• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Petition for More NIH Funding

Sasha

Fine, thank you
The target for the petition is the NIH.

Maryiln Lemmon said:
According to the recent Institute of Medicine report, up to 2.5 million Americans have chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

Patients with ME/CFS are more functionally impaired than those with other disabling illnesses, including congestive heart failure, multiple sclerosis, and end-stage renal disease.

The NIH funds ME/CFS at $5 million per year, and that amount is estimated by the NIH to stay about the same through 2016. The NIH spends almost 10 times more on attention deficit disorder, 15 times more on infertility, and 80 times more on depression.

The IOM report confirms this dismal state of affairs, stating that remarkably little research funding has been made available, especially given the number of people afflicted.

Please help get more funding for this devastating and badly neglected illness. Please sign only if you are a resident of the United States. Thanks!

catly

I went to sign it but it asked for full name, address and I never heard of Maryiln Lemmon before. If someone can confirm that she is a PWME and that the petition is legit, I will gladly sign.

(sorry, just been a little cautious lately with giving out identifying information).

Denise

Is this the entire text of the petition?

"According to the recent Institute of Medicine report, up to 2.5 million Americans have chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

Patients with ME/CFS are more functionally impaired than those with other disabling illnesses, including congestive heart failure, multiple sclerosis, and end-stage renal disease.

The NIH funds ME/CFS at $5 million per year, and that amount is estimated by the NIH to stay about the same through 2016. The NIH spends almost 10 times more on attention deficit disorder, 15 times more on infertility, and 80 times more on depression.

The IOM report confirms this dismal state of affairs, stating that remarkably little research funding has been made available, especially given the number of people afflicted.

Please help get more funding for this devastating and badly neglected illness. Please sign only if you are a resident of the United States. Thanks!"

Is there a dollar amount requested?
(I would be slightly more at ease if there were specifics about types of research to be funded (as in biomedical).)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Is this the entire text of the petition?

Yes.

Is there a dollar amount requested?
(I would be slightly more at ease if there were specifics about types of research to be funded (as in biomedical).)

No, no specific dollar amount requested.

Personally, I don't think the NIH would get away with expanding its budge and spending a load of it on psych research in this day and age - we're in a new dawn now, I think. Even if the petition specified that it should be biomed, there'd be nothing to hold the NIH to that, though.

Let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good, though! This is the only petition I've seen that calls on the NIH for more funding post-IOM-report so I think we should support it and make the most of it.