition and a mass-email campaign going within a week of the IOM report coming out, pressuring the NIH to cough up more money. It would have been directed at congress and other decision-makers.

Maybe Solve saw a massive, advocacy-shaped hole and are trying to fill it. Instead of trying to chip away at Morgan Fairchild and what illness she has/had and what sort of campaigning she's done and whether it's OK for Solve to spend a small amount of money in what could bring in major bucks, I think we should support them.

Roy S

former DC ME/CFS lobbyist
I think this briefing could be very beneficial although there is not enough information about it yet. I hope this is a congressional briefing on Capitol Hill sponsored by a powerful member of Congress with the right people in attendance and watching the webcast.

Unless and until there is the critically needed inclusive coalition for our disease "speaking with one voice" on Capitol Hill someone needs to do things like this.

I hope Dr. Ellen Wright Clayton speaks in the forceful way she just wrote in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

I've never had any contact with Morgan Fairchild, but the knowledge I have gives me some hope that she will do at least some good in addition to just bringing attention to the briefing. The article about her that Hillary Johnson linked to is interesting.
https://twittercom/oslersweb/status/577189888111460352

I think this briefing could be very beneficial although there is not enough information about it yet. I hope this is a congressional briefing on Capitol Hill sponsored by a powerful member of Congress with the right people in attendance and watching the webcast....
<respectfully snipped>

Me too, Roy. I'll be even more hopeful when I find out which "...media, congressional leaders and executive branch decision-makers...." will be attending. (I'm not that interested in celebrities, though I appreciate their good will.)

I've emailed SolveCFS.org asking if they can share any updated information.

In any case, I'm optimistic that this is another positive move forward. :thumbsup:

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
My understanding is that the IOM committe briefed congress before releasing their findings to the public and that this is a press conference is designed to garner media coverage on the severity of the disease and the need for research funding. Said coverage would theoretically pressure the powers that be to increase research funding.

It may not meet everyone's standards, but doing something is often better than doing nothing at all. Perfection is rarely achieved in real life. Forward progress can be made on successive approximations. It's something. It's all we've got. Let's keep that momentum moving forward. I've got my fingers crossed!

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Thanks for the reminder. I came in for the last 20 words of Dr. Clayton's presentation, have no idea what I've missed.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Wow I thought it was really good. All the speakers were powerful within their own arena. Dr. Ellen Wright Clayton is such a great advocate for us - she truly gets it and she carries so much weight when she talks.

I didn't take notes, so I can't remember all the great things said, but one of the high points for me was when Carol Head showed government funding tables of our illness compared to other equally severe illnesses, and concluded (from simple math) that the government should fund ME/CFS at $250 million annually. Go Carol! :thumbsup:

Dr. Ellen Wright Clayton is impressive in her knowledge and her ability to speak to the urgency of addressing this illness.

She spoke of how much research and discussion went into the IoM report to make it the most comprehensive to date.
She reviewed the IoM report's important recommendations.

She was emphatic that now there's no excuse for any more ignorance (or stupidity :>)

She also said that it's recommended that everything in the report be revisited within 5 years, including the new name.

Carol Head was very well-spoken and listed specific key points, number one being the need for hundreds of thousands more dollars for research.

The need for the CDC to correct/update their toolkit for medical professionals was mentioned.

They both spoke of the immediate need for accurate education of medical professionals.

I was very pleased that Carol Head pointedly commented that new doctors are coming out of medical school even today without the knowledge needed to diagnose & treat this illness. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

catly

I agree with the comments so far, I think Dr Clayton and Carol Head did a good job. Carol wove in some moving vignettes and really honed in on the pathetic NIH funding --actually scrolling through the list of diseases funded by NIH in descending order to the very bottom where MECFS is. I thought she definitely got her point across. Unfortunately the broadcast only showed the speaker and we couldn't see the slides.

I didn't hear all of Morgan Fairchilds speech, I started to cringe a little in the beginning about her saying she HAD the disease but as her description went on I think it got better and she did say she was a very "mild" case.

I don't know if there was a Q& A , I would have loved to have listened to that.

Last thought, unless it came up at the end there wasn't too much about the name-- but if SOLVE ME/ CFS were to support that I guess they'd have to change ther name, again.

Definitely worth watching this when the video is up.

Gemini

Wow I thought it was really good. All the speakers were powerful within their own arena. Dr. Ellen Wright Clayton is such a great advocate for us - she truly gets it and she carries so much weight when she talks.

To the audience question of what's next, Dr. Clayton mentioned Morgan Fairchild helped arrange a meeting for her with NIAID Director Anthony Fauci.

Good step! Hope we get feedback on it from Morgan or others.